SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Puzzled about Noisettes

bart bart
2 years ago

This type of rose baffles me. In my garden here in Tuscany, Italy,Blush Noisette, Narrow Water, and Belle Vichyssoise are all healthy and happy enough with the poor soil and relying only on rainfall. But darker-colored Noisettes are NOT. Mount Vernon Purple mildews badly and drops it's leaves ; it's one of those roses that seems healthy enough until it tries to bloom,but the effort of blooming just seems to exhaust the plant's health. Deschamps wouldn't take off and now is in a pot, looking sickly,same thing with Lily Mestschersky. Both want to bloom all the time. I also have a noisette which I got from Fabien Ducher called "Cornelie" https://roseraie-ducher.com/en/shrub-roses/44-shrub-rose-cornelie.html which is definitely NOT "Belle Vichyssoise" ; it is a modest grower with beautiful dark-ish mauve flowers,but it, too can't seem to remain healthy when in bloom. I have other examples, too,but they are all own-root and relatively new, not it may just be immaturity of the plant . Deschamps and Lily M are both own-root, so for them , too, it may be just that they are very slow starters, but Purple M Vernon and Cornelie are both grafted. However,both of these have been in my garden so long that they have probably "gone own-root"( this seems to happen a LOT in my garden; I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that after the first year my plants have to rely on the fall and winter rains for their water) .

This whole thing bothers me: why is there such a difference between the pale-flowered Noisettes and the darker ones? Or might it just be a question of the ages of the plants? I got the paler ones a long time ago, when the weather was not so awful as it is now; could that be a factor? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Comments (18)