SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

11/29/15: Rootstocks for pots, tips for roses & our health & recipes

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Above pic. is Perle d' Or, own-root in a pot with snow, winterized in my dark & unheated garage. Pic. taken the day before Thanksgiving, Nov. 25. It's 100% healthy, no pests, no diseases. That's the 1st time in 4 years of pots !! Things I did right this year:

1. Own-root from a tiny-rooting is wimpy & small. So put a 4" layer of soil mixed with alfalfa pellets ON TOP. That for constant release of nutrients, plus to lock in moisture.
  2. This was wet year. To buffer acidic rain, I put 1/4 cup of pea-gravel, for slow-release of calcium & magnesium & trace elements. Advantages: Pea gravel magnifies the fragrance. Pea-gravel scatters out and doesn't block out rain like big-chunk red-lava rock. Pea gravel is alkaline, so it neutralizes acidic rain.
  3. It rained so much I didn't bother with SOLUBLE fertilizer. I followed U. of Kentucky success with Omega 6-6-6 (blood meal, bone meal, sulfate of potash). I put high-bone meal fertilizer NPK 4-10-7 in the potting mix. Also topped with 1 tablespoon sulfate of potash, 1 tablespoon gypsum, and 2 tablespoon blood meal. This lasted for 2 weeks of constant rain.

What are your tips for roses? Tips to stay healthy? and healthy recipes? Thanks.

Comments (79)

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
    8 years ago

OK, so here is something more delightful which I am sure you would appreciate....these are the pics of wild Rosa webbiana. I took these pics in various parts of Northern Areas of Pakistan. All roses shown in the pics are wild. Since God takes care of these roses, apparently He does it far better than us.

This bush was 8-9 ft high and had numerous thick trunks. Covered an area not less than 10 ft in diameter. I would rate the scent of individual bloom as Light musk linseed oil but since there were thousands of blooms at one time..... the whole area was perfumed. These pics were taken in July 2015

Here is Rosa webbiana growing in natural habitat on the shores of 12000 ft high Riochug Tso. I visited this lake in June 2007 for a catching a monster trout which were reported in this lake. It involves a 5 hours steep climb to reach this lake.

strawchicago z5 thanked Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
    8 years ago

Few pics from our trip to Northern Areas of Pakistan this summer. The place that you see is a lake in Himalayan region at 10500 ft. An isolated valley which is not much frequented by humans and remains inaccessible from Oct to May every year.

Time stops at Domel Lake.........

My son fly fishing for trout at Domel Lake

Not many things taste better than a brown trout from a high altitude lake cooked on the spot

Catching trout was a bonus. Just being there was the real pleasure.....

• Related Discussions

10/27/15: Tips & recipes & thoughts to healthy life and healthy roses

Q

Comments (63)
    JESS: Thank you for the pics. & neat info. about Badger .. I really enjoy learning about the animals in South Africa. One cup of chicken manure per bush is TOO MUCH. In a British rose forum, a lady burnt her roses by using chicken manure once a month. In my cold zone, I use chicken manure VERY SMALL amount when the temp is cool & rainy. Folks use Rose-Tone (has chicken manure) once a month for roses in pots. But that has only 1/6 chicken manure. I would use only 1/2 cup, 1 cup would be too salty. I killed a rose by mixing 1/2 cup of chicken manure in the planting hole. When chicken manure touches the root, it kills the root, best to dilute ONLY 1/2 cup with soil before spreading around the bush. I started a new thread, "10/30/15: Bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes." http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3473294/m=3/10-30-15-bad-habits-good-habits-rose-and-health-tips-recipes
    ...See More

10/30/15: bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes

Q

Comments (54)
    Wow!! Carol, I'm happy for you. Heel to toe for 8 steps takes a lot of coordination, and YOU DID IT. When my kid was 4 years old, she would be so happy when I lost weight on the scale ... health for my friends cheer me up more than roses. I'm elated when I heard Garran home & healthy, and I'm happy about rain for Jess & no more thorns in her toe. I am happy when my daughter is happy. I'm sure that's how God, our Father in heaven, feels .. He's happy when His children (us) are happy. My kid has a friend came over today (same age). The friend was on Ensure (canned nutrition with soy milk) .. her skin was clean this past summer. I did research on soy milk and thyroid disorder, yes, there's a slight link, esp. with carrageenan added. So I e-mailed this teenager info., and her nutritionist switched this gal from Ensure (soy-based) to Kefir (fermented cow-milk). Fast forward today, this friend gets pimples on her face. I feel bad since the bad news about dairy didn't come out until this year. I google thoroughly when I switched my child from soy-milk to cow milk .. could not find a link between cow milk and acne until recently. But I learn something: always look at how many people are involved in any study. The thyroid & soy link are just a few personal testimonies, versus the below: " The famous Nurse's Health Study examining health habits of 47,000 nurses found that those who drank more milk as teenagers had much higher rates of severe acne than those who had little or no milk as teenagers. In other studies of over 10,000 boys and girls from 9 to 15 years old, there was a direct link between the amount of milk consumed and the severity of acne." Today I'm back to the diet that I was on when I was skinny: soy milk (new formula without carrageenan) & high fiber cereal ... I feel so much better & more energy. My kid loves her cereal & soy milk. She could NOT handle cow-milk either .. she's lactose-intolerant. I checked on soy milk again before I switch back: if the soy-protein is concentrated, like soy Isolate in faked meat, then it will screw up the thyroid. If the soy is concentrated and made on aluminum equipment, like tofu, then that will UP the risk of Alzheimer's. But soy milk in low dose with cereal, isn't bad ... at least it's freed of hormones, antibiotics, feces, and pus like in cow's milk. Soy milk is easier to digest, plus zero cholesterol. What I like the most is: it smells clean, NOT strong like cow-milk.
    ...See More

