SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet_welch8702

Flooring concerns

7 & Done
2 years ago

I have hardwood & tile in my home. Both products have some movement happening when walking on them. House was framed during the winter, 2013. Advantec is the subfloor material. Subfloor was glued & nailed to the floor joists. Any thoughts about what might be going on and how to address the issue? Note: Framing is accessible from the basement.

Comments (48)

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

What is "some movement"?

• User
    2 years ago

Houses have to move, or they break. Look at the skyscrapers designed to sway in the wind. Total rigidity is bad.

But there’s “movement” and deflection. The two aren’t synonymous. If you’ve got bounce, and cracking tiles and cracking grout, that’s a whole different thing. Floors can still deflect snd be perfectly sturdy. They just aren’t rigid enough for some floor coverings.

• Related Discussions

Stained and crowned hardwood floor concerns

Q

Comments (12)
    Nope nothing in the box that could have leaked. Plus the box doesn't have any discoloring to it at all. I figured moisture would leave some kind of sign. Nope house is on a slab so no way to see under it. Man I always thought a house on a slab was better than a house on blocks but I'm seriously reconsidering now.... I plan on tearing it up but not now. Maybe in the next couple years. I did have the siding and plumbing replaced and the back of the house had a tarp on it and maybe some rain got in? I just don't want it to get any worse I guess is the thing but I don't know where to check and hate to just start tearing stuff apart...
    ...See More

How to properly install wood floors-Cupping concerns

Q

Comments (8)
    If, they nail it, yes, the plastic will be compromised. No point in adding it, then. Method 1: (2 1/4" total build up) If, plastic will be used for vapor barrier. Grind and levl slab, lay plastic onto floor and up the wall 6-8", float two layers of 3/4" advantech over the plastic: glued and screwed 1 1/4". Then glue and nail assist the 6" live sawn oak. Alllow 3/4" of expansion gaps all around: 1/2" under dry wall and 1/4" under base boards. Trim plastic. Method 2: (3/4" total build up) If, you don't want the extra height. Grind and level the slab, Gaps, cracks and corners should be caulked, apply 2-3 coats of epoxy primer (Sikabond or Pallman) onto flooring and up 3" of base of walls. Then using a glue rated for 6" or wider solid flooring and glue the "live sawn" down. Allowing 3/4" expansion gaps Your only issues will be moisture from above. Climate control will still be needed.
    ...See More

Bathroom Flooring Concerns

Q

Comments (1)
    Use large format PORCELAIN. Do not use a glossy tile. Use rectified porcelain for small grout lines. Hire a very good tile person. Do not use real marble, unless you like etching and permanent stains. Your kids will get pee on the floor and spill beauty products and permanently etch/stain any marble.
    ...See More

2 story home renovation floor plans! All suggestions welcomed

Q

Comments (8)
    Regarding the master bedroom floor plan. You have extended the wall across from tv so entrance to room you have to make a little zig to enter room. Maybe wall has the be there for structural reason so I don't know if reason. I would not put in that wall so more of a straight entrance into room. It would make it easier to bring in furniture or anything else. It would also allow you to have a larger clothes closet. If you do have to keep that wall be sure to purchase a split box spring for bed so you can make that turn......ask me how I know that... I had to exchange a box spring once and get a split box spring to get it into a bedroom because of a turn it couldn't make.
    ...See More
  • 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

PPF - the floors somewhat “crunch, crack & pop” when walked on. Have never had a situation like this. No cracking tiles though.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HO-UZZ812

I know houses have to be able to expand & contract. What do you mean by not rigid enough for some floor coverings? The floor joists are 2x12, 16” oc. I have hardwood & tile.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Do you know what kind of sub floor you have?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"the floors somewhat “crunch, crack & pop” when walked on"

Recently or since installation?

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

The amount of layers of subfloor will help us figure things out. Traditionally a subfloor is two layers. The "deflection" rating is figured out by the 'floor joists' + total thickness of wooden subfloor. If the subfloor is too thin, then your deflection is TOO HIGH = not good enough for tile...and possibly wood.

How long have you been living with the noise?

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The subfloor is Advantec. Only sub floor material that I’m aware of. It’s pretty rugged. I think the floor issue has only been happening a few years. I’m curious? What two products are typically used for a subfloor?

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Picture

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What type of material are you referring to please?

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Underlayment or subfloor (generally plywood), it typically goes over the decking and under the floor systems.

• User
    2 years ago

The joist material, height, depth, and span come into a deflection equation. Many homes are designed to the L360 lowest allowable number, which is fine for carpet. Modern large format tile floors require L720, That’s twice as rigid as the lowest allowable standard. When you get deflection, you get issues.

