SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

I got to test drive a BlueStar 48" Platinum range this week

laughablemoments
9 years ago

I got to test drive a 48" Bluestar Platinum range this week. I was so excited to be able to do this! It was a special date with my sweet husband. We took along a laundry basket full of supplies. Lots of freshly made cookie dough, a dozen eggs, chocolate chips to try melting on the simmer burner, my giant 15" Lodge cast iron skillet, a bag of yummy stir fry mix, a 13" x 18" aluminum cake pan to see how it fit in the little oven (it did fit!), and ziplock bags to bring all the food home in. ; )

Hummm. I was wanting so much to LOVE this range, but it just didn't happen. Here is my assessment, which I just shared in the kitchen forum as well, under my thread asking about baking in a BlueStar. I've fleshed out a few more details here upon re-reading what I wrote, though.

+
-Oven heated fairly quickly
-Cooking on the burners was an awesome experience. Wonderful, really. They gave off more heat than I'm used to standing over. ; )
-The way that the grates can be quarter turned to raise and lower your pans over the flame is ingenious. Loved this feature.
-Wok cooking was incredible. (Too bad the wok that the showroom provided for the test drive was a scratched up teflon coated nonstick pan. Ick.)
-I was impressed with how some of the burners could be swapped out for a grill and griddle. How cool is that!
-The griddle did a nice job on the eggs that I fried on it. I figured they would tell me right away if the cooking was uneven. The griddle performed well. It was pretty even in temperature across the surface. (But there is a negative side to this one; see below.)
-The simmer burner melted the chocolate flawlessly. The chocolate chips turned into a gorgeous, mushy, shiny brown puddle of yumminess in the pan and stayed that way.
-My 15" skillet heated up beautifully on a burner. Oh man, I was so excited to see how well it did. It shone! I think I made the BEST fried eggs ever on that puppy that day (my dd had freshly re-seasoned it a few days earlier. Wow. Even the salesman was impressed.) I haven't been able to use this big boy since we started cooking with electric six years ago.
-I didn't find the doors to be intolerably hot. I wouldn't have hesitated to use this in a house with young children. (However, I was also ok with having a wood stove in our home without a barricade with our young children playing nearby, so YMMV.)

Now, the downsides. Sigh.

-
-Oven was VERY uneven for baking. Believe me, I tried to make it work. I did multiple batches of cookies (about 12 dozen of my favorite fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies.) I rotated pans. I turned the oven down, thinking maybe we had accidentally set it too hot. I tried pulling the cookies out earlier. I tried baking the cookies on different racks. I used the convection. Then, I think I even tried it with without convection in case too much air was blowing around with it on. I tried the small oven. Not one batch had the quality or evenness that I was looking for. : ( This was a HUGE disappointment to me. No matter what we did, there were problems. Some were burnt, some were raw in the middle while dry and dark on the outside, or they were darker on the bottoms, etc. In contrast, my Maytag Gemini, which I think only does mediocre in the baking department, gives me better baking results than this unit that costs nearly 10k.

I wish I had taken my standard Air Bake sheets with me. The full size stainless steel sheet pans that the showroom provided had a lip on them that the salesman said might have been affecting performance. (?) (If I was him trying to sell these stoves, I'd invest in some pans that wouldn't potentially hinder baking results!)
-While I liked how the griddle cooked, I did not like the design of it. I suppose it was necessary, but the rectangular shaped vent hole (and also the hole that grease would drain through) was in the front right corner of the griddle. Burning hot air gushed through this hole while cooking. I'm right handed, and several times when I reached across it to flip the eggs, I was concerned that I might get burned. I didn't, but it was very uncomfortable to work over that spot. Lefties might not have the same problem, at least, not until they tried to use the ridged side of the griddle. Rotating the griddle would not help any, since there is a vent hole in the opposite corner that lands in the exact same place when rotated.
-I could smell gas while using the appliance. Not enough to make me gag, but it was certainly noticeable to this pregnant mama's nose. The sales associate said this comes with the territory with this type of stove. (?)
-The oven racks did not glide easily at all. They grated, and we really had to tug to get them out and reposition them. I've since read that the way that the Platinum heats the back of the oven can cause the racks to warp. Yikes.

I came away from the whole deal rather disenchanted. Like I said, I really wanted to adore the range. If I had, my precious DH would have gotten us one. But he wants me to LOVE it. I. just. couldn't. love. it. I almost could have cried. It was a bit of a bitter disappointment. I am VERY thankful we got to try it out and experience the shortcomings without being invested in it in our own kitchen.

I'm hopeful that BlueStar will continue to improve the oven performance. At this point, I just can't buy one since it will not work the way I need it to without a lot of extra fiddling, fuss, and frustration. If they can get the ovens to perform as well as the rangetop, they will have a clear winner.

I don't want to totally discount the man who worked with us either. He did a great job of being real, personable, friendly, and was extremely patient for the 2 hours we were there trying everything out and asking lots of questions.

Oh, and as an aside, we stopped at my dad's house on the way home and he offered that we try our 15" skillet on his 14 year old basic Kenmore gas range. While it didn't cook q u i t e as nicely as on the BlueStar, it definitely gave good enough results that I'd use it regularly on there if the stove was mine.

This post was edited by laughable on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 20:33

Comments (30)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Many of us, who have been around for a long time, have been reading about various BS problems for about 10 years now. Then the boosters come in and we read about the issues have been fixed and how evil and inferior sealed burners are. Then you read about issues like lavamama's who doesn't even have an oven.

Sigh. It is sad to see that purchase of an expensive range can be such a complete crap shoot quality wise. Or that the tops should perform if they can get the parts right while the ovens leave much to be desired.

I could see the enthusiasts (or the lucky ones who don't get lemons) reel you in on the BS. And it's refreshing to see an honest, straightfoward assessment by someone who knows what she wants from a range.

Hope you will move forward and test-drive others and share your experience. It would be fascinating to see, f.ex. how a Lacanche experience chalked up against this one.

And no one has test-driven the new Miele range yet. I have been so happy with my wall oven I am looking forward to a report on what they've done with the ovens in their new range.

Happy hunting!

• Related Discussions

Blue Star Platinum 36" -- has anyone seen or ordered?

Q

Comments (7)
    Looking at the raised grill in the center of the Platinum 36, I'm wondering if one of the biggest advantages of my standard Bluestar range top - removing the grate and dropping the 16" wok perfectly inside, still works out? It looks like the removable grill, a feature I would consider upgrading for, might get in the way of a wok or even a wide fry pan. Looking forward to hands-on reviews. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Am I Crazy?!? BlueStar RNB over Platinum?!?

Q

Comments (18)
    Ktlri, Thanks for the follow-up as although the build is done, I haven't fully furnished the residence yet and had my professional shots done for our records and the community here. I'll admit - I had to go back over the thread and re-read to give the proper feedback but for the main range I ended up with a Zephyr 48" Monsoon II and a curvaball that I didn't even find out about until after this thread had already run it's course...I went with the Capital Connoisseurian 48" Dual-Fuel w/ 8 (Open) Burner configuration and I must say I absolutely LOVE IT. The fit and finish is as good as if not better than all of the BlueStars I saw in person (I visited about 6 different ones in 3 different stores during the process) and I've been estatic about the oven capacity and having an electric oven instead of gas for our baking purposes, etc. The electric rotisserie, electronic food probe and the kicker was the Wok insert (all of which I've used and very happy with the performance). It does take a while to get used to having this many powerful burners (all 25K minus the simmer burner) but it is a huge time saver for me as my wife and I both "prep" our food for the week on Sunday nights and with 2 cooks in the kitchen we can do multiple large quantities of food at once. Here's a couple cell phone pics and thanks for asking. One of these days once we finish with the interior designers and the furniture finally arrives (We're talking 12-16 week delivery times for most pieces - what the heck?!?) we'll get some legit shots done for everyone. Thanks! PS - Sorry for the dim light on the 2nd pic as the Monsoon II isn't installed/turned on - we're still waiting to pass the final building permit tomorrow before installing the Zephyr as we already have 2 makeup airs installed to run the furnaces and the code was going to require an addition 2 (4 total) so we are working our way around that idiotic code.
    ...See More

Hated my BlueStar RCS range for 2 years, had it tuned, now I love it!

