SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nirvanamike06

Stained and crowned hardwood floor concerns

nirvanamike06
7 years ago

I've got hardwood floors that are pretty old in my living room. Part of my remodeling plans are to tear it up and replace all the floors in the bedrooms hallway and living room with the same floor but that's down the line since I wanted to redo the ceiling and repaint first.

My wife put a box in the corner of the living room and it's been there for at least a year and it's been out of the way so I can't remember ever moving it. Well today it got moved and underneath it was a black stain and a buckled piece of flooring. I'm not excited to say the least. Now the bottom of the box was perfectly clean no stains or discoloring so I'm trying to figure out where this is coming from. The floor felt dry as well. Being an old floor some of the finish is wore off and i would imagine if it was wet i would feel something.

The wall around it is clean there is a bathroom on the other side of the wall but I would think there would be more signs than just this from water damage. As far as I know there isn't any pipes under this part of the house and this also borders an outside wall and there's no excess moisture in the soil out there. What could have caused this? I did ask my wife if she had spilled anything and she said she couldn't remember but it's not impossible that her dog could have peed there.

How long should I wait before I rip up the floor to see if it's coming from underneath? If there was a leak should this all get worse?

Comments (12)