SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irenethompson

Input for kitchen design in 650sf rental house

Irene T
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am converting an outbuilding into a 1 bedroom rental. I have the bed, closet, bath and LR pretty much set. The only dilemma is what the kitchen (and as a result the laundry room) should look like. One is a U shape and one is L with an island. My concern is that the L shape is too big for the house, but I don't have enough experience to be able to judge that.

L Shaped:

U Shaped:

L Shape 3D:

U Shape 3D:

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (49)

• blueskyquilts
    2 years ago

I prefer the U shaped version. It is very similar to the one in our guest house except our stove is on the refrigerator wall. That leaves the whole back counter open as work space. We lived and cooked there for 1 1/2 years while remodeling our house and it worked perfectly. I am not sure of our dimensions but it looks similar.

Why did you increase the size of the laundry room in the u shaped version? That seems like wasted space.

Barbara

Irene T thanked blueskyquilts
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for the input!!

The U shaped is not as wide as the L shape so that gives more room for the laundry room. If I widen the U shape as much as the L, it would be way too big or the sf of the house. I could widen the kitchen by a foot or so just to give it more space. Either way, with the large laundry there will be room for shelves or a place to store bikes or what ever else the renters have.

Also, my friend who loves to cook likes the U shape also. U shapes in general are more functional. Thanks again!

• Related Discussions

Beach house/vacation rental new construction kitchen plan

Q

Comments (16)
    They're bigger, but still not legible - at least the top one is illegible. Rotag - can you zoom your PDF to fit your monitor screen and then take a screen shot? Then, save the screenshot as a JPG file and post it here? Can you also post specific measurements rather than general? I.e., the width of each window/wall/door/doorway and the distances b/w each window/wall/door/doorway. You do say windows/doors can be moved - any/all of them? I can already tell that most likely your overhang is too shallow - you have plenty of space, so increase the island to 41.5" deep. I also think you need to move the DW & sink over to have more landing space to the right of the sink - you risk splashing water all over the floor as well as knocking things off the counter (like glass!) You could move the DW as far as you can to the left into the corner and then have a 27" cabinet turned 90 degrees on the other side (facing the seats) rather than deadening out the space. It could house seldom-used items or items for the living/dining area.
    ...See More

Help design a teeny tiny kitchen in a teeny tiny vacation rental

Q

Comments (241)
    Jillius, I made the Saturday afternoon "deadline" he wanted. I didn't think I would. But, thanks to you and everyone's incredibly generous help, WE did it! I'm thrilled with the plan! I read through the thread again just now. It is completely blowing my mind to see how the design evolved and changed over the course of a week into what we have now. Everyone played an important part with all their input. I will be forever grateful to all of you. It might take a few years to have it all up and running, but I will keep you all posted on the progress. I will start a new thread whenever he gets the walls and roof on. Laughable, I'm am dead serious, just last night my husband said, "You are going to have to start calling me 'Mr. Rebunky' on your GW." Hysterical you said that. Imgch, thanks. I love your reveal! I'm going to go look at all your eye candy again right now. Aloha!
    ...See More

Our architect designed, with builder input, a house WAY over budget

Q

Comments (78)
    Yes take a comb through the materials and price them out. Have at least 4 builders price out your project with all the trades. Sometimes GCs that offer a level of self performance like carpentry can avoid double mark ups. Did you see any of the major quotes like excavation, framing, plumbing, etc? I'm doing a lower level finish. One bid was 60% over budget....another 44%....then with due dillengence we ended up 4% over budget but went with the contractor that was 10% over budget. Pricing wasn't the only varible at the end of the day. I'd hold the line and get more bids if you can - too much time and money vested - but if the bids come back similar time to cut the cord unless the redesign to meet budget is free.
    ...See More