Q

Comments (21)
    Big box and discount stores often have a different number. Sometimes there are slight differences in the model, others it's just an identifier that you got it at Costco. Maybe do a shout out to Trevor or Jakvis who might know how to unpack the model numbers? From looking at the listings I've been able to figure out that the "30" is for a nominally thirty inch wide range. The 4B seems to be for four burner. (The 36" one is 6B.) I think the V2 is for the height of the back--vertical level two. (edit: Correction from John_Williams50--V2 is for Version 2) "SS" on other appliances is often "stainless steel", but I don't know if that's so for BS. If so, "C" near the end would be for "color".
    ...See More

Rangetops: 48” BlueStar Platinum or Capital Culinarian (again)

Q

Comments (10)
    Viking: Don't know if it's been changed. Was not hot enough for a good sear and was uneven. But, have never been a Viking fan. Wolf: An IR beast and very hot. Great for searing and flavor. Often used it for sear and then a fast oven finish. Did not use sous vide back then but would be good for finishing. Needs to be disassembled to be cleaned (the surrounding frame pops out, clean it in sink with BFK and SS scrubbie). A task but not a chore. Never stopped me from using it. Spouse claims still was the best tasting grill we've had and that's a long list. Some posters insist on posting that the temp can't be modified which is false (and misleading--clearly they've never used one). Mine came with a SS "blankoff plate that covers about 70% of the IR honeycomb radiator to reduce the radiant heat--will still grill very well with it on which gives an idea of how hot it is. We got a second one, cut it into 2 different sized pieces and had a modified two temp grill (albeit for relatively small size portions). For most cooking we just ran it without the plates which we referred to as "torch." Fish and meats that would have a 125F or so pull temp and rested are the sweet spot. For what we cook the grill was my favorite part of the whole range. One the caveat: once the grill is on it has to cool before you can switch the plate. Capital: Don't use the grill that much as our climate promotes outside grilling and sous vide and some related approaches have reduced grilling use. The Capital is the most flexible of all I've used: heat is adjustable, grates flip with a grease draining, small width grate for steaks and the like and on the other side a wider grate size to better support thin cuts like fish filets (I've never used it). Not as hot as the Wolf, but seems to have both some convection and IR heat that does a serviceable job on burgers, chicken and steaks. I can get a decent crust on a medium-rare rib eye if that helps. It's close to an outside gas grill in the house imo. For entertaining, is great for grilling apps while people are milling around. Inside grilling, hood with warming lights and someone prepping food helps congregate the guests and does have a certain wow factor, truth be told. Cleaning usually involves putting a disposable aluminum cooking pan upside down over the grate and running it on hi for about 10 minutes to burn it off (an old Wolf grill trick), let cool and a quick soak and a wire brushing in the sink. 10 minutes max. Would be interested in hearing about the BS grill in the event you get to play with one.
    ...See More
  • hvtech42
    9 years ago

Thank you for a valuable review based on actual first hand experience.

>The sales associate said this comes with the territory with this type of stove. (?)

You are right to put a question mark there, that is complete BS. Maybe it comes with the territory on a Bluestar though LOL.

I have a question about the oven. This is the one with the "PowR Burner" that has the gas flame shooting out around the convection fan, correct? What kinds of mode did the oven have? Was there bottom heat as well, and if so, could you switch between it and the conviction burner? Can you turn the convection fan on/off? If yes to either of those questions, which mode(s) did you test the oven in?

People's mileages vary and there are certainly many happy Bluestar owners, but it seems that there are just too many complaints about quality control and faulty designs to just ignore them, especially when you take into account that this is a relatively low-volume, niche product. It used to be that Bluestar was what you bought if you wanted to get close as you could to a true commercial range in your home. But now, the days where Bluestar could ride on being the only one with powerful open burners are over. They have 2 competitors, with possibly more to come. Although the competition isn't without their share of horror stories too (like any appliance), they seem to be well ahead of Bluestar in build quality, fit, and finish. Bluestar really needs to step up their game. Their new electric wall oven looks intriguing and I hope it works out well for them.

• weissman
    9 years ago

You said that you didn't try convection. For baking multiple racks of cookies, you probably would have had different results if you had used convection. I don't have a BS range, but I use convection for nearly everything except things needing bottom heat like souffles.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Oops I missed the part about not using convection. Yes using it is a must if you want even results on multiple racks at once, however OP says they tried different racks which implies they were only doing one at a time. Still curious about the oven burners.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your honest review. I hope you find the one that makes your heart sing? What are you going to try next?

I agree there are some passionate fans for certain ranges on the forum. It's always good to hear multiple opinions. 12 dozen cookies! Did you try the flour burn test?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Curious if you would consider the RNB since it has a different oven configuration IIRC?"

Nope. I do not want a BlueStar oven. Period. I would consider the rangetop as a possibility.

"I agree for a $10k range one had better love the thing." No kidding! We didn't even used to spend this on our vehicles, let alone a kitchen stove. This would have been considered a lifetime investment piece, similar to the piano my FIL bought my MIL years ago when money was sort of too tight to do it. But, it has brought her, and thus him, years and years of pleasurable music and ministry to have it in their home.

"What I find amazing is that gas ovens are a technology that has been around for how long, and manufacturers can't seem to perfect it?"

It really causes one to wonder, doesn't it?! I was looking at Agas this week along with antique and vintage stoves. What strikes me as interesting is all of the smaller ovens on the old timey stoves. Were the old-time manufacturers onto something, heating multiple small boxes more evenly, rather than trying to heat such a large single box?

"It is sad to see that purchase of an expensive range can be such a complete crap shoot quality wise." It's unconscionable, Rococogurl. It really shouldn't be this way, I don't think. I've shared my frustrations with my dad and he asked me if I was looking for something that just doesn't it exist. It sure feels like it.

"It would be fascinating to see, f.ex. how a Lacanche experience chalked up against this one."

Anyone want to let me come let me bake 12 doz. cookies at their house? I'll share. ; ) They're yummy, at least when they turn out nicely!

Glad to hear you think I was given a line of hooey on the gas smell, hvech2. I do want to get a gas cooker, but I DON'T want to smell gas when I'm cooking in my kitchen!

"I have a question about the oven. This is the one with the "PowR Burner" that has the gas flame shooting out around the convection fan, correct? What kinds of mode did the oven have? Was there bottom heat as well, and if so, could you switch between it and the conviction burner? Can you turn the convection fan on/off? If yes to either of those questions, which mode(s) did you test the oven in? "

Yes, I tried a Platinum, which has the "PowR Burner." That thing is quite a sight to see in the back of the oven. It looks like an undulating, pulsating blue sun.

The convection turns on and off with a switch located to the left of the control knobs for the burners. We definitely used the oven with the convection on, and I'm pretty sure we tried it with the convection off as well. We tried doing double racks in several different locations, as well as single rack baking with only one sheet at a time. We also used my 13 x 18 pan in the smaller oven which does not have convection.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question on whether or not there was bottom heat as well. DH says he doesn't think there was heat on the bottom, but that would have to be verified.

Thanks for commenting, Weissman. You helped me to go back and edit my original post for better clarity. I was hoping the convection would help even out the baking, but unfortunately it did not.

Thank you for your encouragement everyone. I was sort of dreading posting this review. I hate to have to be negative about an appliance that has impressed a lot of people. There could be so much to love about this range...if baked evenly. I loved the idea of fitting full-sized baking sheets in the oven. There aren't too many others out there that will do that. But, it does me no good if it doesn't bake nicely.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, we cross-posted, Gooster.

"What are you going to try next?" Good question! I thought we were going to try a second-hand traditional Aga for a couple of days. That got squelched when we did the math on how much it would cost to run it with propane. We could buy multiple stoves with the LP gas costs, alone.

So...that sent me back to researching. In a round-about way I ended up looking at Consumer Reports, and in an even more round about way, I ended up perusing Reviewed.com's oven recommendations. Both places ranked a similar Frigidaire gas range very highly. And it's less than a 10th of the cost of the BS. But, no, there wold be no test drive. It would be a "buy to try." : P

The reviews for the Frigidaire unit glow on the sites that sell them. I read through most of Frigidaire's Consumer Affairs complaints today after our local appliance dealer told us they steer clear of Frigidaire products because they don't hold up as well as the Whirlpools they primarily sell. (But they'd order one in for me if I wanted them to do so.) Well of the approx. 430 Consumer Affairs complaints, about 424.3521 of the complaints were about Frigidaire Fridges, not stoves. So, that made me feel a little bit better. (?)

The thing is, we'd be putting 2 stoves (I have the hardest time calling them Ranges--those are where the buffalo roam!) side by side in our kitchen. Likely our current electric circa 2011 Maytag and a gas unit. The aesthetics of it are killing me, LOL. But at least the price isn't! And from the sounds of it, they bake great. : )

"Did you try the flour burn test?"

