SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethany_farless

Smart home: Would you give up smart kitchen appliances for this?

Bethany Farless
2 years ago

So I picked out GE Cafe appliances for our new home. However, I decided hubby was right, and despite the fact that I've been ok with a 30" range so far, considering this is our forever home, I think he's right and we should go with a 36" for future Thanksgiving hosting, parties, etc (I am a pretty avid home cook). However, the Cafe Platinum Finish (which is very noticeably unique - it's like stainless with a clear glass facade on top, so it does not look similar to anything else you can buy) does not have a 36" range. Of course our local store has really good service, the same package rebates that any store will have, but also contractor pricing. We are also buying a W&D and possibly more from them. We had everything picked out for them ready to order - a 30" range, microwave/convection oven, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, and range hood (not including other appliances outside of kitchen). But when I wanted to go to 36" range, it's only available in other finishes. And btw, it's CRAZY expensive for its class. I was finally thinking "ok, if I have to get the 36" in stainless, let me look at all brands." In doing so, I found Bertazzoni. Not only does the range seem like everything I wanted for half the price of a Cafe, but the package deals are amazing. The ONE downside: no smart features. I am going for a full smart home experience. Our salesman said nobody needs a smart oven, it's just for service. But I am one of those that WILL use a smart oven - start preheating while I'm on my way home (hate late dinner), etc. However we save like $4000 by switching the brand entirely. Other than no smart features, the only downsides are the fact that we don't have local service to coordinate with the builder, make sure we have all the parts to go along with everything, etc. And actually that's a big deal. So I guess after a giant book leading to my question, the final question is, do you find your smart appliances to be worth the minor inconveniences I brought up?

Comments (9)