SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebunky

Help design a teeny tiny kitchen in a teeny tiny vacation rental

rebunky
8 years ago

Hi everyone! I was hoping all you wonderful design geniuses would find it in your hearts to help me. ;) I'll try to give as much detail as possible to get the ball rolling.

Please let me know if I should have posted this in the building a home forum instead. Although, it is the kitchen that is really stumping me. I'm needing help designing a tiny yet functional kitchen. Galley? Pennisula? Obviously not fitting an island. :-)

Here goes....

We are remodeling a 15' x 36' cabin. That's the outside dimension before accounting for walls. It is tiny, but has an awesome view!

We plan to rent it out as a vacation rental. For the most part it would be for a couple. But my best friend (single g'ma raising her two grandchildren) will probably stay there for a month each year. So it may need to sleep one adult and two kids at the most.

Ideally, I'd like to fit a small kitchen, a bathroom, king size bed, maybe a tiny banquette nook (love those!) and seating area with a small sofa hide-a-bed. Vintage cottage look of course.

I am probably trying to squeeze in way too much. I have played around on graph paper with how to fit all this into the space, and I'm having a difficult time. It might be impossible.

Should it be one big open space? Or should it have walls separating the bedroom and bathroom from the kitchen and seating area? I was thinking maybe just 3/4 walls for some separation but still keep the open airy feel.

Is anyone up for the challenge? I thought I had more time to work out the design myself, before asking for your thoughts. However, yesterday contractor hubby found out he's got some open time in his schedule so wants me to design this ASAP. He's tearing stuff down as I type. Uuugggghhh!

It's basically a long rectangle with high peaked exposed wood ceiling. Beam running down the middle parallel to the longer sides. Only the outside dimension has to stay. Everything else is wide open.

One of the long sides faces west with a great sunset view and will have a deck off that side. I was thinking a glass sliding door to access the deck and big windows on that side for the view. On the south side, either no windows or only high windows as that side faces our house and want to respect each others privacy.

I am sure I'll have to use apartment size appliances. I would like a small cooktop but no need for an oven. I have a micro drawer that I could put in there.

The entry would be on the east side, the other long wall. Front door can be anywhere on that side.

I'm clueless where to even start. My gut feeling was to enter in the center with the kitchen and seating area on the right and bedroom and bath on the left. But I'm open to any and all suggestion for a good small studio plan. Cyber hugs in advance for any ideas.

Comments (241)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

No the difference is if both are sleeping the doors can stay open if the couple wants. And if the doors are open, it's an unimpeded walk to the bathroom vs having to maneuver around furniture. Yes you can leave an unimpeded path except think of when it's dark, and the persons are not familiar with the house. I know I'd be bumping into things.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"Return to the romance of vintage Hawaii before it became a tourist mecca and was a destination enjoyed by a privileged few."

Amen to that!

• Related Discussions

teeny tiny prep sink next to a wall?

Q

Comments (14)
    I really appreciate the feedback. As we have been working in our kitchen, I have been imagining how useful a second sink would be, and I can really see enormous benefits (it would keep the two of us from bumping into each other as we work, for sure). But I hated to give up any counter space (only 32" on each side of the stove). In spite of losing 10-15" of counterspace, I think I will still be OK with 15" remaining on one side of the stove and the 32" on the other. Plus, the island end (36" wide) will be across from the stove, providing a 3' wide x 24" deep surface for prepping as well. I haven't showed my husband this post yet . . . but I'm now looking at my options for that teeny tiny prep sink! This entire discussion will be helpful (especially all the pictures, so thank you so very very much for taking the time to find and upload those) in explaining why I think we need that prep sink.
    ...See More

Tiny Kitchen Layout Help?

