SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_121936772

Mitigating roof leak

L P
3 years ago

We got estimates for a new roof over a month ago, but none of the roofers are available to start the job until mid-November. I called another company and they cannot even estimate until two weeks from now. The plan was to replace the roof before doing any interior work. Yesterday, the bathroom ceiling started dripping water. We plan on remodeling the bathroom (have estimates and choosing products) so I know we’re “lucky” the leak is prior to the remodeling job.. My question is: what can I do to mitigate the damage (I know the ceiling will need to be replaced, or at least a section of it). My biggest concern is mold as there must be a lot of water in the attic for it to start dripping. We poked a small hole in the ceiling and because it’s been dry out this week, no more water has leaked out in the last two days. I don’t want the ceiling to collapse. Not sure if I should cut away more of the ceiling and rent a fan and dehumidifier. I thought the roofer would want to tarp it until he could start the job, but got the impression they didn’t want to do that. Meeting with roofer next week and then hope he can at least patch it. I’m not sure what to do between now and then, or when a quick repair can be made. Thanks for any advice you may have!

Comments (11)