SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pussuskattus_gw

To ceiling beam or not to ceiling beam?

pussuskattus
13 years ago

We are building in an area of Houston where all of the homes are Mediterranean, and I want one that is more transitional or a "soft contemporary". Our home designer usually designs the Mediterranean or traditional homes, so he leaned towards a fairly traditional home when he designed ours.

But the floor plan is open and we are going to be OK with it since I am not trying to do a "jetson" contemporary, but more a transitional style.

However, I have very little knowledge or experience in decorating. And the decorator my builder has is not a lot of help - she leans the same way as the home designer. So I need help.

Our plan has a long gallery for the kitchen, the breakfast area and the gathering room all lined up, and the area is almost 50 feet long and 18 feet wide with an 11 foot ceiling. And the home designer put in ceiling beams in the gallery.

Do ceiling beams go at all with a transitional/soft contemporary style? I have seen some pix that are not too bad - where the beams are painted white - but the sytles seem to be a lot more traditional. But I just don't feel that the beams will fit the look I am going after. But then I am afraid the ceiling will be too high if I don't use the beams. (And I know my DH wants the beams, but he is a heavy traditional-style guy through and through)

Help? Anyone have something similar they can show?

Thanks, you all are so considerate to give of your time to help others that are clueless!

Comments (2)