Q

Comments (67)
    A couple more thoughts: If you go with a glass top or induction stove, it can double as counter space quite easily. (Induction *is safer, but I do use my radiant glass top stove as counter quite frequently.) If you go with Beuhl's plan where there is a 12" wide cabinet next to the door to the dining room, you could get a 12" depth x 24" base cabinet and put it in sideways so that opens toward the doorway rather than toward the kitchen. This would let you get a cabinet with doors and shelves, which would be a little less $$ than a drawer base and could be more useful than a 12" wide drawers. It all depends on what you'd want to store there. If it was for trays, it might make more sense to do a drawer on top with tray storage below, opening toward the kitchen. Hope this helps. And I don't blame you a bit for voting for a dishwasher. ; )
    ...See More

Please help with kitchen plan for my tiny vacation rental.

Q

Comments (166)
    BB, I was just thinking of posting an update, so perfect timing. Yes the blasted post is gone baby gone! Here is the bathroom layout that ended up working the best after mocking up several different configuration. I actually will be able to fit up to a 48" vanity. The vanity and toilet bump back into the bedroom wall. Shower opposite with angled wall toward the entry to it. I am loving it! Ecko has already made herself at home on my couch mock up! This view is taken standing at front door. Here is the new bathroom layout. That line in front of vanity and toilet is that header beam above. I'm thinking about a flat ceiling with soft lighting over that area. But on bedroom side, that wall will go straight up to the angled ceiling. TV is going there. Not quite centered to bed, but good enough. Still a lot to do, but we are thrilled with everything. Everyone who sees it wants to move in! Thank you my GW fam! Pretty soon, I will be asking for finishes help!
    ...See More

Time to pick finishes for the HI vacation rental. I would love help.

Q

Comments (49)
    not to throw you a total curve, but the reason the Hawaiians and missionaries used koa, mango, and other exotic woods is because they stand up to the humidity (I'm on Oahu). You see a lot of teak around the island - also used on boats as it does not swell - but its color is lighter - and often more Scandinavian in design. Rattan used a lot and I love the look, but impossible in my mind to keep really clean looking over time as dust and crumbs fall in. Pacific Craftworks on Oahu sells custom cabinets made from mostly darker colored woods in Viet Nam - another tropical place - that should hold up to Hawaii weather (no affiliation) - some looks like mahogany but different wood. We used them in our master bath and the prices weren't bad. The dark woods are traditional but too much can make the room feel heavy. Hawaiian homes were influenced by missionaries from New England, cowboys, Balinese, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Europeans, and plantation owners. So we don't have a purely beach feel - the white rattan look is more East Coast. Tropical is the darker, wider strip, rattan. Here it is all about moss rock, exotic woods, flowers, surfboards, waves, turtles, pineapple, dark sea blues and green foliage mixed with white, cream, and woven mats. If you stick to the white (which will look clean, fresh, and airy) make sure they are quality boxes to hold up to the humidity. For the Hawaii vibe decorate with a few koa or monkeypod (less expensive) chairs, coffee table, or a bowl on your counter, bring in the light and the air and avoid kitsch. Your koa fan will tie into those accents. The one you have chosen is very modern looking and I understand that fewer blades (3 to 4) move more air than 5. Traditionally locals used lots of fans to move the trade winds and homes were designed to pull in the trades. Don't fall for a kitschy fan if it doesn't function well. Suggest any fabrics have local tropical flowers (ginger, heliconia) in large, lush prints. Your inspiration Kauai cottage has beautiful accent pillows that illustrate this - the upholstery is beige but the pillows have heliconia and tropical leaves to bring in color.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

How about getting rid of the table completely and just doing a peninsula? What would be even better if the end could be partly hinged so it could be put down when it's only 2 people but put up when there are 3 or 4 people.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Additionally I've left 4' in front of the vanity. You could make the bathroom a bit smaller so there's 3' in front of the vanity and then you have more room in the living room.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ok here I moved the wall that the futon is on back to give another foot in the living room. Additionally I made the appliances apartment sized. It's all that is really needed. Now if you open the futon, it gives you 28" to walk around. You have 3' in front of the vanity. I think by moving everything mostly away from the windows it does what Jillius was trying to do in having clear view of windows.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My husband actually just asked me about doing a peninsula instead of the table. I was just trying something similar! I like that a lot!

