SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lryan2000

Looking for advice on windows and living room set up.

linda ryan
2 years ago

Hi, always appreciate the advice I receive on Houzz...so thank you in advance. The picture attached shows our living room as it is now. We are taking out the whole fireplace and replacing with windows. Wanting more light in the room and to be able to see our backyard (Kind of a sunroom living room combination). Currently each casement is 4 feet wide (24 inches for each panel.) Plan was to change to 5 foot casements on each side and then a picture window of about 5 foot 8 in the middle. There would be about 4 inches between picture window and casements. Would that look ok or should I consider other sizes of windows. Basically our opening for the windows would be just over 17 feet. Also wondering about a grill pattern around the edge of each window (nothing that would take away from the view of our yard). Thoughts? The blue wall will then have and electric glass fireplace with the TV above. Thinking the bar and the chairs will move towards the right side of the windows. So the one chair will stay where it is and then the bar table and other chair will be moved so that they are opposite to the sectional.

Comments (48)

• Emily L
    2 years ago

I just have a couple of questions: do you already have a contractor and a quote for how much this would cost? And does that amount seem worth it to you? I totally get why it would be more desirable to you to have the fireplace on the other wall and have a whole wall of windows to the backyard. But it just seems like a lot of expensive work to not gain much more view or functionality. And in many areas right now the contractors are pretty much booked solid for months. Just some thoughts. Of course, if the contractor is already booked for the sunroom addition perhaps this is within the scope of that work.

• Sarah Carlson
    2 years ago

I agree with @Emily L

If I am understanding correctly, the couch and chairs would then be perpendicular to the TV? This seems a little narrow and uncomfortable to not be across from the TV. I like your current setup with the couch across from the TV. I love the fireplace and windows, it is really lovely as it is!

• Related Discussions

Need help with setting up living room please!!

Q

Comments (1)
    You'll get input if you post current pix.
    ...See More

Need help setting up a living room.

Q

Comments (2)
    I think you need to post a real picture of the room so we can figure out your options.
    ...See More

Awkward Living Room Space - Set up Help

Q

Comments (12)
    Paint fireplace white or the same color as the walls, remove bookcase that is on the right side of the fireplace. Get a corner TV console for the left side of the fireplace....maybe tv will partially cover the window, but that is okay. Get some pretty artwork for over the fireplace and take the colors from that for pillows for your couch and a rug if you want. An ottoman or upholstered bench in front of your couch to be used for extra seating when you have company.......should be on rollers, easy to maneuver. Where the shelf unit is now, get a tall green plant..nothing else. If room, I think your chair and a small table will be good by the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs you could put a decorative shelf or console with drawers under the window...facing up the stairs. with a small viney plant on it. Oh, yes, I would pull your couch back as far as you can...without interfering with the door. To bad the door does not open the other way. Have fun rearranging. I do approve of your curtains...white sheers but they should be twice as full as they are now and the door curtain should match.
    ...See More

Just moved and need help setting up living room

Q

Comments (15)
    Hello Shelby, Here are some pictures/ideas/suggestions for your consideration. Picture #1 is of the living room using what you have and adding some décor. #2 is if you could switch rooms the dinning room for the living room. It would be much better to be able to walk into a living room instead of a dinning room. I understand that it would mean pulling the wires for the TV into the other room but I hope that an electrician could do that easily for you. Just a thought. Clarification questions: You are keeping the 3 seater and love seat leather couches? Getting rid of the recliner and the other love seat next to the recliner? Are you open/able to switch rooms? How do you feel about getting a 2 seater/love seat recliner that would match the size of the love seat you already have? If you are letting go of the two couches; what about a sectional? Let me know what you want and I can change the 3D image so you can see what it would look like with the changes. Marcie
    ...See More
  • lkloes
    2 years ago

Your room is lovely as is. I wouldn’t change a thing!

• rustynail
    2 years ago

I also think your room is great. I love the blue wall, such a nice color!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

How would you cover it at night? Even if no one has a view into your room, I would not want to have a black hole. I would feel insecure.

