SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntt_hou

Bad Sunday... roof leaks... please help!

ntt_hou
16 years ago

I woke up early this morning from the sound of rain and 5 minutes later, the sound of a leaking roof. It was still dark so I started turning on all the lights to find the leak. It was dripping heavily in several areas at the utility room and the breakfast area right next to it. It was going through a 2nd door on the other side of the wall which is the living room. It was like a water fall.

I'm having my roof replaced and it was obvious where the leaks were coming from. It was where the roof guys have worked yesterday. I hurridly called the roof guys and they came right over. Luckily, 10 minutes after they got to my house the rain stopped. They said that the plastic cover got blew away from the roof.

He promised to replace the insulation and paint over the ceiling after drying it out. Is that all the repairs needed? I mean, there're at least 6 stains on the ceiling and a couple are approximate 12" x 12", the rest are no smaller than 3"x3". They're about 2 feet apart (photos below). Should I make them replace the ceiling in that area or would a paint job takes care of it? What about the door and its frame, should this be replaced or just leave it to dry out?

Utility room overall:

{{!gwi}}

Utility room, this area had gotten a bit bigger since this photo:

{{!gwi}}

Breakfast area, wall between utility room:

{{!gwi}}

I live in Houston where's humidity is high and mold and mildew easily find areas to grow. Would painting over the stains take care of future mildew and molding? What should I be on the watch to make sure these guys make the correct repairs? I'm disabled and can't go up in the attic but will eventually ask a friend to go up there and assess the damage. In the mean time, I'm clueless.

Although, there is a positive side of this... my floor is tiles! ... no carpet, no wood floors and easy clean up:)

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

(Trying hard to be calm & positive)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH