SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

I'm baking today!

User
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have been craving pound cake for such a long time. I made one over the weekend and it just didn't do it for me. I knew the ingredients were wrong (a Sarah Lee knockoff that had too many ingredients) but decided to try it anyway. I remember my mother putting a little nutmeg and mace in hers so I didn't think it would hurt to try the SL knockoff. It was only 1" high! LOL And too light and fluffy. Pound cake isn't supposed to be light and fluffy, it's supposed to be dense. After searching the internet forever (I already knew there are only 4 ingredients and each weighs 1 pound hence the name of the cake) I couldn't figure out oven temp or length of time in the oven. I can't get over how many people call their recipes "Pound Cake" when they use milk, or cream, or baking soda and the butter, eggs, flour and sugar amounts are not equal. Then it's not pound cake! LOL So wish me luck. I've just set out my eggs to get to room temp. The butter (unsalted) is already at room temp. Fingers crossed it turns out. I won't be adding anything other than the four ingredients. If it turns out, my next one will have a little nutmeg and mace in it. ETA: I just popped them in the oven but I did add some vanilla and mace. I just had to...

REAL Pound Cake recipe

Then after that I'm making rhubarb cookies. A friend posted the recipe on her FB page yesterday and I still have some growing in the backyard. It can't hurt to try them. I'm not making the icing for them though.

Rhubarb Cookies

Whatcha up to today?

UPDATE: Cakes in the oven for 60 minutes at 325 as per instructions and so not baked in the center yet. So I'm leaving them in another 20 minutes. Could be Albertas altitude doing this.

Still too warm to cut but they're out of the pans now. My mouth is watering. I'm going to make some whipped cream and raspberry sauce to have with some slices.

First batch of cookies fresh out of the oven on a very well used cookie sheet. I tried one: they're good!

Comments (24)