SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

March 14, Pi Day. Show me your Pi(e)

3 years ago

OK, so I'm a few days late. Elery just ate the last piece of the pie, though, so I stretched Pi(e) Day out, LOL.

I found a couple of bags of sour cherries from our trees at the farm that had been in the freezer since 2018, so they seemed like perfect candidates for pie. I added a bit of almond extract because I like that addition in cherry pies and crisps. I think the cherry filling was just a bit tart, it could have used just a little more sugar, but Elery said it was perfect.

So, show me your Pi(e)! Or at least tell me about it, I've never met a pie that I didn't really like. My least favorite is apple, but I've been known to eat that too, LOL. Coconut cream, lemon meringue, pumpkin, pecan, rhubarb, strawberry, it's all good in a pie.

Annie

Comments (25)

• 3 years ago

does an impossible [bisquick type mix] asparagus pie count?

annie1992 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's a sloppy cherry pie that I made, but I did not have sour cherries, and so that may have been part of the problem:

It tasted good anyway. I probably should have added more cornstarch.

I consider this pie mainly a failure, but I do not have any other photos of pies. For some reason, I do not think to photograph the good ones.

My favorite pie to make is probably lime, and those always come out good for me. Second favorite is chocolate hazelnut Bavarian cream pie. No photos of those that I've made either, and I've made a lot of them - perhaps more than I've made lime pies. I generally make lime pies when I live excess limes on my lime tree, but that hasn't happened lately. I think that tree needs a bit more attention.

I did not make apple pie this season, as I chose to dehydrate as many apples as possible. I guess I could make a pie with dehydrated apples, but I've not done that yet.

annie1992 thanked Lars
  • Related Discussions

March 14 - Pi Day

Q

Comments (16)
    Reminds me of Justin's old joke about the kid home from college and the father asked him what he's learning and the kid replies algebra. Father says "OK talk some algebra to me." Son tries to tell him it's not something you just speak it's math and the father says I paid all this money to send you there now talk some algebra to me right now or you're not going back. So the kid replies, OK Pi(r2). Father smacks him in the face and says "Shame on you for wasting all that money. You've been skipping classes. Everybody knows pie are ROUND! CORNBREAD are square! And having southern relatives, it just is a bit more amusing to me than to most perhaps.
    ...See More

Happy Pi Day! today

Q

Comments (13)
    Even though I was good at HS geometry (stunk at math, though), I realized the use of Pi when I bought a house and wanted to put a mulch circle around a tree and edge it with plastic edging. Then I learned I don't need to take Pi beyond the decimal, because the edging came in 20' rolls. Some kids in my son's third-grade class had a Pi contest: how far out can you memorize and recite Pi? DS won, closely trailed by the girl who had a huge crush on him through high school. He is still such a math kid. Won't write an English essay to save his life but took Differential Equations for fun. And finally, the Purdue engineering school cheer, according to my dad (I can't type in math on my tablet, so forgive the modern English representation) "E to the x, dy, dx E to the x, dx. Cosine! Secant! Tangent! Sine! 3.14159!" And to this day, I take Pi out to 5 places (even though edging comes in 20-ft rolls).
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 3/14/21

Q

Comments (21)
    It's snowing again here on the outer Cape and temps are going down into the teens tonight. So here is another winter photo from our time in the Netherlands - a walk in our neighborhood during the unusual snow. seagrass
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Sa 8/14/21

Q

Comments (31)
    Murraysmom - Thanks for the identification and the name makes perfect sense. I just thought it was so pretty when I spied it in the woods behond our home.
    ...See More
  • 3 years ago

I made two cherry pies -- one for me and one for a neighbor. Sigh, not from my trees but frozen cherries and yes, I always add a bit of almond. It was delicious!

annie1992 thanked User
  • 3 years ago

I haven't made pie in a while. I love apple, either in a skillet

or as a crostata.

