SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_867777625

Paint white, textured ceiling beam brown?

Julie R.
3 years ago

First post, folks. Bear with me. I’m a first time renovator, flexing my own design muscles.

In the context of this post, it’s relevant I’m replacing flooring throughout with a rich toned engineered hardwood (except in full bathrooms), and painting throughout and updating lighting from the 80’s. Also perhaps relevant: I’m from the southwest, so woods and desert tones really appeal- although my home is in Southern California, so I constantly fight instinct to take things “too far” (due to resale concerns).

Dilemma: I have an existing beam above the stairway that’s fully textured and painted white. I’m contemplating painting the beam a dark brown of some sort to match the tone of my new flooring. The existing railing in the stairs will also be stained similar to the new flooring. Can anyone confirm whether the idea of painting a beam brown turns out nicely...and not just an eyesore?

I proposed a couple options to my GC (including cladding the beam in wood), and he suggested painting it is best balance of cost/outcome. I’ve just never seen a brown painted, textured beam in person before, so I’m not sure. Any thoughts/experience?

Here’s a photo of my current room (white beam) and an inspiration room from an area MLS listing (dark beam, but I can’t tell if they wrapped it in wood, or what). The tone of my new floor is similar to the inspiration room.

Cheers.

Comments (5)