SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Thinking about a mini-split

cawaps
8 years ago

I live in a 1910 2-unit building (upstairs/downstairs; I'm in the downstairs unit) in the San Francisco Bay Area. The only heating or cooling equipment in either unit are centrally located gas fireplaces, which are supplemented with electric room heaters, electric mattress pads, and electric blankets. The house has attic insulation, floor insulation for the lower unit, but no insulation between the lower and upper unit. No wall insulation.

My house is below 60 degrees for large stretches during the winter. It's never gotten below 54 degrees even when I'm not heating at all (most of the time), thanks to solar heat gain (large expanse of southwest facing wall with lots of windows) and a mild climate. While the solar heat gain keeps me from freezing in the winter, it's a problem in the summer. This past summer was particularly bad, as the Bay Area had unusually high humidity and temps dropping at night the way they usually do.

I'm thinking of getting a ductless mini-split to heat/cool my living room, which is where we spend most of our time. It's also where we engage in more sedentary activities (TV watching, computer use) which is when the cold winter temps really become a noticeable problem. The living room is only 12x15, has a northwest facing bay window on one of the 12 ft walls. The other 3 walls are interior walls, 2 or which have wide openings (5-6 ft) into the adjacent rooms. As previously noted, there is no ceiling insulation.

Now that I've overwhelmed you with background detail, my questions are:

1) Is this an appropriate situation for a mini-split?

2) What size (approximately) would I need?

3) What manufacturers are recommended?

4) How do I find an experienced contractor?/Does anyone have any recommendations in the SF Bay Area?

5) How bad will the heating and the cooling performance be, given the envelope situation I described?

6) When would be the cheapest time of year to do this (i.e. when are HVAC contractors the least busy)?

Comments (19)