SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Does Any Kitchen Cabinet Door Manufacturer Offer Custom Painting?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a nice storage cabinet I use in the kitchen to store kitchen supplies. This was apparently hand-made in Mexico. All the surfaces are hand-painted. The doors are more interesting than the photo suggests, with a light brown tone on the outside face, followed by a reddish tint on the inside recessed section, followed by a light yellow to orange-brown in the center. All of these colors vary within their defined sections, so it feels like the background of a painting. As you can see in the photo, someone invested in doing informal custom paintings on every door. While I am sure this "Mexican informal rustic farm style" is not in everyone's taste, every person who walks in the kitchen immediately comments about this cabinet and how much they like it. I was wondering how it might be possible to duplicate this kind of design on kitchen cabinet doors that are painted in the same color scheme. There would be no custom image painted on each door, just compatible color variations within each door.

Does any vendor offer such customization as a standard product? If not, would I then be forced to just order unfinished doors and have them custom-painted by an artist? It looks like the finish on these is almost like a decoupage with multiple thick layers of lacquer.

Given the choice to use custom paints and heavy lacquer to finish the doors, would it even matter what kind of wood was used for the veneer? Would this kind of finishing technique let you save substantial money on the unfinished door by using a cheaper veneer? What would be the best options? Note: I would still want the core of the door to be an extremely good quality multi-layer plywood. I am just not sure if I need to invest in high-end Brazilian cherry veneer when the type of wood probably is being entirely hidden by the paint. The idea would be to find a veneer that has a rich-looking texture when painted but is cheaper than a high-end wood. What would be the best choice to give the doors a nice texture for the paint, but save money on the door cost? How should I specify the door options to the manufacturer of the door?

Comments (9)