SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_710621259

Smart Home, wireless vs hardwired

Pisces House
2 years ago

We're in the planning stages of our forever home. Tech-wise, we are early adapters, so in our current home (150 years old, with thick brick walls, so it's a challenge) we're already using a lot of smart home devices/technology. For the new build, I want to get my systems researched and planned as much in advance as I can, and in searching the discussions here on Houzz and elsewhere, I'm seeing a lot of advice to run low voltage wiring throughout.

In our current house, everything is wireless. I'm at a loss to understand why I would want to run so much low voltage wiring but am open to learning the pros/cons since I have this one-time opportunity to get it right in a new build.

For reference, at our current house we are using:

Sonos speakers (7 throughout house)

Ring doorbell (this one has a battery which I hate, and one device I would definitely consider replacing with a hardwired version)

Hue lightbulbs & hub (hub is plugged in via ethernet)

WeMo electrical plugs (will want to replace these with smart receptacles in new home)

Nest CO2 and smoke alarm (battery)

eero WiFi extenders

Wyze indoor and outdoor cameras (love this company and their products)

EcoNet thermostat (terrible app, terrible interface but we had no choice)

We use Alexa and Siri for voice commands (we're an all Apple/Mac household, so moving towards using HomeKit and Siri would be nice).

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on wired vs. wireless, and especially any of you who are Apple users and using Siri/HomeKit, which sadly still lags behind Alexa in terms of compatible devices...

Comments (16)