I love coconut cream and loved making it, but it's too much for 1 person. I miss it.

annie1992 thanked Jasdip
  • 3 years ago

I don't have pictures. It was savory buckwheat galettes. I didn't make them myself, but i 2^3 Σ π

annie1992 thanked plllog
  • 3 years ago

Here's a fruit tart that I made:

Not all my pies are messy.

annie1992 thanked Lars
  • 3 years ago

I never have enough cherries to make cherry pie. Cherries are my favorite fruit, I think

No pics, but I made a tomato pie for the first time ever, using a recipe I saved from this forum - which is the same as one from SimplyRecipes.com. The recipe calls for basil, but I don't have any right now, so I used fresh dill & parsley, which I have tons of. OMG it was so rich and good!

This is tomato season for me right now and I have lots of wonderful home grown tomatoes and I used pate brisee for the crust. I will definitely be making it again.

annie1992 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • 3 years ago

Annie, my DH would kill for that cherry pie!

From my old photobucket posting days. My sweet mom's strawberry pie filling before I added the whipped cream topping. This is often a part of Easter's menu.

annie1992 thanked chloebud
  • 3 years ago

A little late, but it was delicious in all its coconutty goodness.

• 3 years ago

Dave/bragu, it all counts, sweet or savory.

Jack, that counts but I think it's cheating, LOL. Of course, you DO have to bake it, so it'll work. (grin)

Lars, sweet cherry is Elery's favorite, but we usually eat all the sweet cherries long before they become pie, our trees are small and young. Your fruit tart, though, that is just beautiful and spring like and perfectly arranged, it's almost too lovely to eat. Almost. And yes, you can make apple pie with dried apples.

Jasdip, I love your cast iron pie, you make so many things in cast iron. As for the coconut cream, that's one of Elery's favorites too, and I seldom make it, I don't know why except there are so many pies and so little time!

Martha, I don't know what it is about almond extract, but it really adds that little bit of extra something to cherry, I think. Mine had a full top crust because I took a slice to Mother and she says it's not right if it doesn't have a top crust, LOL, lattice is unacceptable! She likes the crust better than the pie, of course.

Plllog, if the galettes were provided to you, they are still yours. At least you ate some pi(e), LOL.

Carol, we love cherries too, but those sour cherries are so sour I could not eat them fresh. Elery does, but no one else does. Well, except the bears! Tomato pie, though, I'm envious. Here tomatoes are still at least 3 months away, probably closer to 4, and the tomatoes in the store are terrible. I'll have to wait.

Chloebud, I just planted 100 strawberry plants last year, I'm hoping for lots of berries this spring. All I have to do is beat the chipmunks to them! I'll think of your Mom when I make strawberry pie.

Annie

• 3 years ago

This is an Ikea pumpkin pie. The instructions and the rest of the ingredients are inside...

• 3 years ago

Annie, I'm jealous of all your strawberry plants! :-)

• 3 years ago

No pi day here, and it's one of my favorite holidays. I just started a new job and it's kicking my butt. They haven't had anyone in the office for about five months and the place is very disorganized along with it being a government job so everything to start is convoluted. I don't know if it will get easier. It's also quasi non-profit so I also have a board to deal with. Nice people but there has been some drift for quite a while . . . I also have to learn Quick Books and a whole lot of other procedures . . . ugh. Very handy though, just a few miles from my house.

I have the makings of an apple cherry slab pie though. And an impossible cheese and sausage one. Not sure which one I will get to first . . .

This post is making me swoon. Pie is my favorite dessert. Annie if the pie is too tart, that's what a la mode is for . . . hope you're feeling good after the minor surgery . . .

• 3 years ago

momdino, you must have posted just as I was posting. The pie looks delicious!

LOL, Ricky, Pi(e) for the do-it-youselfers! (grin)

Chloe, stop by and help me chase chipmunks, I'll share the berries!