11/14/15: Products you love & recipes & roses and plants that give

Q

Comments (48)
    Carol: I admire your taking good care of your dogs ... I have one daughter, and it's hard enough to take care for her (such a fussy eater !!) Jim: I'm glad you are getting relief from your sore neck and shoulder .. pinched nerve takes a long time to heal. Jess: I found some quotes which I framed upstairs: The rough is mental. Our thoughts are the cause, rather than the effect. So true. My neighbor has a giant pile of leaves .. it seemed impossible, but after 10 trips with my wheel barrow, and scoop by scoop into the wheel barrow, I transferred all to my garden. Same with weight, it seems a giant pile, but one bite, or one clump of leaves shift-away, after many trips, or many days, the weight will be gone. Getting leaves teach me the importance one bite less, and soon the weight will be gone. Losing weight is fun if I look at it as a Christmas gift to myself: blasting my fat-load. Another quote which I framed: Joy is giving oneself unto forgetfulness. Losing weight can be fun if I give myself whole-heartedly. My most fun moment this year was working in the garden until I lost track of time, and wish I have more time. It can be that way with exercise too, once it's made into a habit, then it's easier.
    ...See More

12/15/15: Wise quotes, roses or what gave you health & happiness?

Q

Comments (49)
    Sam: Agree with you that biochar is low-level oxygen and slow-burning. Here's an excerpt from below link: "Without sophisticated kilns and ovens to produce modern biochar, this ancient material was likely made by setting alight a pile of organic material before covering it with dirt to eliminate oxygen but hold in the heat from the fire which, in turn, baked the organic matter. http://www.azocleantech.com/article.aspx?ArticleId=183 The above link is worth clicking, it shows vigorous plants grown with biochar, versus without. The reason why biochar is better than wood-ash? It's like cooking food with a slow-cooker (crock-pot), versus burning food on a hot fire. Slow-cooking retains more nutrients, versus LESS nutrients with fast burning & lots of oxygen. When my neighbor burned wood in a open-fire-pit, the heat was so intense that it converted our heavy-black-clay into reddish clay. Nutrients in foods are destroyed at high temp, same with wood-ash: less nutrients than biochar.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Khalid, for such wondrous pictures. We are very lucky to have you (Pakistan) & Msdorkgirl (Hawaii), and Jess (South Africa) in Organic Rose forum: fantastic photography & camera, and places that I can't afford to visit.

I want to keep this thread long so I can see those pics. many times. I love mountains & lakes & roses, and fresh-caught fish. It's a real pleasure to see your pictures, Khalid.

I brought up the safe temp. for food since our refrigerated turkey tasted spoiled the next day, but the roast-turkey pieces which I froze tasted fresher. I refrigerated the meat when it's warm, and I stuffed them into a tall bowl, so the bottom piece stayed warm longer & got spoiled.

The refrigerator's temp is below 40 F or 4.4 C. But the freezer temp. is below 32 F, or 0 C, which bacteria can't multiply. It was Sam who gave the recipe for roasting beef at 200 F or 94 C. oven, then high-heat-steam portions right before serving. Bacteria is plenty on the OUTSIDE of the roast only, so high-heat on the outside makes sense right before serving.

Safe range of temp. for beef is lower than poultry. The government website advised to cook raw beef and roast to a minimum internal temp. of 145 F or 63 C, and let it rest for 5 min. But the recommended internal temp. of poultry is higher at 165 F or 74 C.. For roasting poultry, use an oven temperature no lower than 325 °F or 162 C.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food.pdf

The info. of bacteria doubles its population every 20 min. for the Danger-Zone of 40 F or 4.4 C. to 140 F or 60 C. That could had saved my family from spoiled turkey the next day !! There's a true story of a guy going home and saw baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil, still warm. He ate it, got so ill from the bacteria-toxin and was in the hospital for 6 months. His Mom wrapped the potato in aluminum foil to keep warm, except the son ate it many hours later, when the bacteria multiply to a toxic level.

