SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
222muchcoffee

Exterior New Look -- need opinions on color, please

Coffee Dude
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am updating the look of this house with a bit of a cedar "magnolia style" touches. My time and money is limited, and will do more in a year or two.

1. Replacing the door with a fiberglass (shaker panel - 1/4 lights -3 at top.) I am removing screen door.

-----was thinking a turquoise or a color that stands out for nice accent. ????

2. I am installing 2 6x6" cedar columns "rough cut - red western cedar" and using probably a nearly translucent stain - keeping it light to medium similar to the natural look. The columns will be relocated to be on each end of the gable roof. So column on the right side is about in the right spot, and the one on the left will be moved about 8 ft to the left (in cedar). Is keeping the cedar a light natural color the best approach -- I could go a bit darker to a medium tone to stand out more against the brick?

3. Finally I am adding cedar shutters -(will custom build them and they will match the posts.

Will the cedar and the orangy brick look too similar ? Any suggestions for short-term and a long-term color scheme? Longer-term might mean doing a German schmear to the brick -- not sure. Also, would probably paint the trim (facia) in a year or so. This is a 1964 yr built home in San Antonio, TX.

Comments (13)