SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Cannelloni - first course or main dish?

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Since there was a discussion about mac and cheese (which I do not make or eat) being a side dish or main course, I thought I would start one about cannelloni, which I do make and eat and is somewhat similar to mac and cheese - or about as close to it as anything I do make.

One Italian cookbook that I have says that it is a first course in Italy, confirmed by this website. I instead served it as a main course, but I do also have salad with it (not shown in photo).

I was inspired to make this because I watched Mary Ann Esposito make it on Ciao Italia and got some good tips from her. I make my own variation, however, and I used a marinara sauce instead of besciamella, although I understand that both are used in Italy.

One important tip I learned from Mary Ann was to cut a 4" x 5" rectangle out of paper to use as a guide for cutting the pasta, and this worked very well for me. The cannelloni fit perfectly in my rectangular Pyrex pan.

For the filling, I sautéed some onion and a bit of red bell pepper (just because I have it) with some minced chile de arbol (for heat), and then I added a sausage that I had removed from its wrapper. The sausage was from Bristol Farms, where they make their own, and it was fairly large - about 5.5 ounces. Then I added a full bunch of spinach and cooked that just enough to wilt the spinach.

I think I like this better than lasagna, and I also think it is actually easier to make. It also cooks faster, but I had to put it into two pans, as I wanted to have it in a single layer, and my pasta recipe made 15 sheets of pasta that were 4x5".

If you have this as a first course, what would the next course be? I found it to be a bit filling, and I only ate two, as shown, but Kevin wanted three.

Comments (25)