You can calculate your deflection here if the build used dimensional lumber. If the build used engineered components, that should be stamped on them, and included in the paperwork. https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

In short...look to see how THICK your subfloor layers are. The easiest way = find a floor vent and take it out. Look at the cross-section. Measure the BOTTOM of the layers (that's your advantec) to the BOTTOM of the hardwood/tile (which ever floor vent is easiest to remove).

The THICKNESS is part of the equation. You can find the equation in the link @User issued above. See how CLOSE to the L720 number your thickness gets you to. My guess is it isn't even close. Which means you either live with it...or redo the entire (rip out wood and tile...lay new layer of plywood over what you already have, remove all doors/floor trim and then lay ANOTHER layer of substrate and then add new tile and hardwood).

It is a PITA...which is why pros always tell clients to 'beef up' the 'bones' of the house. That means the envelope (the stuff that keeps out the rain/snow/sunlight/etc) and the insulation and the subfloor thicknesses...etc). All the stuff that is near-impossible to 'access' at a later date. Kitchen cabinets are easy to remove. Removing all flooring and then adding ANOTHER layer of substrate is a B!TCH of the Royal Kind (could be Imperial...whichever way you want to go with that).

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok. I’ve got some investigating to do. I did find out that there is underlayment under the tile floors. But they have issues as well. It’s a trussed roof system if that comes into any equation.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

What's the underlay under the tile? Is it plywood or is it cement board? Is it possible to get photos and measurements?

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Will be back in touch later today. Thank you for your interest.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 years ago

find a heat register in the floor pull it out and snap a picture of buildup.

Mud beds, , Levelers, thinsets, medium beds, grouts, and improperly bedded CBU can all crunch and crumble when deflection is present. .....Seasonal movement shall always be accommodated w perimiter and field expansion joint placements. If thats not followed you can also have de-bonding and eventually tenting perhaps predated by crunching.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s a picture of a lifted vent in a tiled area. I have to say my tile guy is one of the best in the area and has done a substantial amount of tile work for me. I’m now exploring whether or not there was an issue with the adhesive used between the joists and Advantec subfloor. Any thoughts? What do most builders use?

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve sent him a text asking him specifically what was used on top of the Advantec. Will post after he replies. Contractors use this tile guy on multi-million dollar homes...

• User
    2 years ago

They probably have invisible bad work too.

“I’ve done it this way for 30 years” and never RTFM is a guarantee of failure. As above. Major dumbassery failure at the very basics. Send Schluter that pic. You’re going to need expert ammunition for a fight. It’s a complete redo.

This is seriously a Tile Fail FB post. There’s a whole group about unbelievable installs. This would get a lot of traction. And that’s only the start. If he got that so badly wrong, he is sure to have messed up the wet areas. Using a product doesn’t mean using it correctly. The devil is in the details.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I hire a “structural engineer”, would they be able to tell me what went wrong and what needs to be corrected? And where does your expertise come from?

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Following.

• User
    2 years ago

This has nothing to do with your structural. It’s all ”the flooring guy”. Had he never worked with Kerdi before? He couldn’t go on their YouTube channel? He couldn’t read the instructions that came with it? Or call them? They are a company that is very happy to help even maroons have a successful install.

That type of old man know it all hubris says you’ve got major major issues in multiple places. Unbelievable.

• User
    2 years ago

No structural engineer needed. Just call your local Schluter rep. After you send them that pic. They don’t even need to come out. But they are happy to.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dude. You can get your point across w/o being an ass. Where does YOUR expertise come from?

• User
    2 years ago

You can read the Schluter instructions as well as anyone. Inform yourself. I posted one of the diagrams that show you. If you don’t accept the manufacturer’s installation requirements being violated here, and want to pin it on someone besides the (typical) substandard tile guy, good luck with that. Just because a guy is likable doesn’t mean he knows what he is doing. Your guy was clueless. Everything he touched is suspect.

https://youtu.be/wMzXu1NRMAM

• User
    2 years ago

Tile guy screwup. Easily visible in the pic. Snap. Crackle. Pop. Is inevitable.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"Both products have some movement happening when walking on them."

So the issue is not germane to only the tile area which means in addition to the tile installers issues there must be deflection issues since this is also happening at the wood floor. You need to find out what the floor joist system is and what the load rating is.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m trying to send a couple of freakin pictures but this app is fighting me. I have one of the materials list for the framing etc.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does this help determine anything? I can get more info. if need be. I did find out the oak hardwood was put directly on top of the Advantec.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

You have ONE layer of 0.75" subfloor. As I've already stated , the NORM is TWO layers. @mill@millworkman has stated that 1" thickness ( or better) is the requirement for many many jurisdictions. If your area has that requirement, your builder has gone too thin. Too thin means your subfloor is going to act like a trampoline.

