SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresen

At loggerheads about range hood vent cap!

Therese N
2 years ago

Changing from recirculating to vented range hood. We have a modest kitchen and basic range, so I have a basic Broan model that doesn’t require MUA. it is located on an interior wall, so it will need to be vented up to the upstairs floor joist, make a left turn and go straight out about five feet or so. I have already spoken to the Broan techs months ago about ducting and they said reducing from 8” to 6” is fine since the span is relatively short. I got all the required ducting and cap, but my installer, (my husband 🙄) who will be getting help from our carpenter friend, is not happy with the metal cap because there is no way to mount it within the siding like the dryer caps that are integrated on mounting blocks. So, he got a 6” plastic dryer type instead. I will be using it to vent odors more than heat. Nothing chef-level here. I realize that if I ever have vented air so hot that it would ever melt that thing, I would have bigger problems than this, lol, but I hate not doing things “right”. Is this a situation I should let go, or stand firm on. Our nerves are both frayed at this end stage of the reno, so I don’t trust my judgement as well as usual. I will propbably chat with Broan again too. Thanks all.

And yes, our carpenter friend is bonafidé, experienced, and very good.

Comments (17)