Custom house build - looking for kitchen design input

Q

Comments (13)
    Just_janni thanks for your response. I actually feel like our design is very functional but I appreciate the perspective of others. The wall ovens are side opening so the landing zone for that is the counter to the right of the range top. That makes it easy to open with my left hand and grab the food with my right and pivot a step to place it on that countertop. I also don’t camp out in front of the ovens causing crowds, I put stuff in and pull stuff out and I’m gone. The fridge and freezer landing zone is the space left of the island sink as that will be my prep area so it’s all in one place. The microwave has a countertop below it for those needs. I wanted a clean up zone and I have a large one on the other side. The right side of the island is where I will store my every day dishes so that is the natural plating area for meals. I will also put my baking gear on that side of the range. That side won’t get as much use as the other side but it is a very large kitchen so it’s ok. I also didn’t want to have a bunch of stuff on that side because it’s the pathway to the laundry room and master suite. I think I will add a pantry door to the other side of the pantry, near garage/mudroom, so that is a walk through, and feel that will improve the flow.
    ...See More
  • beesneeds
    2 years ago

I would keep the 12'2" wall between the living area and the bedroom in pic one instead of the extra couple inches in pic 2. If you can cut that wall stub back more, even better. That little bit of wall extending past the bedroom door might make it more difficult to navigate furniture and people around that corner.

I like the U shaped kitchen better ( I love my U shape kitchen), but the laundry a smidge big. And the 4' width on the laundry room in pic one seems a bit tight. Perhaps a split of 15 inches between the two can make that U kitchen a bit roomier and leave the laundry a bit bigger without seeming wasteful of space. So a kitchen width of 10'8", and laundry 5'3" wide.

Tuck the broom storage into the laundry room, and make that broom closet a linen closet. Think cabinet/shelf kind of space to use the vertical storage, rather than the current more limited broom storage space.

Out of curiosity, does this building have a basement? Or space otherwise for where things like hot water heaters and furnaces and electrical boxes go. If not, you might need to take some of that laundry and closet space to put in a utility closet.

Irene T thanked beesneeds
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

beesneeds: Thank you so much for the input.

Wall between LR and BD: thanks, good idea.

I will widen the kitchen a bit in the U shape and see how it looks...would give me another cabinet, which would be great.

I kept going back and forth with a linen closet, but the age group I rent to doesn't have extra sheets or towels, but will toss it around again.

No basement. I will be using a tank less water heater (shown in the laundry room) and for the ac/heater it will be a mini split and will be outside. I am in Socal so we have great weather and don't need ac or heat too much at all.

Thanks again!

• bpath
    2 years ago

In a one-bedroom rental, do you need a tub and a shower? Would just a shower do? Or a tub/shower? Then you could add more storage. Maybe a laundry closet, and another closet about the same size. Or, because you could eliminate that little hallway, one large utility and storage space.

Oh, and the kitchen. I had a narrow U in a rental and it was really a "one-butt" kitchen. My current kitchen is a U but wider. I like a L. It gives some flexibility and only one corner.

• Liz Wakely
    2 years ago

Where did you create these designs?

Irene T thanked Liz Wakely
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi bpath. I spoke to "shower" people and they definitely would rather not have to shower in a bathtub. Bath people want a bath. I kind of want to make it special and thus have an advantage over other rentals in the area. I will toss that around though.

Thanks for the input on the L vs U. I tested out the space and 2 people can fit in the U. My main thought was people today seem to want "open concept".

Thanks again!

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

Concern about the bathroom:

-IIRC per code, you'd have to have more space around the toilet than you indicate.

-The shower is impractical size-wise. There's not enough space to move around.

-I would get rid of as much of that mini-corridor as possible: it's wasting valuable space. Shift the doors to the laundry and bathrooms about to where you have the 3' indicator with the arrows. Then half the corridor will turn into useable space, either for the bathroom, or for your utility room, or for extra storage.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

If I had to choose between a larger laundry room and a larger kitchen, I’d go for the kitchen. I don’t spend much time in the laundry room.

Irene T thanked flopsycat1
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Liz.

Floor Planner. It's great. Designed a 810 sf house a year ago using it.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

I agree with Flopsycat, in a house this size, I would prefer a larger kitchen. The washer dryer could even be a stackable in a closet.

Irene T thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi tangerinedoor:

-Re the toilet, codes requires at least 15 inches from the center of the toilet to any side wall or obstruction. It has that plus 4' clearance in front.

-Wow, I have been told by shower people that 34 x 52 is plenty of room. It is not shown in the plan, but the shower head will be at the opposite corner of the opening, so you will face a corner thus will have lots of elbow room.