It is nice for a drop zone for groceries. Extra prep space there looking to west view. Someone seated has a view to the east. They can help prep and chat with the cook.

Dining will be on the lanai for most meals, so really eating there would be just in case it was raining which is seldom. It usually rains only at night.

Let me show DH, he is home now and we can walk thru it.

Jillius at first DH was saying we didn't need floor to ceiling glass with three sliders. He's a very strict form follows function kind of guy. But then I showed him those pictures you posted of the furniture in front of the glass and then away from it. So he said, "okay we can do that" Ha!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Oh I agree with Jillius that you NEED those windows. You post a pic of those windows on any vacation site and you'll have them banging down your doors to rent your place.

Did you double check with DH that I had the correct wall at 7'6"? I wasn't completely clear.

Ok time for the gym

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • Jillius
    8 years ago

Ha! I like to think I am also a mainly function person too, but actually, no matter how illogical it is, at base my inner soul doesn't truly believe in compromise. It is SURE that there is always a way to get both beauty and function without sacrificing anything -- it just needs to be more creative. And maybe have more money.

rebunky thanked Jillius
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We just walked thru it. It is working! DH is happy to get rid of the table!

Here are my last (I am not making any promises though) few couple questions before I let the man start banging his hammer....

1) 3 sliders and 1 window verses and 2 sliders and 2 windows.

Here is the view on the north west corner. Sorry no blue sky today. It is pretty 'Voggy' today.

Do we need the third slider behind the pennisula?

If that was just a large 6' window, with the two sliders in the middle, and then another 6' matching window in the bedroom, would that look balanced?

No slider going on the bedroom side since DH is pretty firm he doesn't want the deck that big. Already, I got it at 20' wide so better not push it.

2) tub on lanai

Here's the north west corner view looking toward my house. I plan to landscape that area, so it is very dense and completely blocked for privacy.

However, my question is, since my house is that way, Wouldn't it be better to do the tub on that side? We could do a solid half wall a few feet out to make it feel private on that side. It is closer to the bedroom and bathroom.

The cable rail system would then go from there all the way around to the north side. This way it blocks our house, but doesn't block the view out towards the bay.

Other then those two main questions, do you think we are ready to start the count down? (Notice my reference to your NASA mission launch Jillius? :-)))))

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

The pantry blocking the couch from the kitchen still bugs me. I made the bathroom smaller in both directions and moved the pantry into the kitchen again, so space is also created in front of the couch. I like the idea of a peninsula but I think I would make it round, more like a table, just because I like the looks better but also for more space to play a card or board game.

I'm unsure of dimensions so, hopefully, this doesn't make the bathroom too small.

Oh, have cards and board games for people, too!

rebunky thanked funkycamper
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I would like the hot tub closest to the bathroom/bedroom myself. And, of course, a privacy screen/vegetation so both you and your guests have privacy.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I keep thinking it would be nice to maximize the great room space and minimize the bedroom space. So I drew this--it's really rough. Not sure it it is helpful at all, but I had fun doing it anyway.

We recently stayed at beach front property that had an awesome great room that opened onto a small deck. They used a system like this one to allow the whole door/window space to open up and it made the whole great room feel like it was outside. I drew the front door as a double door or a single with sidelights--I'm thinking lots of glass in the entryway so people get a glimpse of the huge wall of glass and view as they are arriving.

It might be nice to have a small ventless fire place under the tv. And/or a gas fire pit on the deck.

rebunky thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crl,

Thank you for your drawing. Nice! Love the openness. I tried so many times to put the bed facing that way. I think if this place was just a bit wider your plan and so many of these great ideas could have easily worked. Thanks too for starting this whole thread off with a bang and being so helpful with all your advice.

