SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sancheas1989

Is this Kitchen countertop seam and backsplash work acceptable or not?

Ashley Sanchez
2 years ago

Comments (30)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What is the countertop material? Can you take a picture from further away?

Leaving most of the commentary to the experts, I'll say that black grout will highlight the handmade aspect of the backsplash tiles because of the uneven edges. It also looks as if the grout has bled into the cut edge of the tile; it seems black grout was not the right choice for this project.

I presume those are Schluter strips, they look off to me and why is there one on the corner (which appears to be cut poorly)?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

It looks like you choose an irregular/ handmade subway tile which are designed to have varied grout lines, then you used a black grout that magnified this. I also don’t understand the silver schluter. I think you got what you planned for. As to the seam you need to back up and take a picture that shows the whole seam.

• Related Discussions

Counter tops and backsplash

Q

Comments (16)
    BEAUTIFUL! You have to enjoy working in your garden, because it is really well tended and planned also. Love it. I see your high chain link fence is like my back fence....7 foot tall and 100 feet long. I've planted Confederate jasmine...or trachelospermum jasminoides....or something sounds like that? It is evergreen here, and makes a gorgeous privacy fence withing a few years. Maybe in 4 years but by 5 it is very effective....they use it in Italy everywhere, including to climb over arbors, up old stairways, and covering fences to create a living privacy fence. Let me recommend it to you for that purpose. If you like, I'll create a Flickr album about the use of this jasmine in Italian gardens (the ones I saw anyway) in Umbria. Etc. Here the cabana was covered in blooming jasmine, the short fence covered in the jasmine is kept trimmed as a short hedge, no hint of the chainlink frame holding it up inside.
    ...See More

Seam between counter and backsplash discolored? (help?)

Q

Comments (7)
    I've been googling madly about silicone and this is what I've found. They are not all created equal and some of the cheap ones attract dirt. I think that's what's happened here. In defense of the fabricator, I think they haven't installed much white quartz and I don't think you'd notice the grimy looking silicone on granite. Also, I wonder whether they did an inadequate job of cleaning the surface before they applied the silicone. Maybe it looks dirty because there's some dirt in there? Do I have any recourse here? Should the fabricator help me out? It doesn't seem reasonable that 3 months out, the joint looks bad. I think at the very least, I should call the fabricator who installed my quartz and let them know that they need to use a higher quality silicone for white quartz installations. How do I find out which silicone is best when I replace the existing caulk? I'm worried about the silicone that's down in the joint that I won't be able to reach. I think they put a bead of silicone on the edge of the counter near the wall and then put the backsplash piece on top. That silicone will be impossible to get out. If I cover it with white silicone, will it look OK? Is white silicone opaque? I'm upset about this because one of the big issues I had with my old kitchen was that no matter how clean I kept it, it never looked clean (thanks to the 1970s color scheme). Now I have a new kitchen with a 15 foot long seam that looks grimy no matter what I do. Ugh.
    ...See More

quartz counter top/backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    It is really easy to search for photos on Houzz. Here is one I found in 5 seconds. Not what I would put in my kitchen, but it works in this modern style. I think the back splash is glass. Not sure it would work as well if you are using more traditional materials.
    ...See More

Need counter top and back splash Advice for a Modern Remodel

Q

Comments (21)
    I think we are moving in the direction to do the island, perimeter counters and backs splash (all the way up the wall) in the same White Santorini Quartzite. Any feedback on this? Im sensitive to adding too many different materials into the mix. Is this too much of one thing?
    ...See More
  • Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What do you mean I got what I planned for? I brought a company in to do my countertops and my backsplash. When they realize they didn’t have enough of the backsplash I was told that they had extra subway tile that they would be willing to sell me at a discounted price and put up. And he asked me what color grout I wanted I said black so you can imagine my surprise when I came home and realized that that was wavy subway tile. Not one time was I told that the subway tile with anything but regular. And I don’t understand it the silver piece in the middle of my backsplash either that’s why I’m trying to get peoples opinions. Because I don’t like how it all looks and I paid to get it done properly and I’m wondering if it’s just me or if they did a bad job. I’ll take some more pictures and I’ll put them on here thanks for your guys help.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If you need any others let me know. I just want to find out if I should continue pushing to get them to fix this or if it’s just is what it is. And kind of just how bad it is. Thanks again for the help.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

When you say they didn't have enough for backsplash do you mean that the backsplash was going to be made from the countertop material? If so then someone miscalculated how much material you would need. Did you not look at what tile they were selling you?

I think the backsplash looks bad. The black grout was a poor choice for that type of tile.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was told it is a honed granite countertop.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

You seem to have hired people with no ‘eye’ but you or someone needed to be ‘in charge’. You needed to select materials, grout, and edge treatment prior to them starting. As you know it does not look good. White grout would help.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

“When they realize they didn’t have enough of the backsplash”

The figuring out how much tile is needed is Tiling 101. Even an apprentice who is there 6 months would know this. Typically the tiler will calculate how much tile he needs and then add some overage in order to detemine the total amount of tiles he’ll need to buy for the project. If your tiler did not figure correcty the amount of tile that is his mistake. The second mistake was to choose black grout, which is on you.

