SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Using corn gluten, and when to sow Tall Fescue

My poor back yard has been nothing but weeds for YEARS! I'm self employed and really never had a lot of time to work on it, but in the last couple of years I've started gardening to relax.

I have pets that roam freely back there (it's fenced in), and I encourage "friendly" wildlife (birds, squirrels, etc). One of my dogs (a beagle mix rescue) is 13 years old and has stress seizures, though, so I'm very careful with chemicals or anything that's not natural or pet-safe.

Last September I installed underground sprinklers, then aerated and then sowed Tall Fescue. That worked out pretty well, but I still have a lot of weeds and bare spots that I'm trying to fix. I'm also dealing with grubs, black ants, moles, and voles! One major problem is a section with no sun and no way to let water run off (which is probably the source of most of my other problems)... I have a fix in the works, but it's pricy so it'll probably be a project for 2022.

I recently ordered Corn Gluten, and now I'd like some advice on when / how to use it.

I mowed it high on Saturday. Do I just spread the corn gluten on top now? Or do I need to aerate first?

How long do I wait before overseeding with Tall Fescue again, trying to thicken it up and fill in the bare spots?

Last year we had a frost on May 15, but most of April has been in the high-60s or low-70s!

Pics...

This is from an upstairs window, giving you most of the lawn except for the Eastern and Southeastern side. The Southeastern section is completely shaded from the sun because of my garage, where the shadow you see here comes from the house. The lawn also slopes to the Southeast, so water mostly runs to the cement floor of the garage and then gets trapped.

Now I'll point out some bad spots... this section is almost entirely weed. I'm not sure what kind, but the cut stalk is a lot thicker and tougher than grass:

Here you can see some of the bare spots I was complaining about:

And here you can see a patch of clover; this usually extends all along the walkway, but I manually pulled a lot of it out before I mowed:

Comments (13)