Cp,

You asked about the 7'6" wall.

DH said that you were fine on your plan specs for the 7'6" wall that he needed.

He explained something about needing a point to catch the ridge from the bedroom wall. He said that pantry wall you drew will work.

Apparently, the longest beam he can get here without needing a specialty order glue-lam is 24'. He would need at least a 26' to account for the overhang and without a catch point it is difficult.

I am relaying what I 'think' he said, so don't quote me. :-/

You'd think I would know more about construction after almost 23 years of marriage to a GC. Ha!

So then he was 'going off' for like five minutes teasing me about....

"How easy framing is when you have a pencil and an eraser"

"How do you make a eunuch?Try lifting a 26' foot beam by yourself"

"You want to be married to Mickey Mouse?" So on and so on....

Don't worry we make fun of eachother all the time because if we didn't laugh, we might be like on a few other recent threads where couples and family are really struggling to get along.

Funky,

Did you post a different plan? I'm not seeing it. I saw you had posted one earlier, so I will check it out. Thank you. I agree totally about the TV issue. I will definately have games and music. Maybe I will put a TV on some cart thingy and store it in the closet for the die hard TV fans. :-) I will for sure provide wifi.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Crl I love that wall of doors that fold back and open like that. I love them so much I asked about them for my new build. My wall will be 19' long and I was quoted a price of $20,000-$25,000 for the Nanowall system. Yes you read it right. So I doubt that rebunky and her DH want to spend that much for a door system. :) I know I decided against it, much as I love it.

Funky said: "The pantry blocking the couch from the kitchen still bugs me"

It's not the pantry but the fact that rebunky's husband had asked for that wall there to be 7'6" to act as a support wall. So since the wall needed to be there, I added the pantry to add additional storage.

"Here are my last (I am not making any promises though) few couple questions before I let the man start banging his hammer....

1) 3 sliders and 1 window verses and 2 sliders and 2 windows.

I'm inclined to do the 2 sliders and 2 windows, but my guess is others might disagree. Let me ask a question. Do you need to do windows that are hurricane resistant? If so I believe 2 window's would be less than three doors.

If that was just a large 6' window, with the two sliders in the middle, and then another 6' matching window in the bedroom, would that look balanced?

Yes.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Funky, yes I sort of understood what you were explaining. And I will yield to others on the tub outside. It sounds heavenly wherever you decide. :)

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Oh did you decide to go with the smaller appliances?

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Oh, didn't I post it? D'oh!

Just a few tweaks: smaller bathroom, round peninsula. But I think I missed the issue of that spot needed to "catch the ridge". Whatever that means so this wouldn't work but I was trying to join the couch to the kitchen. Maybe keep the pantry where I have it and build out a wall with a glass insert or a cut-out so there isn't so much separation between couch and kitchen?

Although, I am Fickle Funky because now I'm liking crl_'s plan a lot. Those panoramic doors are amazing. We know someone who has them off her huge family room. They open those doors, have semi-outdoor kitchen right outside the doors, and then it's just a few steps to the pool. Pretty awesome!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cp, Thank you. We were thinkIng the same thing. Unless anyone feels strongly we should do the third, we will probably go with the two.

I think that two sliders in a row is still great. We will have a bigger deck going out, so it won't look quite the same as some of the pictures Jillius posted with full blue ocean from the floor up anyways. But, will still be pretty amazing!

Of course, those folding doors like crl posted are incredible, but like you said way out of my budget. I see those in high end Hawaii homes a lot, but I always wondered about the buggy issue. Stock 6' sliders from lowes with contractor discount will have to do. :-)

You know that 6' window that goes over the pennisula on the north wall? One change is that husband said it would have to be split to two windows instead because of the pennisula being at countertop height. No biggie though, I think it will give the same effect.

Oh and funky thanks you for the new design. I was thinking something happened and it didn't post. So I'm going to look at doing some things you suggest, like the rounded peninsula. I figure many things can be changed in the kitchen as needed. It was the exterior that needed a decision pronto. Thanks!

