SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Adding a hand-held shower to existing tub?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

We're planning to update our guest bath; paint instead of paper, a new Toto loo, new cabinetry, and add a secondary hand-held shower. We're keeping our tub as well as its tile surround. We currently have a small rainhead mounted conventionally. Unfortunately, my son has grown so tall he bumps into the back lip sometimes. So I plan to install a gooseneck version which will elevate it about 3" - 4" but I'm not sure of the best way to add a hand-held to the configuration.

I have seen rainheads with the extra piece threaded in so that a handheld taps into it then hangs on the wall adjacent. It looks a little busy in the few pictures I've found. If we are trying to keep our wall tile, though, that would be the only way to do it, wouldn't it? Surprisingly, there is no access panel in the linen closet that backs onto the tub's plumbing, which strikes me as a tad unwise, but maybe that's common in more modern construction?

We will replace our tub spout and controller, too, but not sure that helps us any. Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994