Nnnooo...I don't know what that is. (I did the "arm burn" test...I accidentally brushed my arm on the inside of the range while moving a tray of cookies. Yep, it burned all right.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire at Reviewed.com that I'm considering

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I don't think it's quite fair to make a conclusion about the RNB oven based on your Platinum experience. The PowR burner thing is very new and hasn't been tried by any other manufacturer. It's no surprise that there are issues with it in the beginning. The RNB uses a more tried and true gas oven design, and I wouldn't be surprised if it performed better.

Putting 2 ranges side by side is a great idea. You get the functionality of a 60" range for a fraction of the price, even though it may not look as nice. And, you get something you don't with the 60" range which is the flexibility of having dual fuel ovens and cooktops. You can take advantage of the strengths of both fuels, and also get a sense for which you like better by using them side by side. If I had that setup I would be using the electric range most of the time though, I don't really like anything about gas ovens, and the one thing I like better about gas cooktops compared to electric radiant is their quicker response time. But induction solves that problem! I like gas dryers, furnaces, and water heaters but never again would I have gas in my kitchen.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 22:00

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd be looking into a separate wall oven/rangetop situation maybe.

And no fair using a sniff test with a pregnant nose! Nobody can pass that test!! :D

Thanks for the review. Cookies are important!

• practigal
    9 years ago

That Frigidaire is the stainless version of the range I have in white. Rust aside (think barkeepers), it does a great job but I really think you need to consider putting 6" to 12" or so between your two ranges. As if you think about it you will realize that you normally stick the pot handles over the side of the range but you lose the ability to do that if there is another range right next to it that already has a pot where the handle would go.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

If you really liked the burners, then I'd go for the split approach and get an oven more to your liking. Or a DF range, if you bake more than roast and want electric

I honestly don't think you'd be as happy settling for two lower end ranges if you expectations have been built up by BS, Lacanche and the like.

Some people take flour and sift it into a pan (like your CI, which is unforgiving to uneven heat) and let it scorch the flour.

What appealed to you about the Aga?

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

It's funny that you mention pianos. French chefs used to refer to their ranges as pianos.

Just FYI on Lacanche, they will find someone near you and arrange for you to see it and possibly test drive. Worth a call if you're serious about an investment piece.

@hvtech: " I don't think it's quite fair to make a conclusion about the RNB oven based on your Platinum experience. The PowR burner thing is very new and hasn't been tried by any other manufacturer. It's no surprise that there are issues with it in the beginning."

I don't think it's fair to sell something untested to the public. Not in this price range. It wouldn't be acceptable in a car and shouldn't be in a stove.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I don't think it's fair to sell something untested to the public. Not in this price range. It wouldn't be acceptable in a car and shouldn't be in a stove.

I agree with you. They should not have brought the Platinum to market without more testing. I'm just saying that the RNB probably works differently as it uses a completely different (and much more proven) oven design. I don't recall hearing many uneven baking complaints from RNB owners.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 8:20

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Laughable

It is unfortunate that you were not able to test drive an RNB. I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that the Platinum seemed to be having oven issues. My RNB oven bakes beautifully. The fan is a little loud but otherwise it is great.

Others--Companies have issues with some products. Goodness knows that Wolf has enamel chipping issues. I don't see anyone trashing Wolf in general though.

• practigal
    9 years ago

OT...I think that a product should work as presented regardless of price...paying more for a mal- or poorly- functioning product impacts a smaller group of people as the product is not as widely distributed, but it feels just as bad to the purchaser/makes the purchaser just as angry as the person who can only afford a hot plate...and the person who can only afford a hot plate has a lot less to fall back on.
    I am glad you seriously took this range for a test drive (I have never done 12 dozen cookies in my life!) I am sorry that its reviews were accurate. The smaller range does have much better reviews so you may want to consider that. On the frigidaire, be sure to check current reviews....my controls are super sensitive and it takes only the slightest touch to make it smell like escaping gas-that may really impact your decision if you have children in the house. Whether this or any other brand, if you go with gas, I recommend a CO2 monitor.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True enough, it might not be fair to judge the RNB by the Platinum. I am coming from the standpoint where I was told that the Platinum was supposed to "fix" the problems of slow preheat and uneven baking that the RNB supposedly had. I would have test driven an RNB if I could have, since that was what I was originally interested in. I had to go with what the showroom had for me to work with, which happened to be the Platinum.