I wish I could reach across the country and give everyone a humongous hug!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Missed your post about the apartment size appliances. We go thru the appliance sale section at the box stores pretty much every day because of needing appliances for the bank homes we remodel. So I will keep a look out for those small sizes and if find a good deal, I'll jump on it. :-)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Oops, when I drew the peninsula, I meant to say to round those corners and forgot. Glad you guys thought of it. Ok off to bed for me.

I think the two windows on the north wall will be fine.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funky,

I'm loving your idea to have the one wall next to the couch be more open to the kitchen side.

I got this cute new app where I can draw on a picture so I'm playing. :-)

I hope my little line drawing on your plan will explain what DH needs for the ridge beam. One section of beam (red line) will go from the bedroom wall over to the support post out at the 7'6" point.

Then a second beam (green) butts to it and continues to the end of the house overhang.

The blue section is the open shelf idea I was picturing from your description.

Do you think something like these pictures would work to make it feel more open and connected to kitchen side?

Open shelves above a shallow cabinet? Cabinet opening on kitchen side. Couch would slide over to that section and it could serve as a side table to set a drink down or whatever?

Or maybe have just all open shelves? It could be different configurations for decorative item, bowls, or other nick nacs? Not cluttered up or anything. Kept simple and open? DH said he could do it. What do you think?

He also has a plan for the window wall and sliders. He wants to do something like this, so the doors open from the center. Then two bigger windows on each side. I like that. What do you think?

I hope I have a little bit more walking space then this couch has to the glass. Any guesses on how far it looks here? Of course, it would look better with more space. I'm afraid mine might look similar. Is it still okay if it did look like this?

As far as the deck. We will probably center it to the double slider. Then I'll have space more toward the bedroom side for if I do the soaking tub tucked over there.

I will make sure it will be hidden and not be in front of the glass sliders. I may still put it like Jillius showed. I'll figure that out later.

Sorry this post is so long! I mainly was hoping to get any final thoughts about the built in open shelf wall idea and if it would be worth shortening the bathroom to do the shallow pantry?

Then hopefully I will leave you all alone for a while! Sheesh! I'm annoying myself even, so I do apologize. I am sure you all are 'so over' this thread already! :-)

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Your color coded drawing is helpful for envisioning the beams. Are you still considering doing any sort of small loft? If so, it could go over the bathroom and bedroom area, and the couch could kind of tuck under the lowered loft ceiling area too. Then a ladder could go to the loft area from the kitchen side. Sort of like one of these google images here. Some even have storage incorporated into them. People are so clever.

rebunky thanked laughablemoments
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, laughable, wouldn't this one be cool?

Eta: I will ask DH about this. Great idea, thanks.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Those open shelves are just what I was thinking. They could have storage on the bottom or just be open. Either way. I think it's a good compromise to have the couch back farther so there's more room to walk around in front but still provide the support system your DH needs. And would allow folks at the couch to more easily talk with people at the peninsula.

I think a center door with windows on each side would be just fine. It looks nice and will still give you the open visuals Jillius suggested. I think taking the windows down that wall and around the corner is what is needed to really sell the view. But if you can't, just do the more, the bigger, the better. You want your marketing photos to really pop online.

I think it's OK if the couch is as close to the slider as in the photo. If I was staying there, I'd probably have the door open all the time anyway. Heck, I do that here and our breezes aren't near as warm.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much funky. And I will definatly push for doing the glass to the floor. One thought I had was adding a couple jalousie louvre transom windows underneath the two side window. It would allow extra airflow and extra glass.They use them here a lot for the airflow. Mostly on the top of a window, but my friend had ones on the bottom, and it looked really nice. Picture the small low windows having the slats. I could also have the above.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice.

