SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agee_atl

Questions About My Three Echinacea Plants Plus One Other Plant

1. I am not sure what's going on here. This echinacea / conefower was seeded last year and is / was set to bloom this year. The area got mowed and the plant disappeared for a while and this is the new growth. I know it was a single plant last year but this looks like multiple plants, my guess is that the mowing broke up the single plant into multiple plants. I consider getting multiple plants a good thing but I suspect that I will not get blooms this year. What I am thinking about doing is digging up the plants and ,moving them to other places in my yard, donate to my community garden and/or offer up in a plant swap. If I find a big clump, is there a good chance that it will bloom this year? If I am trying to get blooms, should I leave the big clump in that spot or can I move it?

Here are pictures, I tried to get images where you can see what is going on at ground level.

2. This was seeded in 2018 and bloomed in 2019 and 2020. My original question was can I / should I divide this plant, but if I get confirmation regarding scenario 1 above, I am inclined to leave it there. I know the plant can be divided in the fall, I am in Georgia, does it need to be divided well before the frost? Knowing me, I am not going to want to do anything too disruptive if the plant is still blooming. All that to say, if I divide it in late fall, and we get a frost, will that kill the plant. I am in Georgia and it is very unlikely that we will get a hard frost that lasts more than a couple of days until January.

3. Same question as 2 above, except this plant was seeded in 2019 and bloomed in 2020.

4. This is a plant in a common area at my community garden. I think that it is in the rudbekia or echinacea family. I want to relocate it. Are there any concerns other than extra watering until it gets established in its new location? I am going to the garden today and will try and post a better picture later.

Comments (6)