-totally get it about the corridor! If I move the door back to the 3' dimension mark, the entry to the bathroom would eat up space and I would have to have a small vanity, shower or tub. The kind of entry I have going into the bathroom is the best as far as usable bathroom space.

Thanks so much for the input!

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi flopsycat1:

Thanks for the input. How about the storage in the rest of the laundry room? Also, would you rather have a side by side or stackable (full size, same as side by side) washer and dryer?

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Caroline:

Thanks! So do you like the L better than the U, or do you just like a bigger kitchen? Would you like the U if it were wider by adding another cabinet?

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

Hi, @Irene T! I’ve never used a stackable washer and dryer, but in a small space, any saver of space is a plus. I like @tangerinedoor’s idea of reconfiguring the bathroom/laundry area to minimize the corridor, if it’s possible to do so. Good luck with your project!

Irene T thanked flopsycat1
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

flopsycat1:

Thanks for the W/D input.

If I moved the door to the BA, I would loose room in the bathroom because of the room needed to enter. (see my comment to tangerine). Layout is difficult because the outside wall that runs from the BD to the BA is 6' 2" tall and the ceiling slopes up to 8' when you reach the bathroom door. I am playing around with that area though after the comment to see what I can do. So thank you very much! It is very helpful to get others opinions.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beuhl:

Thanks so much for the input!

-Great about the shower!

- I like a big vanity also. I don't think 41" is too shabby, but I get your point. I have been testing out claw foot tubs to make sure they are roomy enough but you won't hit your head on the vanity. I don't want to make the vanity any shorter than it is. 36" would fee cramped!

-Thanks for the designs!

• Buehl
    2 years ago

Refrigerator...unless you put a 9" to 12" wide cabinet (or filler) b/w the refrigerator and the wall, the wall cannot extend past the refrigerator's carcass/box. The doors must extend beyond the wall to be able to open the doors fully for full access and for removing bins for cleaning. For workflow and best access, the hinges should be on the side next to the wall.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beuhl:

I took the blind corner out and put in a drawer base. That is much better. Thank you!! Drawers are so great, especially wide ones.

As far as the trash, I have a 15" trash and I love it. Renters will only need one trash can, plus you get a bin for your trash bags and a drawer. I took a pic of mine. But I will toss around replacing it with a cabinet.

• mainenell
    2 years ago

I would prefer the L shape kitchen because it allows for space for a kitchen table. The U shape seems to eliminate that possibility.

Irene T thanked mainenell
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beuhl:

The frig will be 24" wide and I've got an extra 4" to play with on the sides. Thanks re the depth...I will pull the wall back.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mainenell:

I know, that's what I like about the L shape and why I did it.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

I am pretty involved in the Airbnb hosts group, so have a few questions about your space. Are you setting it up as a long term or short term rental? If your goal is short term, what is your area like, why do they come to your area?

My place is in the mountains, so guests are coming for daytime activities, not much in the way of nightlife. Which means I do need a full kitchen and an actual table because guests usually eat dinner in. Whereas, my son’s neighbor has a tiny Airbnb in Atlanta with a kitchenette and no dining table because it is within walking distance of Krog Street Market which has dozens of restaurants and guests eat most meals out. The goal with STR is heads in beds. So if you can squeeze in a loft bedroom to up your occupancy that would be beneficial.

Irene T thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Annette. It is a long term rental. So what you are saying is that the L shape, with the eat in table would be the best? The biggest table I can get in there, without making the kitchen too big for the space, is 42 x 28. Not sure if that will feel too cramped for 2 people. They would have to sit adjacent to each other most likely.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

Is it being rented furnished or unfurnished?

Oh, and just an FYI I looked at the new LG washtower the other day. It is a great setup and I’m hoping I can go with it when I get a new w/d.

Irene T thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Annette it will be rented unfurnished. I will look at the LG. Thanks!

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Re the bathroom. It is shown in the plan, but maybe not obvious. The outside wall of the bathroom (closet and BD also) is 6' 2" tall and slopes up to 8'. So that had to be accounted for in the design.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

"I kind of want to make it special and thus have an advantage over other rentals in the area"

What is desirable for rentals, regardless of how magazine-worthy the finishes look, are full size appliances, in-unit W/D, dishwasher, and lots of storage space.

