More 'Entitled' People in the Air?

chisue

Heard on the radio today: US airlines have reported 1300 disruptive passengers to the feds just since February. Normally, it's a couple hundred a year. Passengers can be fined up to $35K. About 260 of those reported have been referred for charges.

Me! ME!! Meeeee!!!! Cult of the Special People.

SaveComment19Like2
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-178658043

Anti-maskers?

3 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I haven't been on a commercial airplane in 15 years and don't miss it a bit. My last several flights were on my company's leased jet.

Save    
Lucille

I don't fly any more, but remember past flights. Most passengers were courteous. Babies crying were mostly met with patience and calm. I just can't imagine the loud nasty scenes I hear described, where passengers not only have tantrums but apple to think that no rules apply to them and that airline staff are there as their personal servants.

I feel sorry for the staff and for all the reasonable passengers whose flights are disrupted.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Oh, the anti-maskers are in another whole group. The 1300 are evidently worse -- at least the 260 already investigated and facing charges.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Good grief! This pandemic has really brought the worst in some people, hasn't it?

Thank goodness it's also brought out the best in a far more others.

It kind of makes sense though, when you think about it. Who'd insist on flying during a pandemic if it wasn't absolutely necessary?

1 Like Save    
Chi

I hope the airlines start requiring proof of vaccination for people to fly. I think that will be the key to getting a lot of hesitant people vaccinated.

3 Likes Save    
nicole___

When I moved into THIS neighborhood....100% are asking ME and my husband for FREE work to be done on their homes. At the last house, only 2. That's NERVE! Entitled is just a sub-group of problems these people have. haha DH & I have always heard THIS generation of children were the most coddled EVER ...in history.

3 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

The latest one that I read about was a female passenger on a flight was upset that the trash hadn't been picked up and ended up attacking two flight attendants.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/woman-accused-of-fighting-with-attendants-on-nyc-flight-for-not-picking-up-her-garbage/3033425/

Booze? Stimulus checks?

Save    
Michele

Chances are that people who are flying right now by choice are bolder in nature than the general population. Every single person I know is pretty reluctant. I think that may have a little something to do with it.

2 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

I flew for vacation last year & am flying this summer, no problem. My flights ( and I used to fly frequently for business) have been uneventful.

Maybe all these isolated people have lost their social skills and don't know how to interact with others now.

Save    
Michele

Maybe some people never had social skills.

7 Likes Save    
Lars

I think another factor is which airports you are using.

Save    
ci_lantro

I was on twelve flights last year and four flights so far this year. All non-eventful, thank goodness.

Save    
bpath

Maybe all the ”good flyers” are on private air services.

Save    
arcy_gw

HU-178658043 or fully vaccinated people who follow the science and want to urge the rest of the world to follow suit!!

Save    
Raye Smith

Lars - I think that location is part of the equation. I've always had at least one portion of my flight through a southern airport. Although I've never had any issue on a plane I have experienced rudeness in an airport.

It was in Chicago, I wasn't walking as fast as the people behind me wanted me to on the moving sidewalk (and I was on the walking optional side of the belt). So a person behind me but their hand in the middle of my back and shoved me down as hard as they could, then stepped over me. Not one person helped me get back up but I figured that was typical behavior for that area of the country.

Save    
Michele

Some people seem to make a deliberate effort to be abrasive.

Save    
sleeperblues

I'm a Chicagoan by birth, and I can tell you that's not typical behavior. You were assaulted, and you should have had that person arrested.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

The entitlement element aboard airplanes is similar to what I'm hearing from residents regarding pandemic-ignoring visitors to Maui. A contingent of 'special people' have been flocking to the islands. Airport officials detaining more arriving passengers, fining/jailing/quarantining them, and sometimes returning them to the mainland because they ignored the mandates requiring Covid testing.

Years ago I complained when parents expected teachers to raise their kids. Now it's some flight attendent's job to police adults? Do we need more air marshalls? (Especially on 'vacation' flights?) Some people think a little money entitles them to do whatever they want, with no sense of 'the public weal'. Anti-vaxers and anti-maskers are similar in not understanding that they are not somehow not part of 'the public'.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Perfect Houseplant for People Who Kill Houseplants
If you can fill a jar with water, you can keep golden pothos vine happy — and it will pay you back with cleaner air and a greener home
Full Story
Great Home Projects Power to the People: Outlets Right Where You Want Them
No more crawling and craning. With outlets in furniture, drawers and cabinets, access to power has never been easier
Full Story
Glass 5 Ways People Are Going Bolder With Glass
Higher-performing panes and a desire for light-flooded contemporary spaces are bringing glass to more areas of the home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Our creative project designs and detailed costing budgets, listing many alternatives and options, allow each... Read More