The below is from a professional chef:

" Yes. Baked potatoes are particularly hazardous; especially if you place foil over them. Botulism, a toxin produced be a bacteria, is extremely deadly. Not many people survive botulism poisoning.
    If the potatoes aren't cooled properly, this bacteria will grow and multiple. They thrive in oxygen free environments. Baked potatoes covered in foil are a perfect breeding ground. It doesn't matter is the potato is reheated to kill the bacteria. Its not the bacteria itself but the toxins it produces as a byproduct that are dangerous. They can't be cooked out. "

Source(s): chef
    Serv/Safe Certified

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080217002243AABKhpZ

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Wow thanks for sharing those pics Khalid Waleed! Awesome scenes! I could see how time would stop at that lake Khalid Waleed...

Yep God did a wonderful job with those rose bushes!

That Brown Trout looks good! We have streams, creeks here with lots of Trout minus the high altitude though...lol

Not much going on here it has been chilly and rainy for a few days...No snow in the forecast for the next full week. Usually we start getting snow about 1 week before DEC 25th...

I took a 30 minute walk this morning but with it raining and being only 39 degrees it felt twice as cold....lol... I have a routine doctor appt at 4pm so will be leaving soon for that...

How is everyone elses day going?

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

many many thanks for that info Strawberry Hill.. I think a slow cooker is just what I need, I will shop around here...and thanks also for those recipes! have them saved :-)

wow wow totally awesome photo's of lakes and roses and trouts Khalid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

things I can only dream about...what a wonderful beautiful world this is .... such special places....creatures and lovely human beings, I am so fortunate to experience all your stunning home-worlds in this forum...

8 years ago

Thanks a lot everyone. I am so glad you enjoyed my pics.

Here are few more.....

This is Attabad Lake that was formed in 2010 when a whole mountain fell into the Hunza River gorge and completely blocked it, forming a lake that was 22 km long and 350 ft deep and 8500 ft above sea level. Later, in order to avoid possibility of breaking of the natural dam, a cut was made allowing the water to exit downstream. This has reduced the lake length to 13 km. Karakoram Highway, the highest road in the world that connects Pakistan and China now runs 100 ft inside the lake in this portion. Now a tunnel has been constructed but in July this year when I took this photo, the only way to connect this 13 km gap in the road was through a boat. And can you imagine these guys trying to take their Land Cruiser across on the boat....Further details can be seen at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attabad_Lake

Kachura Lake near Skardu in Baltistan area. The serine environment of this lake always fascinates me. This lake is surrounded by high mountains on all sides.

Visited this resort first time in 1991 and was sold forever. Located at 7500 ft asl near Skardu city, it's a fascinating place. Few more views of the resort....

The pagoda at night. Surrounded by water, it's a lovely place to dine

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Khalid, for the pics. of pristine lake Kachura .. those made my day, like heaven !! I googled for more pics. of Kachura lake, and it's the most beautiful & majestic lake ever !!

I like those places which stay true to nature & less people. My sister visited Japan many times for their cherry blossoms, but Japan has tons of people & artificial beauty, rather than natural. Same with Chicago Botanical garden: all the lake & waterfalls are man-made.

Your pics. remind me of a resort in Vietnam's mountain: Da Lat. Google "pictures of da lat, Vietnam" and you'll see the resemblance. I went there as a child, and still remember the beauty 40+ years later. I remember looking down the hill, and see rows of colorful veggies-garden: red cabbage, cauliflower, flowers, and volcano-made lakes, or going through miles of green-mountain paths without seeing any car. What's best was the weather: cool and crisp.

Seaweed from Southern CA, a former poster here & a vegan, also got really sick from eating spoiled potato. People think that only meat-eater get food-poisoning, but vegans do get sick from eating spoiled veggies. In 2011, 16 people died from eating cantaloupe. My neighbor made a healthy cream-of spinach soup: used a blender to grind the spinach to bits, then mix into her soup .. except she didn't cook the mush-up spinach long enough, and ended up in the hospital overnight. It took the strongest antibiotics before she got better. It takes from 2 min. to 4 min. of heat to kill the germs in spinach, see below link:

" Charles Pavia, a microbiologist at the New York Institute of Technology, infected spinach with bacteria from the September 2006 E. coli outbreak that struck several regions of the United States, then microwaved or boiled the greens for different lengths of time to see how many bacteria survived.

