SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Remember my roof leak that came through the kitchen ceiling?

Alisande
2 years ago

The leak happened on May 3. It is now July 3. Early in May the contractor cut big square holes in the kitchen ceiling and set up a Typhoon air mover to dry out the area above the ceiling. Because we've had a lot of rain, and because the new roofer didn't think a tarp would do any good (he was wrong), I've given that LOUD Typhoon a lot of use. I've been living with bowls on the kitchen floor and no kitchen lighting all this time. Oh, and no dishwasher . . . remember, my dishwasher broke in January. My daughter was prepared to buy me a new one for my birthday, but I didn't want to have it delivered until the roof leak was fixed and the kitchen restoration complete.

Nothing is ever simple, but the new roofers finally arrived this morning. They had explained that the leak occurred because the guy who put the new roof on two years ago neglected to install flashing around the dormer. So that was done this morning. Then they sent me before-and-after pictures, and an invoice. I got out my checkbook. And then it rained.

The leak hasn't even slowed down. The bowls are filling up. My contact at the roofing company is camping this weekend with his extended family, celebrating a relative's high school graduation. I hated to even email him about this, but I did. I'll call the office tomorrow and (probably) leave a message.

The things we take for granted . . . when I can once again flip a switch to make the kitchen light up, I'll be thrilled. And if at the same time the big blue Typhoon disappears from the center of the kitchen floor, and all the bowls and towels vanish as well, it'll be like a miracle.

Comments (30)