Books that got almost 5 stars and look interesting ....
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Almost finished writing my book
Comments (8)Back when I was doing my radio show I was really bummed out when George Harrison died and it got me thinking about other artists who had passed away. My book is about the artists who passed away within 50 years. I began with Buddy Holly (1959) and ended with Dickie Peterson (2009). I have 325 names in my book which includes who they were, when they were born, date they died, how they died, their age, and what they were famous for. An example is: Buddy Holly - Born: Charles Hardin Holley September 7, 1936 in Lubbock, Texas. Died at the age of 23, February 3, 1959 in a plane crash near Clear Lake, IA. Also killed were Richie Valens and JP Richardson (The Big Bopper). Buddy Holly recorded, "That'll Be The Day" and "Peggy Sue" SamKaren your resident DJ...See MoreCraft/sewing books for almost 12 yo girl
Comments (17)Hi Sue -I'm so excited about your daughter! I was a lot like that as a kid, and it has remained a lifelong interest of mine. I had a couple of additional thoughts. There are lots of hip sewing blogs today, and many of them have projects all the time. I've linked to one I like, and from there, she can link to many more. Modernseamster.com is another good starting point. Another thought I had is to wonder if she might want to participate in an organization I have been working with for awhile. It's called Dress-a-Girl-Around-the-World. There are chapters all over the country, though there doesn't have to be one there locally for her to join in the fun. We make very simple "pillowcase" dresses for girls all over the world. The organization works on the premise of people donating supplies, so it wouldn't be money out of her pocket. Just her time and talents. My daughter has made many, and received an email photo showing a little girl wearing the very first dress my daughter made. Here's a link to get her started if she is interested: http://www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.com...See MoreAlmost in a fight on Face Book!
Comments (26)Can't agree with you on this at all. Frankly you went off the deep end over something YOU made up. You took something and changed the clearly stated opinion. (According to the OP) the other person said: ...'not to be a jerk, older people like your mom may not be so proficient on a computer and not be able to do it'. (Emphasis added.) OP responded: ...I was very proficient in my life, thank you very much!!!! (Emphasis added). The person suggested the possibility that you weren't proficient on computers, and you modified her statement to say you weren't proficient in life. There's a huge difference there, it's NOT what she said and getting upset about it? No you shouldn't. In fact, it could easily be said you owe her(/him?) an apology IMO. (I've had this happen here before so I understand the other side. I shared an experience and someone went off the deep end and claimed I said something that clearly wasn't said. That's wrong and people who do that are out of line.) I also have to agree with the comments about the "not to be a jerk" disclaimer and the definition of proficient. I don't see negativity toward the OP in the thread. Simple discussion. Some facts, some opinions. Do you interpret everyone who disagrees with your opinion to be "negative"? I hope not. Elementary age kids often think 20 is "old". People who are 90 often think they're not "old". For statistical and public administrative purposes, however, old age is frequently defined as 60 or 65 years of age or older. AFAIC "elderly" in an innocuous term. Defined as "of, relating to, or characteristic of older persons or life in later years." How can that be negative? It's fact. More hysteria over simple, innocent terms. Too many people want to be insulted these days (and this certainly isn't intended toward the OP, as it's simply an observation in general). I see it this way: People who get upset over simple little innocent things must have a lot of great things going going on in their lives if something petty sets them off. But in reality, we all have our quirks. We all have pet peeves. Only the person his/herself can deal with that. But there is a responsibility to not attack the innocent. Perhaps those who don't feel they're old, elderly, mature, senior or any number of other innocuous terms should forfeit their "senior discount", or "old age benefits"? Clearly, offering someone a discount, advantage, income, supplement, etc, merely because of age must be insulting to some people, right? But I'd doubt it'll happen! :)...See MoreWho got decorating books for Christmas?
Comments (6)My b-day is just before Christmas, so I was lucky enough to get two gift certificates from different family members from a large book store. I went during the Boxing week sales and all hard covers were 50% off, so I got a few, here they are: 1. "Hers: Design with a Feminine Touch." (Jacqueline deMontravel) Actually my mother bought this one for me, I likely wouldn't have choses it myself. But it is interesting, here is a little more on the book: "Design your own beautiful sanctuary in any space, with unabashedly feminine style." 2. "Hand Made Home: Living with Art and Craft." (Mark & Sally Bailey) "Living with paintings, sculptures, ceramics and textiles - almost anything made by hand, in fact - will give your home a distinct personality and originality that is welcome in this age of mass production and stores full of products that are exactly the same wherever you may be." Great book. 3: "Metropolitan Home Design 100: The Last Word on Modern Interiors." (Michael Lassell) You get the idea. 4. "Scandinavian Design." (Lars Bolander & Heather Smith MacIsaac) "A ... tour of the best of Scandinavian Design." 5. "Interiors: The Home Since 1700." (Steven Parissien) This is more of a history or design school course book with many illustrations. Very informative and interesting. 6. "Salvage-Style Projects: 22 Ideas for turning old house parts into treasures for your home." (Amy Hughes). From "This Old House."...See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Kids' Book Storage You've Got to Check Out
Keep little readers interested and books organized with 18 appealing ways to house all their favorite reads
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSBefore and After: Master Bathroom Gains a 5-Star Hotel Feel
Carefully edited materials and a strategic layout give this master bathroom the look and vibe of a resort retreat
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Family of 5 Lives (Almost) Clutter Free
Smart decor decisions and multipurpose items help this San Francisco family keep things tidy
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESGot a Problem? 5 Design Trends That Could Help
These popular looks can help you hide your TV, find a fresh tile style and more
Full Story

LANDSCAPE DESIGN5 Berry-licious Shrubs to Plant Now for Winter Interest
Showy color during snow season? You bet. These shrubs will wake up a garden with colorful berries when other plants are asleep
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNNew This Week: 5 Ways to Make a 5-by-8-Foot Bathroom Look Bigger
See how designers use tile and other elements to make a tight layout feel more spacious and stylish
Full Story
BATHROOM WORKBOOK5 Ways With a 5-by-8-Foot Bathroom
Look to these bathroom makeovers to learn about budgets, special features, splurges, bargains and more
Full Story
MOST POPULAR5 Remodels That Make Good Resale Value Sense — and 5 That Don’t
Find out which projects offer the best return on your investment dollars
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES5 Decor Trends to Try — and 5 to Rethink
Some style trends are worth jumping onboard. Others you may want to let fade from your memory
Full Story


yoyobon_gwOriginal Author