Put a TV over a fireplace is not a great option.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Maybe I don’t understand, but if you do window, I would not do “picture” window. It would look dated before you finish. Repeat same side windows with two or do sliding french doors. Have you considered those options? Some options. You could do a slider too for more room in the space. I like adding two windows like you have if outside access is not a priority from this room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

We need to measure this room and make sure your furnishings will work. I am concerned the sectional won’t work.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the questions and advice. The contracting won’t be an issue (my husband will do much of the work) and I am just trying to see more of our backyard and the wildlife there (we have all kinds of critters as we live on the edge of our town). The sectional is approximately 8 feet long on each side so I think it could stay where it is or could be turned to have one half backing onto the windows. I have attached a crude drawing of the dimensions Flo so that you can see. We have considered leaving fireplace where it is and just making the casements on either side bigger (perhaps 3 on each side instead of two) and also considered having an electric fireplace where the gas is now and having a window on top of the fireplace. Flo, am really happy that you showed me how the casements would look, I thought that there might be something off about the picture window idea. We asked about cutting back the brick for the fireplace and our carpentry expert felt that was not a good plan for a whole bunch of reasons. I also thought about taking out the brick and just making a smaller fireplace/mantle. Ongoing advice appreciated.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

My two cents. If you put your TV on the blue wall, you will need to scoot your couch way up, otherwise you will have the feeling that you're watching TV from across the room, which always feels awkward. (For that size of a TV, you shouldn't be more than 8'-10' away from it, which will put your seating smack dab in the middle of the room...we sit 10' from our 85" TV, for comparison). And if you do that, you'd essentially not be using the windows you put in because they'll be behind you, and you'll have an awkward bit of space behind your couch that you won't have a good use for. Also, if you turn your sectional so the back faces the windows....well, that kind of defeats the entire purpose of adding more windows.

Ideally, you would put your TV in another room. Not sure if you have another room for that. But seems to me that you're trying to make this room be too many things. If you don't watch TV often, you could put it on that blue wall with a couple swivel chairs that can turn to it when you want to watch it, but remain facing the middle of the room when you don't. Otherwise I think you need to find priorities. Is it wildlife? Or is it watching TV? How often do you do either of those things?

FWIW, I also think your room is lovely as is.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I just did a quick layout for you. I think you should try this before you commit to a project like you are considering. The basic lines of sight to outside would be better. Your traffic in and out of your room would be better. And you would save a huge amount of money and mess. And you wouldn’t have to redo flooring etc from removing fireplace. I would not recommend removing this fireplace at all. Try rearranging your sectional (which is the biggest issue in a narrow long room) because it doesn’t cost anything. 😊

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We use the room for both TV and outside....TV is usually at night. The fire place is gas but we knew it would be a really big job. I hadn’t really thought of investing in furniture vs taking out the fireplace. We have discussed making those existing casements bigger (perhaps 3 24 inch casements or two 36 inch casements)..I would love to hear what you would suggest for furniture layout if the fireplace remained and we invested in furniture?
    So appreciate all of your thoughts and advice!!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I can play with some layouts later today/tonite. Busy today.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. Wow thank you.

• Emily L
    2 years ago

I'm not an expert, or a pro, or an engineer.. but I wonder if cutting out new windows as a diy project might endanger the structural integrity of the house. The house was designed to have that section of wall, which might need additional support for the exterior walls above. Again, I'm no expert, but it at least involves permitting.

I like the fireplace. If you can replace the current windows with french doors on either side, that would be lovely. I would agree with others that it might be better to invest in new furniture if that would help make the space more useable.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes we will need a beam in order to ensure the structural integrity…that has been calculated and we will definitely be permitted to do any work. We have a well known builder assisting us with the work and the plan. We have considered the french doors and kind of parked that because we would then need to worry about steps and railings. Any suggestions about the furniture, most appreciated! I can’t believe how helpful all of your comments have been. Thank you all so so much.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Can you post a picture taken from the fireplace across to the other side of the room? I believe we see bar stools behind the sectional, but furniture suggestions need to take that side of the room into consideration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

OK Linda. I have played with several layouts but keeping your desire for daytime “views” and evening TV viewing this layout, Option 1, meets several goals. I can put cost estimates together once we land on layout you like. You can see the sectional goes away. I put an 84” long x 40” deep sofa in. You could use your chairs, but we would put a swivel base on them. I put a pair of glass top metal frame coffee tables to provide plenty of lay down space and foot prop space. I put the bar on wall facing seating arrangement and it would be much more accessible for both rooms and entertainment. I added a pair of eterges for decos, a few books and possibly glasses for serving drinks. I put a bench in front of windows on right of fireplace and ottoman on other side with big telescope. I put a buffet behind the sofa for a couple lamps and to provide china storage for dining room too. I would put a tall fiddle fig plant in back corner and a low green plant in corner near bar set up. I put large art on your accent wall for pop of interest on that wall. I will put a mood board together with possible furnishing elements. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I have mood and mock ups for this room. Fireplace with smalls removed and accessories with black; paint wall opposite blue wall blue too; a view of leather sofa from fireplace toward dining roomand lastly the view of current blue wall with giant art.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I chose a combination of blues, grays, cognac, and black and a new wood mantel as basic color palette. The style is a mix of transitional and soft modern for warm inviting look. Hope these give you view of the room and you can see how the seating I provided will have line of sights thru windows during day and kept furniture low enough so long views from dining area are good too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Here are major pieces in mock ups.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like to search, if Flo suggests [well, others too] ... I try to post something close:

85 x 35.5 x 34"

https://www.amazon.com/Sorrento-Leather-Modern-Cognac-Brown/dp/B07VLPK3MZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Pretty, but bronze/ pewter.