"the age group I rent to doesn't have extra sheets or towels"

Wall space for secure inside bike storage and closet for outdoor gear may also be desirable to this age group. Also, it is not as important in a 1 bedroom to have a dining table, especially to those that do not have a decade of accumulated furniture in storage. They take up valuable floor space and a maximum 2 residents would rather just sit at an island. Besides, when entertaining additional guests, people usually hang at the island anyway, so seating there is optimum.

Irene T thanked 3onthetree
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

3onthetree:

Thanks for the feedback!

1. I have all the above and read lots of articles on what is desirable for tenants. (I have 2 other rental properties currently). The exception is the 24" range, which seems big to me. I could change it to 30", I will look at that!

2. Agree, tenants may have bikes, surf boards etc. and thus the large laundry room that will also be storage space.

3. An island. Yes, that's why I created the L shape kitchen so I could put an island in. I would provide the island, but other than that, it will be rented unfurnished.

So you think the L shape is best?

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

The 'L' is more open, but I don't look at design as the Bed/Bath is finished, so let's stick in a kitchen like a tetris piece. I would be evaluating the entire unit's spaces together, first by thinking about whether a 4' walk-in closet is inefficient, if that tub is freestanding that is crammed against walls, and other criteria like view and outdoor living area. So there may be, not sure, but may be more opportunity for a better kitchen layout where it just naturally comes together in the best way and you don't even have to look at weighing scenarios.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Funny you say that, I am doing another BA layout where I am expanding it so the tub isn't so cramped. Or leave what I have and get a shorted tub. Thanks again!

• Jean
    2 years ago

In our kitchen, the area where the fridge goes is recessed 6" back into
    the laundry room, which is just behind the kitchen as in your plan. That
    allows us to have the look of a counterdepth fridge (front is flush
    with the cabinets) yet it is actually a full size. Just a thought.

Irene T thanked Jean
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

3onthetree:

Also, the outside wall of the closet (BD and BA also) is 6' and the ceiling slopes up to 8'. Rents are crazy high here but the 30 somethings I rent to will come as a pair and are willing to pay. Since it will most likely be 2 people renting, a big closet is a must and I need a little extra because of the slope. Big closets, separate shower and tub are some of the things that make people stay, from my experience.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jean!

I did that on one of the iterations. I had forgotten that I did that, so I appreciate you bringing it up. I may bump it back once I am closer to a final plan.

• jimandanne_mi
    2 years ago

The way you show the clothes hanging in the BR closet doesn't work well - also, IMO bi-fold doors are a pain.

Seems like a 2' deep reach in closet would be better, with the BR becoming 2' wider. 10' wide for a queen sized bed would feel a little cramped to me.

Or keep the closet at 4' deep, chop off 1.5' for a 4' wide storage closet opening to the hall, and put the clothes rods on each side of the 4 x 6.5' closet for a total of 8' of hanging space.

Anne

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Anne

Thanks for the feed back!

I am not going to decide on the interior closet layout until it is framed in. The outside wall of the closet (bed and bath also) is 6' tall, so the ceiling is sloped, thus not as roomy as might appear on the plan.

Yes agreed, I am not using bifold, it is a bit how the software is/just for showing an opening.

• mainenell
    2 years ago

Have you looked at 24” fridges? They are are really inadequate for long term rental, IMO. I would go to a 28” fridge. Much more space and a real fridge. (Unless you are looking at those expensive brands that are really tall. Which would be overkill for a rental.)

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I always find it odd when OP's ask for input and then defend everything they already chose.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

@Irene T says:

-totally get it about the corridor! If I move the door back to the 3' dimension mark, the entry to the bathroom would eat up space and I would have to have a small vanity, shower or tub. The kind of entry I have going into the bathroom is the best as far as usable bathroom space.

You are forgetting that if you get rid of the corridor and allocate corridor space to the bathroom, you will have a significantly bigger bathroom.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tangerinedoor

I always find it odd when OP's ask for input and then defend everything they already chose.

