SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Mitsubishi Mini-split short-cycling

DavidR
2 years ago

A Mitsubishi Mister Slim 9000 BTU inverter heat pump installed in 2013 is short cycling (I think that's the correct term).

Outlet temperature falls from 63 degrees to 44 degrees over 4-5 minutes.

Outlet temperature holds near 44 degrees for 1-4 minutes.

Outlet temperature rises from 44 degrees to 63 degrees over 4-5 minutes.

The cycle repeats.....

Now and then the outlet temperature will hold at 44 degrees for longer. I've seen as long as about 20 minutes, but it's rare.

The set (requested) room temperature is 70 degrees. The unit never gets there. The humidity stays at around 40-50%.

The unit is 9000 BTU in a 100 square foot poorly insulated attic room. Previously this split could hold the room temperature at 70-74 with outdoor temperatures approaching 100 degrees.

Now it can't even hold 70 at night with temperatures in the lower 60s.

During the day with upper 80s and sun on a light colored roof above, the best it can do is around 85 degrees.

I hear a distinct gurgling sound at the condenser when the compressor is running. However, I've never listened before, so maybe it's always been that way.

The evaporator fan on "auto" position used to throttle back when the room set temp was reached. Now it stays at high speed.

The evaporator air filters and the condenser coils are clean. Nothing is obstructing either.

What would be the most likely causes of this symptom?

Thanks!

Comments (15)