LOL fori! : ) Even in a non-prego state, I think I could have smelled the gas. I think pregnancy just made it worse.

Oh no, Practigal! I didn't realize the Frigidaire was the same range you were referring to in my query for help. "That Frigidaire is the stainless version of the range I have in white." White? White! That's the color I was planning to get if we go that route. The picture in my link just happened to be SS. This is a bummer! Would you be willing to post a picture on here of your rust issue? I'd like to see what's going on.

I see your point of space between the ranges, but I don't have enough inches to spare to easily do that. I thought about the handles, too, and was hoping it would be a somewhat similar situation as a 36, 48 or 60" range that has multiple burners in a row, side by side.

I don't know how much my expectations really have been built up, Gooster. Yes, I think LaCanches are gorgeous, yes the BlueStar top was fun to cook on. But, for everyday get the meal on the table situations, I can cook on just about anything if I need to. I'd slate myself in the "get it because we cook camp" rather than a "get it because it's a recognizable symbol camp." I'll use Dad's Kenmore as an example. No, the eggs weren't quite as stunning as on the BlueStar, but they still tasted great. No one in our circles has anything fancy. If anything, I'd probably feel a bit awkward having a "stunning" range in my kitchen.

"It's funny that you mention pianos. French chefs used to refer to their ranges as pianos." That's really interesting. : ) DH came up with the comparison, actually. I can barely carry a tune in a bucket, but I love to make a good meal. My MIL despises cooking, but will happily sit and give piano lessons all day long, day in and day out. She thrives at that piano. I'd rather whip something up in the kitchen, singing out of tune while doing so. ; )

"What appealed to you about the Aga?" Good question. Always on. Multiple ovens. A simmering oven. The reports of great tasting food. It was supposed to be more forgiving of imprecise cooking methods. I'm prone to putting something on, getting distracted, and then making a mad dash through the house (too bad there's not an Olympic event for vaulting over small children and their toys...) to get to a pot that's boiling over or an oven that's smelling suspiciously smokey. We briefly thought it might supplement our heat, but that turned out to be a no go. and...it's pretty. ; ) I've got enough of an artistic heart to be drawn to prettiness. I've since found out that while they do beautiful stews and roasts, they are trickier to bake in, so I'm relieved we didn't go through with the purchase.

I'm trying to sort out the rangetop/cooktop wall oven combo vs. 2 stoves issue. It seems like the wall oven shopping is fraught with challenges as well.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

@nycbluedevil -- The Wolf porcelain chipping is a scandal for what the ovens cost. People don't get hostile to them though, because they respond, repair and replace and not just once.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Sorry I carefully "bar keeped" all of the rust on Thursday...it appears to me that water forms as part of the combustion process and drips to the low point around the burner and little bits of brown appear not too long thereafter. I have gotten much better at sponging and drying the stove top with a paper towel. I note that almost all appliance warranties exclude rust so it would not just be this range...

• practigal
    9 years ago

I either missed one on Thursday or the rest comes back pretty darn quick. See photo.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I agree with Fori and Gooster - that is, to get the Bluestar rangetop, and another brand's wall ovens. There have been so many threads about Bluestar ranges on this forum - I guess hundreds. And a common theme is that the burners are awesome, but the oven has all sorts of problems. From your review, it sounded like you loved the burners. Plus wall ovens are more ergonomic - no bending almost to the floor. And if you are cooking at the rangetop, another family member can tend what is in the oven(s), versus a range, where you'd have to step aside.

I've seen Electrolox wall ovens recommended often on this forum. Also check out the DCS wall oven, less well-known. Another suggestion - instead of two wall ovens, try a wall oven/speed oven combo. There have been a few people on the forum who have liked this set-up a lot.

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

It seems that most of the problems people have reported with BS are with the oven. I have a rangetop so I can't comment on the oven. The burners work excellently, so maybe that's a route people should consider.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@laughable -- my regrets comments was that I just didn't want you to finish your project and then turn back and say, well I should have....if that is what you truly wanted. Splitting it up could be the answer, or maybe trying the Capital rangetop out.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so glad that you piped up about your Frigidaire issue, Practigal. Thank you. I don't think it was a coincidence that you were participating in this thread. So..is it crumbs of rust dropping down from the burner...or, is it rust coming up through the paint...or is it oxidation of the gas itself, that maybe it is burning "dirty"?

