SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_funk

Didn't plan to spend half the day in urgent care and hospital.

lily316
3 years ago

So I talk on here about how I hike four miles a day on the Appalachian trail with one of my dogs. I used to do it every Saturday but when covid hit and my gym closed 14 months ago, we began going every day. All was fine until today. I have weathered 95-degree heat and humidity, countless storms, snow and ice but today did me in. I was a mile and a half from the car when I came upon a downed tree over the trail. This happens and I usually carefully go off the trail around it. I was stepping over the branch when my lower right leg hit a long splintery piece of wood. I am old and suntanned most of my life and I have very thin skin. This ripped a giant hole in my leg and I had to walk a mile and a half back to the car. My brand new Nikes were filled with blood. Two nice young men separately offered to help but they couldn't do anything. So we went home and husband took me to Urgent care where everyone and his brother were. Finally, they saw me and announced they could not stitch me because my skin was too thin and sent me to the hospital. I went home and ate and my daughter took me to the hospital where we sat for another three hours. Heart attacks, appendicitis...all came in. The nurse practitioner put steri strips on the gaping wound which was grossing everyone out. She gave me a tetanus shot and an RX for an antibiotic ..4 a day for 7 days. I need to go see my regular doctor but can resume hiking and other activities except not to get the leg wet which will be so difficult since I take baths. Any suggestions? Wrap in plastic and keep it elevated above the water is all I can think of. I hope it doesn't get infected. I appreciated my daughter who is not a night owl staying with me till way after midnight. With her father's upcoming heart valve replacement, she is playing nurse for the old people.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville