SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabithakay

Bad Tile Job

tabithakay
12 years ago

We just bought our house and all the floors needed to be done. My bf and I took out all the carpet and his friend said that he would be able to do the floors. He did our first floor(1000 sq feet) of tile. I was under the impression that he had done this for a living but was just taking time off. So he got half way through the job(10 days) after taking three days off leaving my house looking like a crap hole, throwing trash on the floor and such. I looked at the tile he put down and some of it was coming up there was thin set EVERYWHERE like 4 feet up on walls all over base boards. It was a total mess. I brought in three other tile guys and they all told me the same thing the thin set wasn't mixed right and all the tile would end up coming up in a year or less. My bf told his friend that I went and hired someone else(which is true) he still insists that we pay him $1500.

We didn't put any kind of down payment down. My bf and I had to tear up the tile that was already laid down, had to buy more tile and supplies.

We hired someone else who put the tile in in 7 days and it looks amazing. They worked totally different than the other guy I swear he had no idea what he was doing. The original guy was cutting tiles inside our house, he poured thin set down our kitchen sink and washed his tools in the kitchen sink!

He is now harassing (via text) my bf for money and threatening to come to my bf's work because he claims to, "know how much money he makes" and thinks we should be able to give him money. I would like to give him NOTHING he ended up costing us a lot of money and stress.

If you are still hanging around after that long story, thanks! What would you give to the guy? What should I say to him?

Comments (4)