SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txgrdngal

water lily/plant shelf/other plant questions

backyardmama
15 years ago

I have posted 2 questions recently regarding the redo of my small pond. I have just about decided to go ahead with the 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank because of the rigid sides. Perhaps my first liner was not stong enough to prevent the sandy soil from 'caving in'or standing up to raccoon attacks. I have also found it difficult to smooth a liner in a small pond.

My new question involves the lack of built in plant shelves. I think I read about plant hangers that could hold plants up around the rim of the tank, but I want to put the water lilies in the center more toward the end away from the waterfall. What is the optimum height for them? I assume I will need to set the pot on something since the tank is 25" deep. How about pickerel rush. I love that stuff. Will it need to sit on something or would it do better in a small preformed bog garden outside the pond?

Any other suggestions?

My new pond will have a small deck on one or both sides of the pond. Are there any plants that might grow in the shade of the deck?

I am torn between looking forward to making some very necessary changes to the pond and tearing up what was a very beautiful little pond its first full summer.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Sherry

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus