SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Ugly worms and Rose canker

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

Appealing topics, I know.

I've been happily digging parts of the Rose Road lately, lifting off the hay mulch, which by now has left a thin layer of compost on the soil, and getting my spade into the compacted ground below. Every once in a while I encounter some unappealing (to say the least) worms. They are about 1" to 1 1/2" long and perhaps 1/4" or a little less at the widest point, tapered, mud-colored and with rough, dry-ish skin (not slimy or glossy), segmented (body looking like it's made of little rings), with no other distinguishing features, no head, horns, bristles, markings: nothing. They come in colonies of perhaps a few dozen at a time and are found in the compost layer between hay mulch and solid dirt, possibly also down in the dirt itself. I've been tossing them out in the road when I find them, because they just look nasty, but I'd to know what these little plug-uglies are.

Canker. While pruning the oldest canes off 'Felicia' yesterday I took a look at the swelling at a joint, where damage through the skin to inside the joint was visible. When cut open the swollen area showed some blackish tissue unlike normal healthy tissue. The cane above the swollen area looked fairly normal, however, with healthy-looking twigs and buds. Is this canker? I've seen similar symptoms on other roses: I prune the cane off in such cases and burn the canes. If the wood is diseased, how should I dispose of it? Normally I compost pruned material (I don't worry about blackspot or mildew), but this seems unwise in this case. I also sterilize the pruner after pruning off such a cane. I appreciate advice.

Thanks,

Melissa

Comments (8)