The reason why 2 layers are better than one: if you have to pull up th top layer of subfloor, you still have a layer underneath to stand on.

Imagine if, by removing the tile, you damage the Avantec to the point of full removal, you will have a hole in your floor that looks into your basement. That's a BAD thing.

Your builder probably saved him/herself $5,000 on plywood and labour. That goes straight into their pocket...and that's why this stuff happens.

To get a "free do over" you will need to find out what your local building codes are (city hall should be able to help you). *IF you can prove your builder contravened local ordinances, you can go after them in court. But you might have to hurry.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

First off I want to thank several of you for your input regarding my issue. I’m learning quite a bit. I wanted to post a picture of the floor framing blueprint that was used.
    I’m going to get in touch with Schluter regarding my tile install as well.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You have totally confused me. What diagrams are you referring to that are wrong? Panel? Huber? And are you speaking of Relative Humidity?

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

What @Mint tile Minneapolis is saying, @7 & Done, that you need to take your questions to bigger and more well schooled Experts than you will find on Houzz.

You are looking at (possibly) serious issues. The OSB *might not be Advantec. Your joists *might not be the right type for the REQUIREMENTS they were built to hold.

In short...if you add up all the *ifs and the *mights you could be looking at a big can of worms. There is no way for us, a publicly access design (pretty pretty) website.

You may have to get yourself a lawyer and a building engineer....to PROVE that what the builder gave you is inappropriate for the design written by the architect.

In other words...please find yourself a local Expert (who you will hire) to work on your behalf to prove the issue is bigger than the tiles moving and the wood floors bouncing.

Those of us on Houzz cannot diagnose this. And the effort needed to educate you (not a bad thing...just a 'thing') is WELL beyond the most of us have to write a few hundred words a day. It is an entire course in physics and chemistry.

And yes, RH = Relative Humidity. OSB is KNOWN to have quite a bit of shrinkage if the home's humidity levels are NOT maintained ABOVE 40% RH. Which brings in the HVAC system, the footprint of the house, the volume of air it has to move, your location in the world as to whether or not your system is good enough. And that's a whole 'nother scholastic tutoring. Again, well beyond what we have to give (time wise and knowledge wise).

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. I have called a structural engineer to come take a look at my house. I’ll keep you all posted on the outcome.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

AdvanTech used for decking 100%.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

3/4" AdvanTech^^. What thickness was specified in the plans?

Matt Rissinger on using AdvanTech: I opt for the 1-1/8-inch panel on most of my projects because I want zero bounce in the floor.

https://www.huberwood.com/blog/advantech-subflooring-vs-osb-vs-plywood

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok. So I had a structural engineer come to my house. His findings were that the OSI adhesive failed, likely due to the fact that it must have froze at some point. The house was framed during the winter. 3/4” Advantech was used for the subfloor. (Our architect stated it is industry standard.) He, SE, also confirmed that 15lb. tar underlayment is under all the wood floors. He also said that all of the tile was correctly installed. Whew! Some of you guys had me really nervous! So that’s that.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Correction! 15 lb FELT underlayment under wood floors.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Ahhh...the STRUCTURE is sound...but you STILL have floors that creak and pop. Which means the issue is not 'done'...just the homework.

What is the plan to fix the original issue?

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

Following

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

His findings were that the OSI adhesive failed, likely due to the fact that it must have froze at some point.

Maybe the builder did not use OSI? I wonder how cold it was? Because OSI subfloor adhesive is rated for down to 20 degrees. Sure, a lot of areas of the US do get well below 20 degrees though.

OSI SF450 20°F – 120°F Subfloor Construction Adhesive is a high performance and environmentally friendly latex-based construction adhesive which provides a powerful, permanent bond and is formulated for interior or exterior subfloor construction. Cold weather formula allows easier extrusion and excellent adhesion in cold weather conditions. This adhesive offers fast set, superior strength development and bonds dry, wet, frozen and treated lumber to most building materials.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

He did use OSI. I have a lumber slip and also a picture and there’s a box in the picture. SF450

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s a picture

• PRO
    Ripped Jeans Construction
    2 years ago

Not sure what problem everybody is seeing in the Ditra install - it's an uncoupling membrane; the whole point is that there's an air space between the top/thinset/tile and the bottom/fleece.

As far as it is visible from the side, it looks fine.

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HU-469669671
    I think I’ll go with my Structural Engineer who spent a significant amount of time examining the situation. Don’t you have some tile work to do?

• 7 & Done
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your input RJC.