SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Garden and health tips & Bush beauty & fertilizer for fast growth

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A few days ago it was 31 F at night with light frost on the grass. In cold weather organics like blood meal can't break down to prompt fast growth in roses that are killed to the crown by zone 5a winter. I witness FASTER spring growth with Acid Lilly Miller NPK 10-5-4 since it has sulfur for growth, plus chemical nitrogen that works in cold weather. Lilly Miller also has SOLUBLE phosphorus and potassium for more buds in spring.

I also limed my roses before heavy spring rain, lime helps with uptake of nitrogen for faster growth. Raising pH also produce LARGER and shiny leaves. I witnessed withered & yellow & tiny leaves when rose park sprinkled too much acidic sulfur for our alkaline clay. This lowering of pH also made a few of their roses broke out in RRD. All the major nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, calcium) are less available at acidic pH, and pH of rain here is 4.5 (same with East coast). What are your bush and foliage beauties in spring? Thanks. pics. are taken May 15 in a no-spray garden: Below 6th-year own-root Bohemian Rhapsody is 100% thornless with sweet pea scent:

10-year own-root Carding Mill is nice despite dying to 1 foot. I constantly have to lime & provide potassium this to prevent blackspots after blooming. It's a heavy bloomer so there's depletion of nutrients after blooming.

10th-year own-root Blue Mist is always healthy & drought-tolerant near a large spruce.

10th-year own-root Comte has severe winter-die back since it's on a raised bed:

I adore below Christopher Marlowe's always healthy leaves as 11th-year own-root:

7th-year own-root Dee-lish is cane-hardy, likes the biochar at pH 8.

4th-year own-root Princess Charlene de Monaco is cane-hardy.

Below 11-year own-root Pat Austin has the best glossy foliage & prefer alkaline pH

Comments (26)