Only on your input! :) Just kidding

Here is the latest fwiw:

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mainenell

I had planned on getting the 24" Whirlpool counter depth 12.7 cu. ft. at 71" high. I will check out the 28's. I went from a 24" stove to a 30" from the suggestions here so maybe I will go up a size on the frig too. Thank you!!

• Kat
    2 years ago

I like the L shaped better than the U.

There's a lot of replies, so not sure what has been said, but I would not use such a narrow width refrigerator. They are very limited. If you look at Lowes there is like one 24" and one 28" available. I'd get up to at least 30", because when it breaks beyond repair at some point and needs to be replaced you don't want size to be an issue.

Also I don't believe anybody really expects a tub and shower in a rental. Usually it would be a tub/shower combo. You could do a low tub that makes it more accessible.

Irene T thanked Kat
  • jimandanne_mi
    2 years ago

Are the windows and doors already there? I assume the support post shown in your first drawing is already there? Are any of the interior walls already there?

Anne

Irene T thanked jimandanne_mi
  • mainenell
    2 years ago

A 28” wide x about 68” high is around 18cf. I use the GE 28” wide (18cf) with glass shelves in all of my apartments.

Irene T thanked mainenell
  • Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jimandanne_mi

Hi,

Thanks for the questions!

--Windows and doors are not there now. Reasons for the door/window locations: I don't want any windows on the North (privacy, charm, you'd have to see it). South windows bring in the winter sun and there is a seasonal creek 30' away, so will put in a deck. East there is a grove of oaks, which are very pretty. West is not private and plus it gets hot here in SoCal so we don't want afternoon summer sun coming in.

-Support post is in the middle of the living room now (put on plan above) but it can be moved north along a straight line up to 6 ish feet from the north wall.

-The only current interior wall is a double wall (Purple and red) and goes from N to S outside walls. The purple rectangle is the original building. Then a 'lean to' was built (shown in red) on the outside of the original. The west outside wall of the lean-to is 6' 2" high (shown in green). Thus I am limited to what I can do in the BA. We will be taking out the entire red wall that is right by the purple wall to gain a few more inches. Obviously we will be doing support to open up the purple/red walls for the bedroom.

Also, the east and part of the north outside walls are the only place where you can enter at ground level. The south and west, you would have to take stairs to get up to the house. Maybe I'll take pics of the outside to make it more clear.

Thanks again!

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kat

Hi,

Noted! I have been mulling that over as well. I will look into the 30" frig's.

Thank you!

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

So I see you gave up owner storage and increased SF from your other threads?

input-for-500-sf-rental-house

suggestions-for-500sf-house-plus-kitchen

I think it's time for a local architect to design holistically rather than focusing piecemeal on the plan. You will need one for permit and seismic retrofit anyway. Right now there are too many moving parts, missing information coming out in drips, and the critical as-built missing.

The bearing wall between original and lean-to addition is something to weigh opening up. Also if the central column's associated beam (ridge beam, ceiling joist beam, or flush ceiling joist girder?) is visible that is something to look at with wall placement and defined spaces as well.

Be aware that rooms need minimum 7'-0" ceiling height, and bathrooms 6'-8". Bedroom can work around a slope, however bathroom is more stringent on clear ceiling height above showers and toilets and will change your current layout. Also understand about walk-in vs reach-in closets, where having 2' clear in front of hanging clothes doesn't get you much as the corner in the 'L' shelving/rod are unutilized. A walk-in needs to be much deeper.

• Irene T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @3onthetree

Thanks so much for the comments and the time you took to do it all!

The purpose of this posting was to get input on the kitchen, to see which one (L or U) people would like or would find more functional. It has snowballed into much more because of all the questions about the other areas (which is fine, I am happy to answer).

The beam in the living room will be hidden in the ceiling, but thanks for the inquiry. My contractor asked me if I wanted to expose (I did in our last project), and I said no, it doesn't fit this design.

My contractor has yet to see the new bathroom, but thanks for the heads up. I moved the shelving to the outside wall and that gives the clearance the toilet needs. I am still undecided between the original bath and this new one, but will keep your info at the forefront.

Thanks again!