SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_bello3

Impact Window Questions - Hopefully oberon476 sees this :)

2 years ago

I live in the St. Pete area of Florida on the beach. Currently I have 58 windows in my house that are Andersen 400 series windows. They are wood frame with a vinyl coating and they are hurricane resistant as they are 20 years old. Removing one previously, it seems they are laminated. As when we threw bricks at them, it "cracked" like a windshield. When we put a lighter to the windows, we see 3 flames. I am guessing they are not "impact" per se as they were manufactured just before those certifications were put in place. Anyway, I am struggling on what to replace them with. 50% of the picture windows the seals seems to have failed. As when we pulled the interior trim return casing, we can see that from where the bottom of the window meets the frame, it is water damaged and currently wet and mushy and that part of the frame is obviously compromised. I don't see any similar failures on the casements, but that may be due to how they are constructed. So seeing that after only 20 years (I just bought the house and they have been leaking for a while the previous owner mentioned) so they may have failed in as little as 15 years. I could see one or two, but about 13 of the picture windows is concerning. Andersen's reply was just go out and silicone the window and you will probably be fine as that is all they would do if they did not just fall out of warranty. On the casements, about 25% (or 3 of them out of 12 ) seem to have failed in the sense that they let condensation between the glass. So a little different failure, but still seems to be a seal issue. So obviously I am concerned about replacing them with Andersen. The sliders were even worse and those I did replace with PGT already. I am not super worried about the windows being the same brand as the sliders as the sliders are all west facing and the rest of the windows are the other 3 walls of the house. The other concern I have with Andersen is the wood frames rotting and possible termite damage. Although, my frame house has had termites in the past, I seen damage on some of the jacks, but not the frame. But Andersen said they do not treat them for WDO. So maybe luck? No idea. I am considering PGT, Simonton, CWS, but I am running into a few issues. One of the picture windows is 78 high by 73. It seems like only Andersen may be able to make one that big impact rated. I am not sure why the other companies can't. PGT is looking into it as they said they may be able to do FL impact, just not Miami Dade. So we will see. Other items of concern: I was told by some that vinyl frames are not as strong as aluminum or the wood frames by Andersen (which honestly look cheap as they are made from Jack Pine which is the cheapest of the cheap soft woods). I was also told that the vinyl impact windows lose their strength over time from the sun beating on them. I am not sure if this is true or not. I am not a big fan of aluminum as that corrodes and I have been told the heat gain and the way they do the corners on them are not the best for water infiltration. Again, I don't know if those statements are true or not. To me, it seems like vinyl won't rot, termites won't eat, and should be water proof, so the only drawback may be strength if the statement that they are not as strong as sun exposure is true? I don't know and I don't want to make a $150K mistake. So if you had to pick vinyl, wood or aluminum framed impact windows on the coast, which would you pick and which brand if it was your house and why? Are any of the things I stated above seem way off base? Anything you think I am missing in trying to figure this out? Thanks, Bob

Comments (12)