Boiling for 30 seconds destroyed 91% to 93% of bacteria, a minute raised the kill rate to 96% to 98%, and two minutes of heating eradicated 99%. Microwaving showed similar numbers. Finally, the spinach was heated for four minutes, at which point no signs of live bacteria showed up in the Petri dishes."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/14/news/la-heb-spinach-20100914

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jess: When I was single, I never use my big oven, but I used my crock-pot a lot. I soaked beans overnight ... in the morning I add meat & veggies .. let it slow-cook for 8 hours. When I get home from work, food is ready. Sometimes I leave food for more than 8 hours, and it's still safe.

Crock-pot keeps the texture of meat & veggies, and the broth is more flavorful, since nutrients like magnesium & calcium can leach out of bones with prolonged cooking. I have 3 pressure-cookers, and dislike the mushy-texture and the stinky taste. Pressure-cooker is dangerous & the taste is inferior to stove-stop, or crock-pot.

If you get a crock-pot, get a size larger than what you want. Both crock-pot and pressure cooker can only be filled up to 2/3, otherwise they don't cook right. Veggies & beans & bones need lots of space. A big oval crockpot allows room for a big bone, or baking bread. Still remember in college: I made beef stew in the morning with a tall & small crock-pot: the bottom is small, so the top didn't cook well .. cabbage still crunchy after 8 hours.

If you plan on using crock-pot to roast meat, or to bake bread, get one with a rack for the bottom. The tall & round crock-pot doesn't heat food well (beans are tough after 12 hours !!) ... but my current oval one, with a larger bottom heat food faster. Plus the removable oval pot is easier to clean with a wider bottom.

Some tough beans like pinto and chickpeas require overnight soaking, plus boiling the beans before putting in a pre-heated crock-pot. Heating food before putting in a pre-heated crock-pot can save cooking time by 1/2 hour, plus making beans more tender. Re-post the link to my Pinterest of crockpot recipes:

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/slow-cooker/

8 years ago

Thanks Straw. Googled the pics of Dalat and no doubt it's a beautiful place. Water falls are breath taking. I visited Vietnam in 2008 for 8 days but couldn't go to Dalat though I did visit Ha Long Bay which is another spectacular place to visit.

Thanks for info on killing bacteria in the veges.

BTW, many of my pics (all landscapes, roses, culture and wildlife) can be seen on my FB page at KBW's Photography

8 years ago

Partridge shoot last Sunday....

A male black frankolin

My son Haider and my pointer dog Shooter relaxing in a gorge with a hunting friend and the hunting guides. As usual, I am the photographer

Shooter..... he is an outstanding pointer and retriever.

We shot 15, three less than our bag limit of three guns

What a wonderful day it was. We walked in the low hills for 8 km and most of the birds were found in ravines / gorges where we couldn't find enough space to shoot. However, shooting was secondary. It was a pleasure to be in the wilderness again....

8 years ago

Nice photo Jess! Traveling across the lands would be great! My son has traveled most of the US and to Germany, Spain, France, etc....

I travel all the time when I'm dreaming at night... lol... Cheaper that way...lol

Did you ever hear of the Lady Of Lourdes in France? My friend wants to visit there someday soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8u2sMw4PaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cp3Bb6DTWQ

Long older Movie on youtube about it (2 parts)...I loved watching it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGtUt7a8Rz0

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JESS: I can tell you more about Da Lat, Vietnam. I was around 10 or 11 when I vacationed there, still have photographic memories of that green city up the mountain: I woke up at dawn when the sun rose and looking down from the hill, I saw the city bathed in pink pre-dawn: gorgeous !!. I ordered banana wrapped in sticky rice, roasted on red charcoal from a street-vendor, then I looked down the valley and saw the many farms with colorful rows of veggies and flowers.

Da Lat's mountains are green, with many trees & flowers, rather than brown & little plants like California or Colorado (I had been to both places). We had picnic at a lake, created by volcano. The lake was pristine clean. We also visited a Buddhist temple. It's the most romantic place ... many honeymooners travel there. There weren't much people 40 years ago. My sister came back to Vietnam recently and she's disappointed to see trees gone, replaced with more buildings & people.

Da Lat is known as the City of Eternal Spring ... it's spring-time all-year, perfect cool temp. due to the high altitude, plus good rain fall for flowers & farming. It's also known as "Little Paris", due to the French Colonial influence. Just watched some 2015 YouTube of Da Lat city ... things have changed: more buildings, more people.

Flowers & plants & animals & lakes & mountains are what make a place worth seeing ..

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Taken 11/30/15 (just posting and running ... school tonight), awesome photos though, will read this evening!

White Licrice

Elle

Easy Does It

Butterfly just hanging out on Francis Meilland

strawchicago z5 thanked msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Great shots MSgirl! Always enjoy your photos! Have a productive night at school!

