SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Should I hire a GC for small bathroom remodel?

plan2remodel
3 years ago

I have been planning to remodel my secondary, hallway bathroom for several years, but keep postponing it. I hired a designer, architect, and licensed GC for my previous remodel of two bathrooms and a kitchen. I had so many problems with the GC that I am tempted to be a homeowner-GC on this small project.

Some of my concerns with the GC were: he hired unskilled labor for the work, although he had promised licensed subs; he double-charged on everything ($1800 for one day of painting); he submitted all change orders after work was completed, without discussing in advance; chaotic work schedule; vague specification about what work was included in the project; inadequate worker's comp coverage for his "employees." I agreed to pay the GC 20% for oversight; in reality, he billed 100% -- double the cost of the project.

If I hire another GC, I will want in writing exactly what work will be done within the scope of the project and the names, addresses, and insurance information for anyone who will be working on the project. Can I find a GC who will agree to my attaching a Requirements Specification to the contract?

For example, I want to specify that the shower curb has a 5-degree pitch toward the interior of the shower. I want the price to include replacing the subfloor (which is damaged) and replacing the insulation (to conform with CA's newer requirement). One design-builder told me that replacing the subfloor would be a change order, and not included in the contract because they won't know until the linoleum is pulled up whether the whole 60-square foot subfloor needs replacement.

I am generally easy-going, but I get upset when people I hire make mistakes and are unwilling to fix their mistakes. If I mange the project myself, my worry is with "finger-pointing." For example, if the framer makes a mistake and I don't notice it until the shower is tiled, then it becomes my mistake.

I have a licensed plumber, electrician, and drywall installer that I trust. I can likely find the other trades that I need for the project. I don't mind if it takes longer to get the work done if I manage it myself. The GC I hired previously was so inept at scheduling, that I had to take over that part of the job.

What do you think? Should I try to hire a GC? Or do it myself?

Comments (8)