SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Can you confirm that this is K31 Tall Fescue?

I spent several years (decades, really) of sowing a mix of grass seed from Lowes, without really understanding that it was throwing out a bunch of random seeds and seeing what sticks. So my lawn became a blend of God-only-knows how many grasses, and countless weeds.

Last year I began sowing a higher quality K31 Tall Fescue, and thought it was doing well until I realized that a lot of what I thought was the K31 was actually weed and undesirable grass. After some research, I decided to bite the bullet and start pulling what I don't want by hand.

I haven't mowed in 2 months, and spend 1-2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week pulling weed. I'm about 2/3 of the way done, and hope to be finished before it hits 65 degrees (just in time to sow new grass).

Here's my question.

I have 2 dominant types of "grass", so before I sow anything new I want to make sure that the one I like is the K31, and not something else.

Here is the grass that I like:

It's thick, soft, deeply rooted, and after 2 months it's only about 8" long.

Here's the other kind that may not even be grass:

I haven't worked on this section yet so you can see a lot of weeds mixed in there, but I'm specifically referring to the tall, thin blades with seeds on top.

These are up to 4' long, the blades are very thin and wispy, and the roots are pretty shallow.

I really hope that the first two pictures are of my K31, and the second two are just some random weed. I'm going to be very disappointed if I do all this work, just to find out that I'm sowing more of this grass that I don't like! LOL

Comments (17)