Fantastic hunting pics Khalid Waleed! Very nice clear photos! Background scenery is awesome!

Thanks for the Vietnam link Jess!

8 years ago

Beautiful blooms msdorkgirl! Easy Does It and Ellen look fantastic

8 years ago

Straw: I am trying to check the local name of Moringa so that I get an exact feed back on this. It grows in Pakistan for sure. Normally feedback of people in the country side is more authentic on use of herbs.

8 years ago

Partridge BBQ. Marinated for 3 hours in a paste made of garlic, lemon juice, cumin seed powder, red chilies, green chilies and salt. While BBQ, apply a bit of olive oil (mixed with lemon & salt ) to keep the meat tender

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Khalid: Your dog Pointer is a nice-looking dog. That's the 1st time I see partridges. Thank you for those great hunting pics.

Msgirl: Elle has a nice deep pink color & I love your foliage, and the butterfly pic. is awesome.

8 years ago

That Partridge BBQ is making my mouth water Khalid Waleed!

8 years ago

Partridge BBQ is one of the best Jim. Brown Frankolin that we have here is very tasty. Black Frankolin and See See Partridge are equally good

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Khalid: I looked up Patridge in Wikipedia: "These are medium-sized birds, intermediate between the larger pheasants and the smaller quails. Partridges are native to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Partridges are ground-nesting seed-eaters."

Thank you for the recipe of roasting birds ... will try that with chicken. My brother shot pheasants in Michigan. It makes very sweet soup, better than turkey.

JESS: What season are you in South Africa? Spring, summer, or fall? We have lots of snow now. I don't have roses to sniff, but I really enjoy sniffing lavender oil before bedtime .. that put me to sleep faster than melatonin.

CAROL: Is your flu gone completely? For a week I didn't nap well, and yesterday I had a brewer's yeast .. and my afternoon-nap is back to normal. Brewer's yeast is high in B-vitamins & help with deep sleep & the immune system. Seaweed is high in B-vitamins too, but it's too salty.

MsGirl: Bluegirl in TX e-mailed me about her success rooting roses in clay pots (more breathable). She wrote: "Last fall I did a lot of thick root stock sticks in sand/perlite in clay pots. For the drainage, but also because I had large amounts of heavy canes to stick. The size & weight were helpful. Had good success with most, but the Fortuniana would not root for me--it just has to have lots of warmth to root. Even though I prepared a hot bed for it, no luck. I won't try it again except in the summer. But De La Grifferaie, Huey, IXL, etc. rooted reliably." Bluegirl in Texas.

Dr. Huey-rootstock likes it well-drained and alkaline. The fabric & breathable Smart pot would be good to keep roses-grafted-on-Dr.Huey in through the rainy season. Then for the drier season, stick those Smart-Pot inside a bigger plastic-container, to retain moisture for the drier season. The Smart-Pot is cheap & I plan on testing it on cheap-grafted-on-Dr.Huey roses, sold at local store for $8. Roots-growth is best when there's oxygen, either through extra holes drilled, or Smart-Pot (breathable light fabric), or through terracotta (thick-clay pot).

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Straw - Not gone completely. And I have this pain up and down my chest whenever I cough. Bruised a rib? Torn a muscle? So I'm not doing my exercises cause I can't breathe very well, and I am sore.

But I walked today for an hour. Not very fast. But I walked.

My VivoFitHR (step counter, etc.) is coming soon. So then I can walk 10,000 steps a day (hopefully.)

These pictures have been sooooo beautiful!! Wow!!!

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

Carol

I am glad you are keeping up your walking. I can't wait to see pictures of all your roses and all those blue flowers. I like it when I have blue salvia to go with the color of the roses.

Straw I smell the lavender too!. Its the best.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sam: Blue flowers are my favorite, that's why I keep my 2 invasive Russian Sage bush. I sprinkle lavender and frankincense oil on a tissue, and sniff it for 5 min. ... that put me to sleep. I bought Frankincense oil since it reminds me of Mary Magdalene rose' scent. Frankincense oil is a sedative, see excerpt from link below:

" Immune System: Frankincense Oil is effective as an antiseptic, and even the fumes or smoke obtained from burning it have antiseptic and disinfectant qualities that eliminate the germs in the space where the smoke filters out. It can be applied on wounds without any known side effects to protect them from tetanus and becoming septic. It is equally good on internal wounds and protects them from developing infections."

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-frankincense-essential-oil.html

Carol & everyone: I start a new thread "12/4/15: Rose thorn infection, winter-protect roses, prevent colds & flu", see below link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3541805/m=3/12-4-15-rose-thorn-infection-winter-protect-roses-prevent-cold-and-flu

8 years ago

Straw: Brown partridge and black partridge that you see in the pics above are actually Frankolin but are commonly called partridges. Black and Brown Frankolin are amongst the tastiest of game bird one can eat.