The silver schluter trim/edging was used instead of the matching trim pieces that many tile manufacturers make for their backsplash tile. However some tile manufacturers do not make those trim pieces, so Schluter trim is then used. That all should have been discussed with you in advance.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

”I was told it was honed granite,” this is a statement I do not understand.

And this one ”they had tile they could sell me at a discount.” So you didn't see it before you agreed to it?

This is the oddest project.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

That granite finish looks bad. It certainly doesn't look honed. IMO honed looks matte but still smooth. This looks realt pockmarked and more like asphalt. Also the corner is weird - I've never seen granite seemed like that unless it was built up to lookway thicker - and this doesn't look thicker than a total of 3CM

and the tile is bad. However - did you not get a sample before they installed it?

Overall - bad. very bad.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The granite seams are perfectly acceptable. We are seeing close-ups that someone standing at the sink will never see.

The quality/look of the tile job is subjective. If you don't like it, I'd suggest negotiating a fair settlement. Be prepared to pay for your part in this please.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is my invoice where you can see it says honed not leathered. When they sold me the tile they told me it would be subway tile. At no point did they tell me it would not be standard subway tile. The original plan was for the countertop and the backsplash to match and be made of the same material. This did not happen because they “didn’t have enough” to do both so the change was made. Had I been told it would be wavy I would not have chosen black grout but as I thought I was getting standard I thought the contrast would be nice. I was never consulted on the edging for the backsplash and was told after the fact that they had used extra they had laying around.

• kazmom
    2 years ago

I think the seam on the granite looks fine. As to if it is what you wanted i don’t know. i am not sure whst the difference in ”honed” and ”leathered” is is.

i would be unhappy with the backsplash. it sounds like the contractor just isn’t good at design but made design choices. They should have told you the lines weren’t straight and black grout may not be the best choice, since you were buyjng the tile from them. They also should have explained the edging being used, I would want the backsplash redone.

• mojavemaria
    2 years ago

I’m not sure what ”standard” subway tile means nor do i think there is one. We picked ours out of two samples we brought home and they were different shades, sizes and textures but they were both white subway tiles. We did bring the samples home to see next to our cabinets and the same with the countertop. We picked samples which we brought home and chose what we liked.

It seems unusual to spend money for tile and a countertop that you never actually saw a sample of. personally i dont think your kitchen looks bad at all. if you get the grout scraped out and redone in white it will be quite attractive. Most tiles do not have matching bullnose trim so its schluter trim or grouted edges and the schluter like what you have makes a much nicer finish.

Hope you can learn to love your kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I stopped at you think it is granite since the invoice does not even say what the material is.. Did you not choose a slab or 2 and as for the tile this unfortunately is on you . That is like buying a dress and not having any clue what you are getting. Come on own it and pay to have it removed and do not do black grout unless the tile is perfect and the tiler is perfect. Schluter is a great trim option and live and learn you do not let someone else make your choices without your approval. Honestly I think you bought granite from a less than great stone yard too. Where was your kitchen designer in this mess since that kitchen looks like it could use a bit of work on that layout too.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Unfortunately you agreed to a very vague description of your counter: “ black honed slab”. But what is the slab made out of?? I agree the short backsplash tile needs to be replaced, the tile job is not acceptable. It appears you did not do any research and educate yourself on kitchen countertops and back splashes , or you would not be in the predicament you are in. That is my “ tough love part”. Get yourself an experienced tiler, read reviews and interview tilers and read up on backsplashes on This Houzz website. You must be armed with knowledge about back splashes to get an acceptable one installed. Read about tiles, grout colors and look at lots of backsplashes in the photos on Houzz too! This is just a hiccup in your kitchen renovation❣️

• HU-429625911
    2 years ago

Is the backsplash so short (vertically) bc it was supposed to be one of those small backsplashes that match the countertop? I think it needs to be redone. If the subway tile is your only option, I’d have them redo higher (above outlets) and use a light grout. Sorry you’re going through this.

• kazmom
    2 years ago

Agree with HU-429625911 that the backsplash is much too low for tile. it should go well up your wall, past the outlets. They did it at the level they would have done a backsplash of the same material as the counter.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

This is what should have happened. "Ma'am, your walls have heavy texturing, we will need to replace the drywall before we template for the countertop and before we can tile. Then we will "float" drywall mud over the new drywall - to make it smooth & level & plumb. Yeah, we're going to remove the window sills, and the framing, so the tile doesn't have a bunch of little-bitty pieces. We're going to pull the outlet boxes forward so, after the tile is up, they will be flush with the tile (not recessed). I'm going to have my Tile Pro come over, you two will have a discussion as to how high up the wall the tile should go, the type of tile you want, and what tile "pattern" (if any). He'll tell you where to go to select the tile, then he'll call the tile shop and order the right amount. Let him pick the grout color - he's real good at that. We're real busy (because we're good at what we do) so it's going to be about 6 weeks before we can start."

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Counter & seam is fine. The open miter on the underside is a nothing. If it bothers you, fill with something--auto body compound?-- and color with a Sharpie or craft paint.