Claybarn Patina Sienna Decorative Garden Stool · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

That’s interesting and might work on end of sofa or beside a chair. I like black better but if sofa is cognac it could work. Thanks everdebz.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Flo, I'm not saying you need me to do this, but I enjoy it.... this isn't textured like you posted. This might be not too much, and not too little [pattern and color]:

Safavieh Retro Collection RET2138 Rug, Cream/Blue, 8' X 10' · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

No worries everdebz. All contributions are valued I feel. I am not sure what direction Linda is thinking at this point so we shall see what her views are.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I think she will need a 9 x 12 or possibly 9 x 14 rug though if they go in this furniture direction.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Black- makes it neutral sharp, when with the other neutrals... if more 'light' look, here's blue. :)

Surya Palominas Pls-004 Garden Stool 18"H X 13"W X 13"D · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

A richness, depth [I recognized it] --

Global Archive Round Capiz Accent Table, Black Multi · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Fiber clay !? in white or grey.

White Fiber Clay Industrial Outdoor Stool, 17 " x 15 " x 15 " · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

or blue

GDF Studio Vassy Modern Velvet Ottoman Bench, Gray/Brush Gold · More Info

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow thank you for the ideas. I didn’t expect this much on your part.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the view opposite the fireplace. Please ignore the mess my kids are here visiting and this is their office among other things!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Thanks for that photo. This reinforces using black accents no matter what direction you ultimately take. A few more thoughts. Fireplaces add value to a home. They make spaces feel cozy and comforting. Plus, where do you hang stockings and how will Santa get in? 😅

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Judging from your response, you are moving forward with removal? One more point on that, add in ceiling and flooring repairs/replacements to package. You will need both. Hope everything works out the way you envision.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No haven’t 100% decided on anything actually leaning towards expanding windows by a foot and changing up furniture. Need to think on it a bit more. You have given me much to consider.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What's your favorite color that could add some punch to your living/dining areas? Maybe one you always get compliments on when you wear it, or just a color you feel great about when you see it.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Metal / steel surfaces could be eclectic middle ground cause streamlined, simple... could strengthen the look it seems you have... ? a natural cold-rolled steel.

A wall of windows can be very modern looking, and is that ok?

Townhouse Remodel · More Info

acid-washed steel ?

Randolph Rd Custom Home · More Info

Green Gambrel Living Room · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

A color similar to your wood floor to add a second 'warm' -

it's 24 x 24" "Rectified" porcelain copper -

Santa Monica Mid Century · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I am still wondering what overall style you are going for. Your dining chandelier is contemporary but chairs are transitional to traditional. Any thoughts on style direction?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Idea -- but doesn't fit with the current kind of windows doors that you have......?

Caudill Lane · More Info

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As for style, ultimately would like a bit more modern flavour. Again, thanks for all your ideas.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Nice set with wheatback chairs, I think it's called... what is the kitchen like? :)

My story: that cool LED light you have, I want in another shape for my kitchen, to replace ceiling fluorescents. I found many on Amazon, and I think I can manage it.

• linda ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. We are now leaning towards leaving the fireplace but expanding the casements as wide as we possible can on either side of the fireplace. We have about 83 inches on each side; however taking into account trim, I think we would be safe with 78 inches of space for windows. Thoughts on having 3 casements (one opening and 2 fixed) all the same size or two casements (one opening and one fixed) the same size or 2 casements with the opening one being smaller than the fixed one? Thoughts?

• Emily L
    2 years ago

Since you are going to all this trouble, I would make sure they were as long and wide as possible, with transoms above perhaps, depending on your ceiling height. It doesn't make sense to do all this to get another couple square feet of windows; you'd really want to make it worth it.

Olana Drive · More Info

28th Street · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

If you want to go more modern, go with 72” French doors with narrow black interior design. Since your ceilings are low (8’) and their might be structural issues, probably can’t do transoms above but 7’-6” high doors would be awesome. Or just fixed windows.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Something like this. Doors or windows, then go with black, white and neutral furnishings! We could modernize your existing fireplace to look similar to this too.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Seems a 'hot' look to have dark frames. Is it that the room needs more sun? a Solatube can do that, placed where it works well.