SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klpanda

Can a bad tile job be saved?

klpanda
4 years ago

Hello! I recently had a subway tile backsplash done in my kitchen by a local company that also installed my new countertops.

The backsplash was really not done well, and i'm really dissapointed. They apparently had failed to order any edge/bullnose pieces, so the edges are all raw tile edge. The window above my sink bumps out, and the ledge and area surrounding the bump out are tiled as well, with the rough tile edges very obvious as they face forward into the room!

Additionally, the grout color is very inconsistent throughout. It's supposed to be a light taupe and it varies from a light light taupe to a dark gray/brown.

The company claims they can fix this and wants to send someone out to remove the edge pieces and replace with bullnose, and somehow fix the grout coloring issue. I asked them to send someone out first to show me exactly what they plan to do, but I don't have high hopes for how that's going to go.

Are there any tile experts here who can weigh in? My understanding was that once tile is in, it's done, and there's not much you can do with it. I'm uneasy about allowing them to "fix" anything.

Any thoughts??

Comments (8)