I generally do not like dark counters nor most granites. But I do like your counters. A lot!

The backsplash is awful. Tear it out and start over. With someone who knows how to tile. And don't use black grout.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I think the seam looks good too, nice and even; maybe it could be a smidge tighter (NSI standard is 1.5-2 mm width) but that is hard to tell. Seams are usually visible in every material except solid surface, although I have seen some in granite that are hard to spot.

There shouldn't be dark grout smears showing above the metal edging and the edging is badly applied. This is definitely a tear out and re-do but I don't think that I would have this company re-do it. They made a big "mistake", stuck you with their leftovers, and did a very amateurish installation.

Do you have any other contract with the company other than a sales invoice? If you do, and there is more specifics about the slab (like, size, or how many square feet of stone you are buying to complete the counter and backsplash together) -or- specifics to say that you are paying for a matching stone backsplash - then you may have grounds to ask for a partial refund to pay for someone else to fix this.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

“i am not sure what the difference in ”honed” and ”leathered” is.”

Honed granite has a very matte, low-gloss shine to it. It also has a silky smooth feel. Leathered granite, as I wrote in my earlier comment, has a purposely textured surface which is composed of tiny fissures and pits that mimic the feel of leather. Neither of these finishes is ”better” than the other, it’s personal taste as to which a homeowner chooses. But the invoice shows ”honed”, and the OP has leathered.

“The original plan was for the countertop and the backsplash to match and be made of the same material.”

I find this confusing because it sounds like maybe the OP wanted the look of 3-4” backsplash made of the counter material? So she did not want the entire backsplash wall covered, right? Just the 3-4” of counter material? But then where did the subway tile come in? While I feel bad for the OP, I have to ask why you had so little involvement in your kitchen selections? This is a lot of money. When you buy a car, do you say ”I’ll take a black one” and choose nothing else?

Pics of honed and leathered black granite counters:

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I don't see how the company stuck the OP with leftovers. They offered leftovers at a discount and OP accepted. There is no such thing as "standard" tiles, subway or otherwise.

The counter seam looks good, and when the photo is taken from a normal distance, the backsplash is not too bad either (have seen much worse). Would it be my choice to use black grout, nope. But it's what was requested.

Sorry the OP is not happy, but it looks like the install was what was ordered.

• kazmom
    2 years ago

“But then where did the subway tile come in?“

Apparentlg the subway tile came in because they didn’t have enough counter top material to do the 4” backsplash.

While I agree the 4” backsplash made from counter material is dated, many people not on these forums don’t realize that. i have several people in my neighborhood who have done kitchens in the last year and replaced the old 4” granite backsplash with a new 4” granite backsplash.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Oh dear, let's not use the word "dated" for a 4" backsplash. The 2" backsplash will be dated in a few years :) . I prefer the no backsplash look... never put a backsplash in my prior house until I was ready to sell!

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So I was at work when I had called and asked about the black splash because when I got home there was just countertop. That’s what I was informed that there was not enough material to do a backsplash. And that the custom tile business that I was using which has great reviews let me know that they had some leftover subway tile that they would sell to me at a discount price and asked what color grout I wanted. So I said black. The countertop is granite I asked and that’s what I was told. So I told him that that sounds great subway tile will look good, And when I got home after work this is what I had. It also extended the backsplash onto my other wall which I have them take out so there’s been multiple issues that I’ve had that they are now just not wanting to go through all the trouble and take it all out so now I’m taking other measures, In order to get this fixed. If you look down on the very far end by the door you can see the extended backsplash that reaches the door frame.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The granite also had a crack in it which he buffed out and told me it was fine and I’m not sure if the edges are supposed to look like this because they look unfinished me and rushed? I’m no professional this is my first time getting my kitchen redone I did the research this company is trusted and has great reviews and has done great work in my area. And the only reason I have all these pictures is because this type of stuff happens to me and I try to be prepared for it the best I can but it’s just me I’m 30 I’m trying. That’s why I’m on here to try to get help to try to get opinions comments constructive criticism whatever will help me learn. I also know that this is not what I paid for and I’m also going to do whatever I need to do to make it so it’s done right and I’m not paying for it because I already did. I’ve asked for the contract multiple times they’re not giving it to me if there is one I was asked to sign it nor did I see it. But nowhere in the invoices was any type of backsplash yet I got one as it was included. So all around I’m just gonna do what I have to do though the job done right and to get what I paid for. Please keep in mind that I also work two full-time jobs and I’m trying to do this also because I work hard and I feel like I deserve it but I don’t deserve to get taken advantage of.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And where I got the granite was from their shop. they said that it would be more cost effective because it would be coming straight from them, and it would be getting fabricated by them. So I went to the shop got samples chose this granite. That’s the last I heard until they told me they didn’t have enough for the backsplash.

• Ashley Sanchez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

For a little more background, They also did my fireplace hearth tiling Along with my shower tiling. Which both went perfectly well except for the trim in my bathroom is also chrome which I didn’t get to choose. So my kitchen was the last thing that got done.