SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_858149926

Bad Tile Job...What are my options?

HU-858149926
3 years ago

I apologize beforehand for the long post, but I feel I should provide ALL of the information in order to receive fair responses. My husband and I are currently going through our first renovation. We were recommended a person that could do tile work for us. Floor tile installation and shower tile installation. Step-in shower with 2 nooks and a bench. We sent him pictures of what we wanted it to look like including how we wanted the tile work in the nooks to look like. He said he could do it. We purchased the tile beforehand and he looked at it before he quoted us. When it came time to install the shower tile, there were a few issues:

1. The tile that we chose was entirely too big to fit our shower space. There would have been a lot of cutting and it would have looked ridiculous. Tile guy actually pointed this out when he first starting showing me the layout. I asked him if he had a problem if we went with another tile. He said no and I asked him what the price change would be going with a smaller tile, specifically subway tile. He said no price change and that smaller tiles were easier because he didn't have to cut as much, didn't have to worry about big pieces bowing and as long as we didn't go with some elaborate design, it was fine.
  2. Our contractor mistakingly looked at the wrong measurements for the inserts for the nooks. When tile guy went to install the inserts, the framing was not done correctly. We called our contractor, he said he could be there first thing in the morning to fix it. He was and it was fixed.
  3. We did not know we needed some type of rounded or glazed edge for a clean look. He did not mention this to us until he started to lay out the tile to show me what it was going to look like. I asked him about the edges and he said well you didn't buy any bullnose tile pieces to finish off the edges so this is what you are going to see, unfinished edges. We then discovered that the tile we went with no longer had the glazed edges that matched in stock any longer. Tile guy recommended a shluter system Color-Coated Aluminum Tile Edge Trim. We found one that matched exactly and went with that and had it for him the next day.
  4. He started to place tile and when it got to the nooks, he said we were going to run into the same thing and the edges were not going to look clean. Same thing with the threshold. I reminded him of the pictures we took and his confidence in being able to accomplish it. He said that he didn't have the right tile cutter that angles the tile edges to look like that. So instead of getting what we wanted, we decided to go with the schluter system for the nook edges as well and we found a marble piece for the threshold. We were honestly willing to concede this one as there were many other reno disasters that we were dealing with unrelated to this particular shower tile installation and we just wanted it done. There was no delay in getting materials to him (thank you to the supply gods that aligned that perfectly) and we had them at the ready for him that day so he could continue working.

Also, I should say that most of the work done by tile guy was at night after other jobs he had during the day, so the delays were minimal since we had discovered these issues right before he was leaving for the night and had a fix for him the next day.

He finished grouting and we paid him in cash. My husband was going to seal the tile when it was ready. The next day I notice that the dried grout was not a consistent color and there were pinholes all over the place. There was also a tile that was chipped that he left in there. I ask him to come back and fix the tile that was chipped. He fixes it. I don't really take a very close look at it after that. Too trusting of him, I guess. Fast forward 1 month later...our shower sat there unused as there was a delay in receiving the glass door and when we did receive it, there was a part missing. We waited 2 weeks more. After the door was finally installed, I noticed that there was grout cracking in the nooks. I called tile guy and he said he would come by to fix it, but he was booked the next 3-4 days and he would call us with 24 hour notice as to when he would be there. But he also commented on what a "nightmare job" this was when I spoke to him. He said that nothing was ready when it was supposed to be and there were too many delays. He also asked me if the grout was sealed correctly and that could be why. Then he proceeds to tell me that the grout could also be cracking due to the fact he couldn't put a seamless waterproofing seal underneath the tile because he decided "in order to move the job along" to waterproof part of the wall, wait for the framing to be corrected for the nooks, install the nooks and then finish the waterproofing. He gave some analogy about seamless seals that didn't make sense. Even if his explanation was correct of not having a "seamless waterproof seal" because of this, he basically admitted to sacrificing quality of work and being done correctly in order the get the job moving. Now I am angry and feel taken advantage of. I do some research: uneven grout color and pin holes are indicators that he did not mix the grout evenly and he added too much water? And grout cracking is a sign that he did not put enough grout in as well as not mixing it correctly. I also noticed that when he replaced the chipped tile, he caulked it and didn't re-grout. I decided to inspect every inch of that shower and I also found holes underneath the threshold inside of the shower where grout just wasn't even applied. 2 1/2 weeks and we have not heard from him. I sent him a message 4 days ago and I have not heard back.

What is my recourse? I have been told by people that I have grounds to make him rip and redo at his expense or have him pay someone else to do it.

If you are still reading this. thanks for sticking with me!

Comments (10)