SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gateway29_gw

Entitled to invoices? Fill discrepancy.

gateway29
14 years ago

What am I entitled to see as the customer re invoices and expenses during new construction, and is it really as inflammatory/accusatory as I think to request?

I see there are various types of contracts, I don't know exact term for mine ... all costs were paid up front and we have allowances in contract for baths, lighting and fill. Change orders are paid (eventually) cash and my GC/owner quotes them on spot and they change often.

The issue prompting my question is over the amount and total cost of fill we are told has been delivered. (We built house higher b/c of flood zone, 1/2 acre lot, 31x42 plus 20x22 garage.) Got email last month that they exceeded their 3k, we were 2k out of pocket too, did we want more (more was required). He suggested I could sell topsoil, I never said yes or no. Had 3 more loads delivered meantime, told balance $2600 (total 5600).

Last week, GC mentioned having sold my topsoil w/neighbors - which I never approved BTW - told credit was 2k. GC thought he included that in emails. No, I didn't see that reflected in corresondance and I should owe 600 b/c of this credit, although I'm getting emails of 2600. Left GC message early this wk asking please for invoices as we are confused, and we have not heard back (he only acknowledged he rec'd call).

So, this means they have spent $7600 on fill, most on side house to build driveway outside of garage, some front house but that slopes ... I honestly don't see much difference elsewhere and still need much more in back. That amount means thirty-eight 18-yd loads? I don't see it.

Please help me to know my rights re invoices and verify this amount of fill and price is reasonable/unreasonable. Am I entitled to choose another landscaping company while they are still buidling?

Thank you

Comments (5)