SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Bread without Fear

plllog
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A couple of people in my life have asked me about baking bread in the last week. No problem. But I gave more instructions about ingredients, wanting it to be foolproof than the actual baking. IME, bread is idiosyncratic. In my opinion, the best piece of advice I could give them was not to listen to all the tips out there, but just to dive in and bake. My basic recipes (same recipe, but one has less flour) are easy and flexible. I've also suggested the cast iron pot, even though the bread isn't ultrahigh hydration. Much easier than fussing over the crust, and the cast iron evens out any issues with the oven. So, bread without fear!

This week, buoyed by my success making red beet bread--which I've repeated--emboldened me. I had about 2 cups of cooked veg that I'd already used three way and was tired of looking at, but they were too good to throw away. I attacked them right in the container with the immersion blender and got a textured puree. Vita-Mix will liquify anything, but the veg were about the same texture as the beet puree, so I just went for it. Much less washing!

Not to waste, I went a little over the 2/3 of the water mark, so then the water was a little over too, and I was worried the puree might be a little too bitter, so I cut up four small apricots that had gone squishy. They were too early to be sugary, just lightly sweet and tangy. I just mixed them in, figuring they'd be lumps, but the yeast LOVED them! By the time I was done kneading, the apricots, skin and all, were completely absorbed into the dough, which became so sticky, I had to add some flour, 7.37%, to be terribly exact (35g). Also in the mix were some not so fine black pepper and a small handful of Italian herbs. I should have added extra salt. The only salt in the veg was from the celery.

The bread has a beautiful soft and springy texture. It wasn't so exciting plain or with butter, but warmed it's really tasty! It takes paying attention but the tang of the apricots is there. Unlike beet bread, however, I don't think this is very replicable. I mean how often does one, without a tree, have apricots to spare?

Have you ever had fruit melt into your dough? Do you ever throw random things into your bread? Do you go fearless into the unknown?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville