SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darrenbest

Washer/dryer set that keeps logs for multiple users?

darrenbest
2 years ago

I am considering a home reno that includes an income suite in the basement. I also need a new washer and dryer, in any case. In my municipality, rental properties have to include access to laundry facilities on the premises, so if I go ahead with building the basement apartment, I will be sharing the new appliances with the tenant. However, I don't want to encourage over-use of the appliances: I want to be able to be reimbursed for the costs of water, electricity, and maintenance, in proper proportion to their use.

What would be perfect, in my mind, would be a washer/dryer set that is designed for keeping track of multi-users, without having to resort to coin-operation. In my mind, the tenant would enter a user number and a 4-digit PIN that are unique from my own, and then at the end of the month I would be able to determine a fair accounting for the tenant's usage.

Does anyone know of any appliances available with this functionality? If not, does anyone have any alternate suggestions on how to avoid being taken advantage of by tenants using shared laundry facilities?

Comments (7)