• Jennifer Weinman
    8 years ago

I love love LOVE this whole thread, and can't wait to see the final finished retreat!

rebunky thanked Jennifer Weinman
  • SD
    8 years ago

Hi - I've enjoyed reading the posts. I am lurker for sure. But I just had one suggestion. If you move the W/D into the pantry. You have flexibility on the bed placement. i would turn the bed around and have it on the wall where the closet and wd are now, so there is less of a privacy issue. The bed is partially hidden and if left unmade or someone is resting they will feel protected - for better feng shui. I will be a little tight for walking space but adequate. Draws for clothing storage could be under the picture window. Regards

rebunky thanked SD
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

If bugs are a problem those slat windows can let them in even when closed. We just got rid of one in our ongoing kitchen/bathroom remodel and my five year old is super excited to have a regular window that will keep out the bugs at night (bugs are drawn to the light on in the bathroom at night).

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

How does one operate the jalousie windows so far up? Is that what the rope is for?

I would only use them if you can put them somewhere that doesn't cut up the view.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Jennifer!

Meme2, I have tried to place the bed going in that direction too, but I was having trouble with if it would feel okay with only a couple feet (if that) on each side of the bed. I'm also really wanting that bedroom window to be to the floor like the rest. So then probably wouldn't want to put the dresser there. We need the closet space for sure, and I don't know where else I could fit one or the w/d. I'm thinking of doing like in Funkycamper's last plan where the pantry moves to the kitchen/bathroom wall, but is only a 1' deep pantry. So w/d cannot fit there. Then I could do the open shelf wall next to couch. I like your idea, but let me think on it. Thank you, and please don't be just a lurker anymore, join in with all the fun!

Crl, the ones I was thinking do have screens on them. We have them and No problem with the bugs. The do fly in when we open the regular doors though. Killed a huge cockroach the other night. Eeeewwww! :-)

Funky, agree to not break up the view. They would be clear glass slats. You can see right thru them when open or closed. Like this.

Oh boy, I cannot wait to see DH face when I show him my latest wish list! He's been pretty cooperative so far, but I'm waiting for "Thats beautiful Hun, but we are not the Four Seasons!" But I will calmly reply, "Just keep in mind that this cottage is so that you can semi-retire from construction work and just be a farmer. So the nicer we make it, the less you have to work!" Bam!

Here's a sketch I played with of what that west window wall could look like. What do you think? This would be if looking back at the house from standing on the lanai. Idk, I put the jalousie window on top and bottom. My thought was so that I could do the full picture window in the middle and still have the airflow. Or I could have them slide open as well, but would look so nice with no middle line across for the sliding part.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I love the idea of the open shelves and think the pantry could work well too. that would help solve the issue that funky was concerned about.

Definitely do the floor to ceiling windows with jalousies at top. I say at top because remember heat rises and cool air drops, so it would be like natural ac because the cool air at top coming in would drop and circulate around.

Also love the sliders that open from the middle. I had wanted those in my living room, but I had a choice of pocket sliders so when open I didn't see them at all or the ones that opened from the middle. I couldn't do both.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • llucy
    8 years ago

I've had jalousie windows in FL homes. At one time I was locked out and able to get into my house by simply sliding out a few of those slats and climbing through. Mind you, this was an older house. I don't know what security features modern jalousies might have.

Just sharing because if your guests forgot to close the jalousies when they were gone, you wouldn't want a problem do to "opportunity".

rebunky thanked llucy
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. So talked to DH and he said no on the jalousies!

Yes lLucy good catch. Yes, we had the old ones in a rental house and a couple teens broke in. The newer ones are more secure. Nixed them already, so not an issue. :-)

Either we can do full six foot high picture windows, so all the tops line up to sliders, all three feet wide on the west side. That way with the 12' slider they will all look 3'.

The slider would now be the main airflow. Then maybe do the one above the pennisula and above sink an awning style, so no cross bar.

This will give the pure view, no screens to look through. All glass, it is that wow look!