Carol: I wish you speedy recovery and good health.

Please meet Hardy, Buttons and Choco, our pets

Hardy is 3 years 9 months old. He is my retriever during waterfowl and upland shoots.

Buttons is 2 and a half years old. He is quite big and heavy, doesn't show up like that in the photo...

Choco when she was 4 months old. She is Button's daughter

Choco today, she is 7 months old. This is her favourite place in the house. Normally sleeps on this chair.

8 years ago

Those pet pics are just awesome Khalid Waleed! Our pets are like our children here...

8 years ago

Thanks for the comments Jim. Our pets are like our children too. Very dear to us.

Straw: Here is a typical Pakistani curry made of partridge meat. Ingredients include partridge meat fresh onions, garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, red chilies, cumin seed, coriander, some cinnamon and salt. It is served with local bread made of wheat flour called Chapati.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

That's a beautiful lab you have!! And it's lovely to know that he works for you.

Love the kitties!

Carol

8 years ago

Thanks Carol. Hardy has been a bit out of practice this year because I couldn't go on a duck shoot. And it's very important for the retrievers to stay in practice, not only for technique but mainly for maintaining their swimming stamina. The dog also has to sit motionless when the ducks approach. I hope he still remembers what to do.

Best regards

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Khalid: Your retriever Hardy has a beautiful black hair, and your cats Buttons and Choco hair are so soft & shiny and fluffy .. what do you feed your pets with? They look healthy .. plus I like the décor of your house: nice Persian Carpet, artistry chairs, and pots. Your wife does a great job decorating the house.

8 years ago

Yes Straw. My wife does all the great job..... I just pay for it

Wood carving is excellent in Pakistan. Most of our furniture is hand carved in traditional way. I haven't seen this kind of furniture in most other places. Will post more pics of hand carved furniture that we have....

best regards

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Khalid what a great photographer you are, and such beautiful furry friends...

8 years ago

Some eye candy for the friends who are bearing harsh winters...... Be patients, good weather will come...

This is Minimarg village in the Minimarg Valley in Baltistan, Northern Pakistan. This valley is at 1000 ft above sea level and the only way to access this valley is through 14000 ft high Burzil Pass which remains closed from October to April every year. During this time, this place remains cut off from rest of the country except through helicopter or if one has the courage to walk through Burzil Pass (2 days and 1 night walk).

This is another far off village named Bunyal in Gultari Valley in Baltistan. Located at 10500 ft above sea level, it can only be accessed from May to Oct every year. In winters, it is a 5 days walk on snow from the nearest all weather road.

Both Minimarg and Buniyal can only be approached from 14000 ft high Burzil Pass. This photo was taken on 22 July, the hottest period during entire year. You can still sea snow on the mountains. This small pristine lake at the top is a heavenly. Hundreds of bulbs grow in this area..... the great grand parents of Tulips, Hyacinths, Daffodils, Gladiolus as well as wild Roses still grow in these areas.

This is Deosai.... the highest plain ground on planet Earth. At 14000 ft above sea level, it's a plain area of 50km x 100 km. As you can see, there are no trees here as trees do not grow above 12000 ft. This area is home to Himalayan Brown Bear and Snow Leapords. Millions of wild flowers can be seen growing in Deosai Plains from Jun to Aug every year and the whole atmosphere is perfumed. I took this picture on 26th of July this year. There is perhaps no place like Deosai anywhere...... It can only be visited from June to September.

This is village Thali in Minimarg Valley. Far away from civilization and cut off from rest of the country for more than 6 months every year, the life here is still quite primitive. Houses are made of tree logs and animals / limited agriculture is the way of life. When I interacted with the people here, I was surprised to see that no one knows how to lie. They just speak truth as this is the only form of expression they know. Very simple.... so pure.

All these pics were taken during my visit to the Northern Areas of Pakistan during July this year. During this time of the year, these places would be under 5-10 feet of snow and temperatures would be in the range of -20*C.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love all those pics. I feel very blessed to see pics. of places no one have access to. Thank you, Khalid. The poor may not have much, but they have the most precious possession: truth and honesty. So much of our material possession come from greed & ego and insecurity. They bog us down. I went down the basement, and the 2 exercise machines I use the most are: Nordic-ski which we bought from garage sale for $25 (no need for electricity), Elliptical machine which doesn't need electricity. I rarely use our treadmill, needs to plug in & very noisy. I rarely use our bowflex: need to hook up cables. More stuff isn't better.

The best exercise of all: just to dust the stairway.

