SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian7972ri

Roof Leak - home is 6 mos old

brian7972ri
21 years ago

3 BR colonial, ridge roof, 6 mos old

We started to notice some water stains on the ceilings of 2 bedrooms on the front of the house. I bleached them, called the contractor, and he came out. He didn't look in the attic. 2 days later, more circles, and too much for me to bleach (plus, why mitigate the "evidence"?) Clearly the ceilings will need to be repainted anyway.

Contractor comes over again in 15 minutes. He climbs in the attic and declares that he's never seen an attic this bad before. He saw what I had previously seen: condensation. The entire front side of the house's roof panels were wet...the insulation was soaked, and the water was puddling between the insulation's moisture barrier and the ceiling board. Clearly we have a major problem.

Interestingly, the back side of the house where there's another bathroom doesn't appear to have a major problem. I suspect that this is becuase this is the sun-facing side of the house, whereas in the winter, the problem side doesn't get any sun.

He promised to get the roofer out there on Monday. I told him I was taking the day off of work to be there. I need some advice.

1. I took plenty of pictures.

2. I took notes of his comments when he was in the attic and the date.

3. I am going to call another roofer/inspector first thing in the morning to get another opinion (sadly, I may be preparing for litigation perhaps).

4. Anything else I can/should be doing ?

I am going to continue to document, document, etc., and today I cam going to go up in the attic with a video camera.

Any other advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (17)