L, congrats on the new job! I feel you on the QuickBooks, I had to learn when I took the Township Clerk position and I still just hate it, nothing is intuitive at all, and things that should be easy are made hard by the computer wizards that invented the blasted thing. And don't bother to call for support. First, you won't get any and if you do it'll be some poor girl in a busy call center and you won't be able to understand a word she says because the background noise is overwhelming. Ugh. Did I mention I hate QuickBooks? I hope you have a better time with it than I do.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm feeling pretty good now. I slept the first day and had a pounding headache the second day. Now that eye just feels kind of gritty, and I keep thinking that I need to take my contact lenses out, but I don't have any to take out, LOL. And every time I wash my face or use those eyedrops I reach up to take my glasses off. I've had them so long that it's hard to get used to not having them...

Annie

• 3 years ago

"...stop by and help me chase chipmunks..."

Love to! 👍🏻

• 3 years ago

Christmas awhile ago. I make cherry pie every year and in July. That's all my son ever wants for Christmas and his birthay, since he was 10 ;^) must be our tart cherries too. No almond extract here, that's why mom has to make it. Since he has moved out, he has discovered, crisps! Haha, less work for him.

• 3 years ago

So jelly!

No fresh tart cherries available here - ever ☹️

And the sweet ones are pretty expensive, since I buy organic. I often pay more per pound for organic produce than I do for organic meat.

• 3 years ago

Chloebud, stop by any time! However, the berries will be ready about June, plan ahead, LOL. Some cherries might still be left then too!

heatheron, that's a very neat idea for your pie crust, I'll have to remember that. Your son is right, though, crisps are easier than pie, and equally delicious.

Carol, organic produce is expensive here too, so I grow as much of my own as I can. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the birds out of the cherry trees, the chipmunks out of the strawberries, the turkeys out of the corn patch, the deer out of the garden and the groundhogs out of everything! One of my sweet cherry trees is the creamy colored Royal Ann, which is supposed to fool the birds and they think it isn't ripe. We'll see, I guess...

I have made cherry jam from the sour cherries but I seem to be the only person that likes it, and I made cherry BBQ sauce too, but it wasn't a big hit. I did make an awesome cherry sorbet from them, though, and I'll make that again.

Annie

• 3 years ago

I made a lemon cream pie for Pi Day.

I have a question about frozen cherries. I usually buy cherries packed in water in a jar from Trader Joe's but I'm not shopping inside stores yet. I use the water--I simmer it to concentrate the flavor and it makes a perfect juicy pie. Yesterday I bought frozen pie cherries to make topping for cheesecake and for pie. Will sugaring them make enough juice when baked in a pie and when simmered on the stove?

• 3 years ago

Yum, Eileen, I love lemon pie.

As for the cherries, I find that mine have plenty of liquid if I just add sugar. Some people like more of the "goo" that comes in commercial pie fillings, so you'd have to add liquid for that.

I've never tried just using them in a pie in the frozen state, I always put them on the stove and that way I can be sure they are thick enough that they won't run all over the pan when cut. Cherries can vary a lot in moisture, even the ones picked from the same trees at different times or in different years.

Annie

• 3 years ago

Thank you, Annie. So you simmer them even for pie? Do you add sugar and cornstarch after that? Otherwise I would've just tossed the frozen cherries with sugar and cornstarch like I would for any berry pie.

• 3 years ago

Eileen, I do simmer them for pie, but I dump the frozen berries into a pan, add the sugar and cornstarch and stir, I don't simmer the cherries first. As they thaw, they give off enough juice to melt the sugar and the cornstarch thickens the juice. If it's not thick enough, I can add more cornstarch before I dump the cooked filling into the pie shell.

Annie

• 3 years ago

Oh, I see. You make a cherry pie filling on the stove instead of the filling making itself inside the pie.

Thank you, Annie!

• 3 years ago

Yes, that's a much easier way of saying it!

Enjoy your pi(e).

Annie

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022