SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

Pellet Smoker Tube

User
5 years ago

Thanks for 2ManyDiversions, for her review of a pellet smoker tube and to Dcarch for suggesting a pellet smoker tube. Not something I had heard of until Dcarch mentioned it.

I ordered the same one that 2ManyDiversions ordered, the Lizzq Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12" from Amazon.

I went to three stores yesterday trying to find smaller bags of pellets. I was hoping to buy a variety of woods. Unfortunately, I could only find large bags so I went with the Green Mountain Grills Premium Texas blend. So now I have a 28 pound bag of pellets that I suspect will last me all summer, if not longer.

I wanted to try a rack of ribs and couldn't wait. So this morning I rubbed one rack of baby back ribs with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and a cajun rub. Filled the tube, lite it with my new blow torch, bought for this purpose and let it burn for 10 minutes before blowing out the flame.

I have a six burner grill so I put the smoker on the right hand side of the grill. Place the ribs to the left of the tube, and turned on the next two burners on low. The temperature held steady at 300°F.

The ribs were tender in just under 3 hours. And had the wonderful smoked flavour I was hoping for.

No pictures. Moe and I just shared the rack as is. No sauces, no nothing. Just the ribs. Didn't even take time to take a photo. They were so good.

There was still more than an hour of smoke time left in the tube so I decided to let the grill cool, and then try cold smoking a piece of cheddar.

I cut a piece off of a brick of marbled cheddar and placed it on the top rack of the grill.

The pellet tube was under and just to the left of the cheese. In order to direct the smoke to the cheese, I draped a piece of foil loosely over the cheese and down so that the smoke was somewhat trapped.

Here is what it looked like after about 50 minutes. As you can see from the unsmoked piece, the cheese really took on some smoke.

I turned the cheese every 10 to 15 minutes. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't melting and sticking to the rack.

Matthew loves smoked cheese so this is going to make him very happy.

Comments (17)