Good ideas, Mrsnyefnyef. I have an update, but I'll share it at the end of my post. ; )

I agree, Eurekachef. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BS rangetop after test driving it (unless you don't like standing over a high heat cooker.)

"my regrets comments was that I just didn't want you to finish your project and then turn back and say, well I should have..." Ah, I understood what you were getting at much better that time, Gooster. That makes a lot of sense.

Here is the update: I found 2 incredibly good deals at Goedekers website this weekend for scratch and dent Miele's. The cooktop (yes, a cooktop, not a rangetop) is 42" wide and has 6 burners. They looked like they are configured *perfectly* for the way we cook. Originally I was looking for all the same BtU's on the burners, but these should work fine because of the configuration. Originally I was looking for sealed burners, which this has. The knobs are off to the side rather than on the front. I find this to be a nice feature since I tend to lean into whatever I'm cooking. This way I won't be lighting the stove with my belly! Also, little ones will have a harder time reaching the knobs. Finally, at about $1200 less than full price, it was too good a deal to pass up.

They also had a set of 30" Miele Master Chef double ovens for almost half price (open box). I hemmed and hawed for a while on this one. It's definitely more high-tech than what I was originally looking for. In order to do the cooktop, we'd have to head into wall oven land. Wall oven land was full of techy gizmos. Given that, I might as well try one that is highly regarded by bakers and has the lowest repair rate in the industry (according to Yale Appliance's website, anyway.)

Thank you all for helping me process this big decision! I really appreciate the input each of you gave me.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Sounds like you got a great deal! I don't know anything about Miele cooktops or wall ovens. However, I have a Miele DW, Miele washer and dryer, and Miele vacuum. They all work great, and I haven't regretted for one moment the high prices I paid for them.

Next question then must be - what hood for that 42" cooktop? I actually would not recommend a Miele in this one case, because all the Miele hoods I've seen are glass and have mesh filters. Those are two things that are an absolute "no" for me in a hood. Give me a proper canopy shape, baffle filters, and 24" depth, and I am set (oh, and good ductwork too).

• Fori
    9 years ago

Isn't it nice when a good deal helps you make a good decision? I think you'll be pleased.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I hope that you really like the mieles!
    On mine, the flame burns a beautiful blue, I have no reason to believe it is a bad mix, but it is a combustion process and one of the byproducts that results from the process is water. The main area where it is occurring is right around the base of the burner. The burner cap normally covers the top of the burner so that you don't really see it unless I remove the cap which I did to take the photo. It does come up immediately with barkeepers friend, but it also comes back in short order. I have never had a kitchen appliance rust before. There does seem to be a luck of the draw element to this as I have met other people who are (or are not) having the same problem. I wondered if Frigidaire had cheaped out on the paint such that you would be better off sending the range top to an auto body shop and have them do a really good powder coat job before you start using the stove...or is some environmental regulation made it such that this was happening. Frigidaire was completely uncooperative on this point they only assured me that the warranty did not cover rust. I have also talked to people who are (or are not) having it happen on their stainless....The only thing I noticed in common is that all of the warranties do not warrant against rust (actually I think one did warrant against rust for 90 days woohoo!)...from what I see on the web, the miele warranty does not cover damage due to "atmospheric conditions" or "forces outside of our control"...notwithstanding, I hope you enjoy the heck out of your new appliances!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Miele ovens require a bit of a learning curve because of the combination settings. Believe there are several older Miele oven cooking threads that should be searchable here. The rotisserie makes the best chicken ever.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your purchases! I agree with @MrsNyefNyef -- sometimes a deal comes around like fate to nudge us in the right direction (I too was struggling with a decision until out of the blue came an opportunity to buy my range at 33% off)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I freaked a bit after seeing some of the older Miele oven threads (looks like they had some issues for a time a few years ago) but folks assured me that those have been resolved. Phew.

Rococo, if you know what might be some good threads to look at, could you point me in the right direction if you get a chance? I'd like to go into using it with a little knowledge since folks seem to agree that the manual leaves a lot to be desired. I was trying to find those threads, but found the scary ones instead!

Yes, I was very thankful to find a deal on these. Here's hoping they serve our family well. DH is planning to start the kitchen come mid-January, so I'll try to give an update once we're up and running. : ) (Can hardly wait!)