SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Milkweed damage

mxk3 z5b_MI
2 years ago

I posted in another thread about something going after my milkweed (A. incarnata). A few clumps had emerging stems chomped off down at ground level -- those I dug up and planted in pots to rescue, they're coming along quite nicely. But now some of them have wilted tips, and I can't figure out what is going after them. I think it may be earwigs because I noticed them in some of the tip growth, but I'm not 100% sure. I do note bite marks on the stems. I cut a lot of growth off, hoping to get growth from lateral buds so don't have a really good example, but here's a couple pics from a newly planted clump (whatever beast is going after them has moved on to fresh stock...AARGH!):

In this pic you can see the wilted tip growth on the lower right of the plant; I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they move onto the other stems:

Here the center of the stem is collapsed, it looks like it has been cut, but not sure if wind damage broke the stem if it was weakened by the insect (storms blew through yesterday), or the insect did it:

Any idea who the culprit is?

Comments (8)