SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Cucumbers didn't do well in container last season

Hopefully, someone can help. Tried planting 2-3 cucumbers in a 23" diameter container last season, planted first week of June. Ended up with maybe 8-10 cucumbers through the growing season (June-October). Leaves turned yellow and brown and some plants just died and needed to be replaced. Over the years, would plant about 6 plants in a ground garden which always produced tons of beautiful cucumbers. That isn't an option anymore. I know I have read that the containers need to be larger for cukes to be healthy & produce. Maybe the 23" diameter container was not big enough? One thing I was told wrong by a gardening store which might have been the "killer" was that it was okay to use Miracle Grow's Garden Soil. I told the employees that it says to use "in ground", and that this would be used for container growing. They insisted it would work. I ended up adding a peat mixture to make the soil a little less compact. Maybe that was what proved to be bad for the cukes because I had beautiful and plentiful green peppers and cherry tomatoes. Help and thanks!

Comment