SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_nemiroff

Bad tile job- what can be done?

Jenny Nemiroff
3 years ago

I had my master bathroom redone in August and the contractor did a terrible job in my opinion. I signed off on the job and paid him but everytime I get in my shower I find new problems. I'm wondering if he was even qualified to do tile. In the beginning of my remodel, I worked with a designer who created the plans for the shower. Due to Covid and other obstacles, she wasn't very involved after drawing up the plans so she never saw the finished results. I reached out to her recently and showed her pictures. She was horrified and showed the pictures to other professionals to get their input. They all basically concluded that the contractor had used dull blades to cut the tile, resulting in jagged edges and he had not used the proper grouting silicone so the grout lines look awful and blend together where they should be clean looking. She then reached out to the contractor, who has agreeed to come and fix/ redo (?) the grout. I'm not sure I even trust him to do it but I'm tapped out financially and can't afford to bring in someone new all together. So I'm wondering:

1. Is a contractor with a B license considered qualified to do all trades accross the board? Should he have brought in someone with a certificate in tile?

2. If the B license is not enough to consider him qualified, what recourse do I have to go after him?

3. Can I demand that he bring in someone with a specialized tile certificate to do the corrections?

4. Do I have any other options? If I have a solid case, I will definitely go after him. I just need to know what exactly I can go after him for and what's reasonable to request/ expect?

I'm open to any and all input. I'm so devastatated by this because I paid close to $30,000 for a bathroom that looks like I did the tile job myself. Is there any hope for my bathroom or did I literaly throw 30K down the poorly grouted drain?

Comments (7)