SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_687805990

Bamboozled into buying a smoker's house!

Jim Beam
2 years ago

We recently bought a house that we thought needed minor repairs. Lo and behold the sellers hid the fact that the previous owner was a smoker. The house had been "freshly painted" with "new floors" so the paint and varnish smell hid any sign of smoke. The house was empty so there weren't any signs of smoke on curtains, etc. We are both asthmatic and so are our kids. We stayed there a couple of nights and one of us got sick for 3 days.
Since they painted over the smoke without having cleaned the walls (I'm assuming) we can't clean with vinegar like many other posts suggested. In fact, we did it anyway. No help. We painted before we knew there was an issue. So there goes that money. At this point the house has at least 4 coats of paint. The closets have about 8 coats of paint, 2 of which were BIN Shellac based paint. Still smells. We also installed new ducts/HVAC and had the 4 year old furnace sanitized, cool cleaned, etc. Etc.
Now we're thinking of breaking down all of the walls to the studs. Does anyone have experience with this? With all of the rain there's a combo of smoke and humidity. So the house stinks!!! Let me be very clear, it's not just about the smell, my family has gotten sick staying here and now when we're here for extended periods (7+ hours), my wife gets a sore throat and I get headaches.
Will removing the walls fix this issue? Will the humidity issue from the basement continue to bring up the smoke smell from the basement? We removed all of the faux wood paneling from the basement and I think that made the smell worse. Trying to figure out if we should finish the basement first to see if that will fix the issue, since the humidity seems to be activating the smoke smell.
We considered selling, but we would be out of 40k or more. Please help.

Comments (18)