8 years ago

This is Rondu Village and Rondu Valley which is an off shoot of the great Indus River Valley near Skardu. Just look at this serine village. This pics was taken from a nearby hill top. This is around 7000 ft above sea leavel.

This is a fascinating place, very less frequented by humans. It's Shigar River flowing down from Deosai Plains in Baltistan area. The height of this area is around 13000 ft hence no trees. The last human settlement is around 15 kms short of this place. This pic was also taken from a high point.

This is Sharda village. Located in Neelum River valley in Kashmir. it's one of the most beautiful villages I ever saw. Looks like a fairy land. Height 6500 ft above sea level. Lot of thick pine forests in these areas and lot of wild rose species also....

Evening sunshine on a ridge behind Aliabad village. Located in the upper Neelum Valley at around 8000 ft above sea level, it's a fascinating place. The river in foreground is Neelum River. Visited this place in July 2012 last time.

All photos less the third have been taken by me. Sharda village was captured by my son Haider

regards

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haider is a nice name .. I like how it sounds. What does Haider mean? Gorgeous landscape & pristine lakes .. I need to see that to be reminded that God is in control of everything ... rather than us humans. Thank you for those fantastic shots .. I appreciate the views (it's flat in Chicagoland).

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Beautiful scenery ... that's what's lost in living in a city. Thank you Kahlid!

8 years ago

Straw: Haider is an Arabic word that means "Lion".

OK.... time for a pictorial story

Here is Choco who has recently been renamed Brownie (wife wants it this way so I have to concur). Brownie seems curious (and somewhat concerned) about the way I am watering the lawn early in morning.

And then she finds Hardy, the big black lab playing with his bone. Brownie, curious about what Hardy was doing, checks out the bone. Hardy, as courteous as ever , allows Brownie to have a deep look

But then Hardy realises that Brownie is getting "too interested". He re-establishes his claim on the bone and Brownie sits back and watches. Being the oldest pet in the house, he is probably trying to be courteous to Brownie who was born in the same house 7 months back

Miscalculating Hardy's gentle demeanor, Brownie makes a move but Hardy has the bone well secured
    Hardy's gentleness further encourages Brownie to go for a kill. Hardy is still least interested.

And the moment Brownie tries to touch Hardy.....

Lesson: ??????

What lesson we can draw here ??

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Beautiful cat!!! I love how he looks!!! The dog is very patient, but enough is enough!!

Carol

8 years ago

Yes Carol, Hardy was very patient for quiet some time. I think having seen brownie grow from a small cub to a full size cat, he was a little too courteous but then, one growl and here goes Brownie. Then she was so scared that disappeared in the garage and I had to spend some time to take her out.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think they are ready to fight in the last picture. Brownie is a cute name ... I'm making brownie tonight, but I put healthy stuff in, like olive oil, coconut flakes, ground flax seeds, and 1 cup of oatmeal for fiber, plus soymilk. it's very filling & less sweet. I don't eat brownie, I give to husband & kid for their lunches.

Flax seed is high in estrogen, same with pumpkin seeds. Last year I ate lots of pumpkin seeds, and my period came back ... weird for a menopausal woman (54) to have period !!

Ever since I switched my kid to soy milk (more estrogen), plus putting flax seeds in baked goods ... her pimples are lessened, skin clear up, and she agrees to hug me !! The female hormone (estrogen) inclined her toward hugs, rather than pulling away like a boy.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Straw - my mom had breast cancer, and the doctor told her not to have foods that increase estrogen - like flax. So be careful. :)

It's nice to see that the estrogen helped your daughter so much!

Carol

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • User
    8 years ago

Brownie is lucky to have such a nice friend like Hardy.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carol: Some doctors mistake phytoestrogen (God-made & natural) with chemical estrogen (man-made). My Swedish mother-in-law grew up drinking tons of cow-milk (zero flax, zero soy), and had a mastectomy at 40 year old.

No history of breast-cancer in my family of 9 girls (I'm the youngest girl), nor in my Mom nor Dad's side ... we eat tons of soy-products in Vietnam & zero cow milk. I got curious about phytoestrogen (occur naturally in plants) versus chemical hormones added to cow milk .. found this article from Cornell University: "A diet rich in phytoestrogens has been proposed as a way to decrease breast cancer risk. Some, but not all studies show that women with a diet high in phytoestrogens, including vegans (who eat no animal foods) and women who eat diets high in soy products, have lower rates of breast cancer.

