SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madisonpostz5

How does Francis Meilland handle MidwestZ5 climate?

Madison Post
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Roses have come to my area! I was astonished to see a giant, healthy Francis Meilland Rose at Home Depot in a 1gal pot with soil. All of Home Depot’s potted dormant roses look great (they aren’t in body bags bare root; but rather in a 1 gal pot with canes displayed)

My dream (That I hope to make a reality someday) is to sell cut flowers with an emphasis on roses, so a rose like Francis Meilland would be incredible! (Highly recommended cutting flowers by Grace Rose Farm as well as Menagerie!)

...except one thing. I’ve read some old threads on here claiming that FM is 1) a stingy bloomer, and 2) isn’t as cold hardy as sellers claim (z5)

What are your guys’ recommendations? I am willing to give FM the prime spot, and to baby it a bit and offer as much winter protection as possible, but is he really worth it? Is he as stingy as some folks claim, or is he the magnificent bloomer in flushes throughout the season? Is there any cold tolerant alternatives that you prefer? (Think for cut flower farming, with main market for weddings)

P.S. I am currently a stay-at home mom and my husband is a full time grad student, so to say we are on a tight budget at the moment is an understatement. Hence why I’m REALLY wanting to make every rose purchase count this year and not hoping

to risk even a $15 flop!

Comments (28)