I will have plenty overhead fans. Also I keep forgetting to draw in the two high 3' windows above the bed centered to ridge. They can open too.

I think it should be fine for cross ventilation. And one thing husband said was now if they want an air conditioner it is all airtight. With the jalousies it's not.

Sound good everyone? He's starting to pound nails! Yea! This is exciting!

Gotta run but I will keep ya posted.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Very exciting! Good luck and I look forward to the reveal.

• llucy
    8 years ago

I've very much enjoyed this thread Rebunky. It has given me so much to think about for the cottage I hope to have one day. Continue to share your progress as much as you'd like. :)

rebunky thanked llucy
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Rebunky I thought of you as I was looking at pics here on houzz because of the windows and the slider that opens from the middle.

New Home: Orleans Waterfront · More Info

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I've been checking in to watch the progress on the plans, too, but I'm having a hard time keeping up with you all! The pics of the wall of glass have converted me--what a stunning place you will have. As everyone above, I'm looking forward to the reveal!

rebunky thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have some framing people. I was gone only a few hours and this is what happened.

Ignore the small shed in the left corner, that will go. Woohoo!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a shot of that west wall before. Only thing living there was termites!

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Ha, I leave for a day, and there is already a wall built! Looks great, though! Not blocking aaaaaany of the view!

rebunky thanked Jillius
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

I would have squealed with delight to come home to that first wall up! Yay!!! Go Mr. Rebunky, go! : ) I just came across another adorable teeny tiny cottage. Here it is in case it has any other ideas for gleaning.

rebunky thanked laughablemoments
  • lmgch
    8 years ago

nothing to add, other than that i wish i lived in Hawaii!! awesome suggestions already provided. can't wait to see the finished product :)

rebunky thanked lmgch
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jillius, I made the Saturday afternoon "deadline" he wanted. I didn't think I would. But, thanks to you and everyone's incredibly generous help, WE did it! I'm thrilled with the plan!

I read through the thread again just now. It is completely blowing my mind to see how the design evolved and changed over the course of a week into what we have now. Everyone played an important part with all their input.

I will be forever grateful to all of you. It might take a few years to have it all up and running, but I will keep you all posted on the progress. I will start a new thread whenever he gets the walls and roof on.

Laughable, I'm am dead serious, just last night my husband said, "You are going to have to start calling me 'Mr. Rebunky' on your GW." Hysterical you said that.

Imgch, thanks. I love your reveal! I'm going to go look at all your eye candy again right now.

Aloha!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One more comment haha!

Jillius, as I was re-reading thru, I had to laugh at this photo. I was only focused at the gorgeous windows and couch facing.

What's wrong with this picture? Notice the cooktop about to set someone's hair on fire? LOLOLO!

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

Ouch!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well at least they can just open the glass doors, and dive off what almost looks like the roof overhang (it looks slanted to me) plunging into the deep blue sea to put out the flames! :-)))

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Ha, oh yes, even if there were no cooktop, I can't imagine having the couch against an island being a good plan. At the very least, you'd be squirted with lemon or batter or something.

Although, maybe then you'd smell extra delicious?

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Oh my god. Inspired by this thread, I just googled "disguising support column":

Hahahahaha. Ahem. So, I think you should consider this instead of the bookcase. Really sets the Hawaiian vacation mood, don't you think?

rebunky thanked Jillius
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hahaha Jillius! That is the perfect solution!

I just showed your picture and read the post out loud to Mr. Rebunky. I accidently read it "disgusting" instead of "disguising" so it came out that you googled "disgusting support column". LOL. Maybe you typed it wrong too? :-))))

Thanks for the laughs and for losing sleep and neglecting invoices just to help a perfect stranger. You are amazing. I owe you big time girl!

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Ha, no problem! (Although to be fair, there is very little on this earth I wouldn't neglect invoices for.)

Mr. Rebunky sounds like a hoot.

rebunky thanked Jillius