SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Plumbing Recommendation for Shower Head, Hand Held and Tub Spout

nehome
3 years ago

I'm looking for some real life recommendations regarding the plumbing for a 30" x 60" alcove tub with a shower head, hand held shower and tub spout. What I understand to be the options are Option A. 3-way/6 function diverter with a non-diverter tub spout. With this option, all three water sources would be plumbed to the Diverter (tub spout plumbed to port #3) and the bottom port of the mixing valve would be plugged. Option B. 2-way/3 function diverter with a diverter tub spout. The tub spout would connect to the bottom port of the mixing valve, the hand held and shower head would connect to the diverter with port #3 plugged. The tub spout diverter would be required to force the water up into the shower/ HH diverter.

The advantage of Option A is one diverter to control all 3 water sources with the additional shared functions of tub + shower head or tub + hand held. However the disadvantage is low water flow through the diverter to the tub requiring more time to fill the tub and possibly water gets cold before the tub is completely filled. Option B would assure the quickest fill of the tub but the diverter tub spout is one more thing to malfunction down the road, and no shared functions with tub.

How can I determine or does someone have a real life experience or plumbing experience to advise me if Option A (tub spout plumbed to diverter) will create an unacceptable amount of time to fill a tub?

Why am I asking this? Because my stupid (but reputable) plumber had 2 guys working on this job. First plumber plumbed for Option B (tub spout plumbed to mixing valve) and the second plumber installed the trim which was intended for Option A and realized that ooops the water won't come out of the shower head and hand held with a non-diverter tub spout! Apparently neither plumber looked at the rough-in or trim products before beginning and the owner failed to read or communicate my 3 e-mails that informed him of the products that I purchased. Products include Brizo (Delta brand) 3-way/6 function diverter (3 single/3 shared rough in R60700), pressure balance mixing valve (Delta Valve Rough in R10000) and a Brizo non-diverter tub spout. I am now working with the owner of the plumbing co (who will do the work himself) and need to direct him to attempt to replumb the pipes from a skinny closet behind the shower wall or to replace the non-diverter tub spout with a diverter tub spout and solve this problem "easy". I would be left with a diverter trim that has 3 "blanks" so I would insist that the diverter trim/catridge be replaced. My concern is if I have him replumb for Option A the water flow to the tub may be terrible.

If you care to read on....Sales Rep, at reputable plumbing store, advised for the 6 function diverter and non-diverter tub spout, with Delta's confirmation. Initially she included a High Flow Valve Rough In. I questioned that since the specs stated no tub outlet. At this point I didn't have any understanding of how the plumbing works. She changed it to the R10000 valve and said the water flow would be fine but didn't explain the difference between the two. There had been significant confusion, and conflicting feedback from Delta, prior to this about what products worked with these 3 water sources. At this point I started to educate myself as to the plumbing behind the wall to make sense of the options and confirm that the sales rep knew what she was talking about. I came across this diagram in an article on faucets.com

Option A on the right and Option B on the left.

I now understood that the recommended products assumed Option A set up and questioned the Sales Rep (and shared this diagram) and independently called Delta . All assured me it would all work. Plumber said we don't care buy what you want and we will put it in.

After the install and plumber (1st plumber who did the behind the wall work) telling me he never plumbs for Option A, I called Delta again and that Rep tells me yes option A (plumbing tub directly to diverter) works fine, but then checks with manager and says Delta does not advise that configuration due to low water flow to tub!!!! I would appreciate a third party input because I'm getting all kinds of conflicting info! Thanks for sticking with this tale if you have made it this far into my story.

Comments (12)