Why is this so? Most phytoestrogens are not stored in the body, but are quickly broken down. Phytoestrogens are weak estrogens, and may prevent stronger human estrogens from binding to the estrogen receptor. If the weaker estrogens bind to the receptor instead of the stronger ones, there may be less breast cell division. Women with diets rich in phytoestrogens also excrete more estrogens into their urine, and have lower blood estrogen levels. Some studies have shown that women with a diet rich in phytoestrogens have longer, and hence fewer, menstrual cycles. All of these factors may contribute to reduced breast cancer risk."

http://www.envirocancer.cornell.edu/FactSheet/General/fs10.estrogen.cfm

Below excerpt is from Oncology nutrition - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics " Animal studies have shown that both flaxseed oil and lignans can reduce breast tumor growth and spread, even for ER- cancer cells. This result suggests that flaxseeds may have anti-cancer benefits that are unrelated to any type of effect on estrogen or estrogen metabolism."

https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/hot-topics/flaxseeds-and-breast-cancer/

Phytoestrogen is DIFFERENT from chemical hormones injected into cow to make them produce milk longer. An excerpt from below link: "new study out of Harvard University showing that pasteurized milk product from factory farms is linked to causing hormone-dependent cancers. It turns out that the concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFO) model of raising cows on factory farms churns out milk with dangerously high levels of estrone sulfate, an estrogen compound linked to testicular, prostate, and breast cancers.

Dr. Ganmaa Davaasambuu, Ph.D., and her colleagues specifically identified "milk from modern dairy farms" as the culprit, referring to large-scale confinement operations where cows are milked 300 days of the year, including while they are pregnant. Compared to raw milk from her native Mongolia, which is extracted only during the first six months after cows have already given birth, pasteurized factory milk was found to contain up to 33 times more estrone sulfate.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035081_pasteurized_milk_cancer_dairy.html#ixzz3uj5y7wGc

Havard-trained doctor Andrew Weil, M.D. stated "Among women, milk consumption has been associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer in both the Nurses' Health Study and in a 2005 study from Sweden's Karolinska Institute.

Organic milk is better in many respects than conventional milk but still may be full of natural hormones. My advice: cut down on dairy products. Substitute soy milk for cow's milk when possible. Andrew Weil, M.D."

From Physicians committee for responsible medicine "In international and interregional correlational studies, dairy product consumption has been consistently associated with prostate cancer mortality.3-7 The largest and most recent of these, based on World Health Organization mortality figures for 1985-1989 from 59 countries and United Nations food balance data for 1979-1981, reported a strong correlation between per capita milk consumption and prostate cancer mortality (r = 0.78, P<0.0001).7 A more geographically restricted study, conducted in 20 Italian regions, found a similar correlation between prostate cancer mortality and milk consumption (r = 0.75, P <0.01).6

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/milk-consumption-and-prostate-cancer

*** From Straw: Agree with all the above researches, I gave flax oil to my kid to improve her eczema (skin-rash). I'm taking flax oil & flax seeds to improve my skin-rash. I develop an allergic reaction to the new batch of fish-oil (really stinky) .. and I still need Omega-3 for my dry-hands.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Wow! You really know your stuff! Plus you explained it all really well.

Thanks!

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carol: When I check & post excerpts I do that for myself to find the truth ... glad to know that it helps someone else.

Khalid: Didn't see your recipe of partridge until now, THANK YOU !! Khalid's recipe: " Here is a typical Pakistani curry made of partridge meat. Ingredients include partridge meat fresh onions, garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, red chilies, cumin seed, coriander, some cinnamon and salt. It is served with local bread made of wheat flour called Chapati."

Question for Khalid: what's the difference in taste between green chilies and red chilies? Which one is hotter?

I'm going to use Khalid's spice-combo for my rice & beans. We usually have brown rice with meat or fish. But to cut down on $$$, I soaked different beans overnight (black bean, red bean, or pinto) .. I boil the beans, freeze them, but save the bean's water to boil rice. Then I combine beans & rice with spices as a starch to go with meat or fish. The beans is high in protein & fiber so I eat less of the $$$ meat or fish. Beans is really cheap, $1 for a bag, plus healthier.

8 years ago

Question for Khalid: what's the difference in taste between green chilies and red chilies? Which one is hotter?

Straw: I guess the basic difference in my view is that green chilies are considered a vegetable and red chilies are counted amongst spices. Basically, one of the kinds of green chilies is left on the plant to fully ripen and turn red. Then it is dried and used both as whole or in powder form.

In affect, red chilies are much hotter than green chilies, however, there are certain forms of green chilies which are very hot too. I saw a very small size green chili in Indonesia and Malaysia that is far hotter than any form of chili that I ever tasted. It is in fact very tiny in size. In green chilies, general rule is that " bigger the size, lesser the bite, smaller the size, bigger the bite".

Every green chili can't be converted into useable red chilies. As far as I know, there are few types which, when ripened, can be used as red chilies.

regards

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Khalid: Thank you for your excellent info. Agree that the small green pepper are lethal in heat. My husband once plant a bunch of Harbanero pepper, really small, and really hot: